Powered bookshelf speaker question

P

Prino

Audiophyte
I'm in a little bit of a predicament I decided I wanted to buy and iPod dock but after thinking about I thought I'd be better off buying a pair of powered bookshelf speakers. I have a budget of $500 max less would be better. I would like to use them for my pc as well. I have narrowed it down to a few that seem nice and was hoping for some insight on which would be better.

The speakers in question:

1. AudioEngine A5+
2. M-Audio Bx5
3. KRK Rokit 5

Which would be best for general music listing defiantly want to have some bass. Mostly listen to hip-hop, rock, and probably a little electronic/dub.

Also if anyone thinks it would be a better idea just to get a dock like the Monster BeatBox or TDK 3 speaker boombox let me know. both of which are around the same price as these monitors(actually a little more).

Anyways, sorry for the long and somewhat disorganized post but i really would appreciated any feedback because I'm looking to buy ASAP.

Thanks,

Joe

Last edited:
96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
The speakers in question:

1. AudioEngine A5+
2. M-Audio Bx5
3. KRK Rokit 5
Add Emotiva Airmotiv4 to that list.

The A5+ were definately the best looking of the bunch, while the Rokit seemed to the lowest price, but with a price that low are the components cheap. The Bx5 has the most power, but again low price could mean low quality components. The Airmotive has the ribbon tweeter and also has separate amps for tweeter and woofer.
I say the real contest would be between the A5+ and the Airmotive. The adjustments on the Airmotive's are a nice touch to dial in the sound. Owning Emotiva products, I am leaning towards them. But if it were me, I would also add a small powered sub for those lower frequencies that none of these speakers can reproduce, but the Airmotive doesn't have an output, and the A5+ does. With all that, I'd go with the A5+. But I would also want to hear them as them before I made my final decision.

P

Prino

Audiophyte
First off thanks for the response. I just checked out those Airmotiv4 and looked to be a really nice speaker definitely added to the list. As far as a sub goes I already have a nice klipsch 5.1 setup (WF-35s with matching center and surrounds). For these speakers I'm really just looking to use them on my pc and mainly for playing music from my iPhone. I also really want my setup to be somewhat mobile as I want a nice set of speakers when I go on trips. Thought getting some monitors would be better then a iPod dock.

Definitely going to try and and order by tomorrow so any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Just wanted to add I'm considering the monster beatbox anyone know if this could compare to the previously listed monitors.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I like what Emotiva is doing with amps and some other components, but their pro line is really worth skipping over established Pro brands...
Besides if you lookup emotiv speakers reverse image search on google you might find exactly looking same Chinese speakers called ÉîÛÚÉùÜöÒôÏìÓÐÏÞ¹«Ë¾ ÉùÜöÒôÏì QMS Q5 Q4 MH5A MIDI DAC HIFI ½âÂëÆ÷ ÓÐÔ´¼àÌý
Emotiva says they made modifications, but still :(

I'd take advice from banned member with a grain of salt...

If Ipod use will be you main use - I think you should not bother yourself with pro monitors, but on consumer devices like AudioEngine a5+
They have great reputation and perfectly suited for the task

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If I were in the market for powered speakers right now, they would likely be the A5+ Too bad too, since they were on sale about a week ago for $70 off.

P

Prino

Audiophyte
Thanks for the responses. I think I'm just going to go with the a5+. Seem to be well reviewed most places and I would think they'd sound better then the $445 monster beatbox iPod dock. I did see were they were on sale, kinda of upsetting, but I don't want to wait ages for them to go back down in price.

Also as a last question would the Monster/Dr. Dre Beatbox compare to the a5+ performance wise because I could pickup the last one at my local Bestbuy for a $100 off.

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:
Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
I think that is a little different comparison. The A5+s will give you a little more freedom as well as to source. You can get a nice DAC (Audioengine, $169) and run your computer into it and then to the speakers.

The Monster/Dre Beatbox is not going to be designed to reproduce sound accurately like the Audioengines. The Beatbox is going to play towards the boomy bass and mids.

For $335, you couldn't give me two Monster/Dre Beatboxes, unless I knew I could sell one back to you for $335 and have mine free :)

Get the A5+s, set them up correctly, and enjoy music from both your iPod and Computer, potentially more, for a long time to come.

EDIT: A5+s will also give you an out to hook up a powered sub, so you are now talking a sweet 2.1 setup that will beast all over that Monster garbage.

P

Prino

Audiophyte
Well I couldn't decided what to do so I bought both:D. Both have 30 day return polices so I'll compare and keep the one I like. However, I did pick up the Beatbox from best buy for $300 and must say there actual a pretty nice set of speakers. Definitely not the most balanced (bass heavy for sure) or accurate speakers I've heard but they're powerful and suit their job quite nicely. Like I said before I have a complete Klipsch system with a Pioneer SC-37 receiver so this setup is more for parties, trips, and maybe my pc.

Thanks for all the input guys definitely helped me with the purchase

P

Prino

Audiophyte
Just an update, got the A5+'s today and must say their not even comparable to the Monster Beatbox. These speakers are in a different league I'd consider them on the same field as my Klipsch WF-35 floor-standing speakers (not as nice but a much closer comparison then to the Beatbox). Needless to say I'm super happy with A5+'s. The Beatbox is going back to the store tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the help

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis