Powered Desktop Speakers

G

gpost3

Banned
Hi M8s,

Computer is my main audio source. Desk space is limited. So I am looking for active speakers so I don't have to buy a separate amp. It seems that most Studio Monitors tend to suffer from lack of bass response problem. Are there any active monitors/speakers will bass control? I want the woofer to jump a bit just like how my 5 1/2" speakers jump in my car. I have tried AudioEngine A5, M-Audio AV40 but not to my taste. I want them to be dynamic when I turn the bass up yet they should settle down for night listening when I turn the bass down.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I have no experience with these but this is an insane deal on a pair of M-Audio DSM3:
http://audiomidi.com/DSM3-Monitors-pair--P16319.aspx

$598 for the pair (free auralex mopads with purchase)

The MSRP is $949 EACH, and most places I see carry the speakers for $600-800/each.

Specs show an FR of 37Hz-27kHz but they don't specify any tolerances so that could be -10dB for all I know.

Audiomidi also has the DSM1 and DSM2 for super cheap prices ($398/pr & $498/pr). I've never purchased from them before either so maybe it's too good to be true or a price mistake...they could mean individual prices which would line up with most other places.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/StudiophileDSM3.html

G

gpost3

Banned
I should mention my budget is $200. lol:D

Can you also shed some light on -10db tolerance you just spoke about? I know that db is measure of SPL. So 37 Hz would be -10db compared to 0db reference SPL? each -3 db cuts the SPL by half so -10db at 37Hz sounds very poor.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Face it, until they amend the laws of physics and economics, with your budget and your requirements, you're better off looking at the plethora of three piece 2.1 systems out there.

I've always been fond of Altec Lansing for this market segment.

Last edited:
G

gpost3

Banned
Disagreed, I just found Behringer MS-16 that come with bass control. No need to ammend the laws of physics or your sex life. Thank you.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Good for you. I'm glad you found love and happiness with a pair of four inch drivers.

And, for that totally uncalled for "sex life" snippit, I'll hold off banging you with more red chicklets until it'll do some good. Right now, you're maxed out and it would be a waste. ...promise

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm glad that you found some speakers that you're happy with, but...
...totally uncalled for "sex life" snippit...
Agreed. Geesh. Mark was trying to help you. No need to be unpleasant if you disagree with the information.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
I am Very Happy with the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 good bass and nice clean mid and highs under $200.00 shiped. I was suprised how good the sound is. My Grand Kids won't stay off my PC for their games now.

G

gpost3

Banned
Ah well I didn't think my statement would be taken to heart in the way it was.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis