Powered Subwoofers with Powered Speakers? Doable?

K

kendor

Audiophyte
I have a a pair of M-Audio AV30 power speakers. These are mostly made for use with computer audio, but I would like to use them with my Vizio LCD TV. I also have a Cambridge SoundWorks BassCube 8S Powered Subwoofer, and am wondering if I can use these together?

Not sure of the signal flow, or if this is even possible.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Try it out, does your tv have an analog RCA audio output?

it would say audio out ...

If it does have the output, I would hook it up with an rca splitter on one of the sides, then run a pair of 100hz high pass FMods on your monitors and plug your subwoofer into the splitter before the fmods....
Amazon.com : Mediabridge CYA-1M2F-P Ultra Series - RCA Y Adapter - 1-Male to 2-Female for Digital Audio or Subwoofer : Subwoofer Cables : Electronics
Amazon.com: FMOD Crossover Pair 100 Hz High Pass: Car Electronics

that will make sure your monitors don't get any of the bass your sub is reproducing, so no noisy muddy lows, and it will free up all that power from your monitors to the mid and top end... Then you can just dial in your subs built in cross over to how you think it sounds best.. Most likely around 100...

then use your volume controls to balance everything out.. I think it would be fine, and anything is better than tv speakers..

PS I would buy 2 of them splitters and run stereo to your subwoofer they seem to sound better that way, or split again at the sub...

So its easy enough, you would plug the fmods directly into your monitors, then the splitters into the female side of the fmods, then an rca cable set to your tv and another set to your subwoofer, both of which plug into each side of each splitter...

K

kendor

Audiophyte
Try it out, does your tv have an analog RCA audio output?

So its easy enough, you would plug the fmods directly into your monitors, then the splitters into the female side of the fmods, then an rca cable set to your tv and another set to your subwoofer, both of which plug into each side of each splitter...
Yes on the RCA out on the TV. Your solution makes sense and thanks for the advice...

Question is whether this is worth the investment? The M-Audio monitors are pretty good speakers, and I obviously can use these alone... but just was trying to see whether I could use the subwoofer that was hanging around...

I have been considering getting a soundbar (something like this: Amazon.com: VIZIO SB4021M-B1 40-Inch 2.1 Home Theater Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer: Electronics), which would obviously be cleaner, but there's also some expense here...

K

kendor

Audiophyte
OK, just hooked up the speakers directly to the analog out on the TV and the downside to this is that the TV volume control doesn't control the volume on the audio out... Sounds pretty good though.

E

exlabdriver

Kendor:

Sometimes in the TV Options Menu there is a parameter that allows TV Audio Out to be 'Fixed' or 'Variable'. I remember that my past Sony TVs had this feature....

TAM

K

kendor

Audiophyte
Just checked, it's just speakers on and off on this particular Vizio (no other options).

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Just checked, it's just speakers on and off on this particular Vizio (no other options).
Does the Vizio have a headphone jack? What's the model number?

Welcome to the forum, btw!

K

kendor

Audiophyte
Love all the fast and good responses... Unfortunately, the Vizio VU42L doesn't have a headphones jack on it.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Darn, I was hoping that you had missed something, but I just went through the owner's manual and didn't see any way to make that volume adjustable.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis