Power Sound Audio XV-15 Subwoofer Review

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Not too early for me then. I found the customer service is just as good after the fact as it was before it.
I have to say the subs look mighty impressive from a spec point of view, what you get for the price seems to be market leading,

Jim: Are you just as happy with the subs as the customer service?
Seems like you have two yes?

With this price point it's no probs to get two subs and get the big benefit of having two of them :p

W

walke108

Audiophyte
I am a XV-15 owner and can speak from experience, the customer service is top notch and the sub is amazing. I definitely feel I got the biggest bang for the buck! Back to the customer service, they are not used car salesmen trying to sell you junk. I was never pressured once into buying. I emailed back and forth with Tom probably 5-10 times before and after the purchase. I had some questions after purchase that were answered within minutes.

T

Tom V.

Audioholic
Customer service is what you experience after-sales, not pre-sales and when something goes wrong!!!!
TOO EARLY to say anything about service until you actually bought something and something needs to be fixed

Seems like these guys are quite busy now, today it's a few more products on the website, compared to yesterday ;)
To an extent that is true(regarding customer service). Time will tell of course.

A "few more products" on our website? Are you sure you are looking at the right site?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

R

raynist

Junior Audioholic
Customer service is what you experience after-sales, not pre-sales and when something goes wrong!!!!
TOO EARLY to say anything about service until you actually bought something and something needs to be fixed

Seems like these guys are quite busy now, today it's a few more products on the website, compared to yesterday ;)
I have had just as many email exchanges after the sale than before. Some responses come at 1am!!

I have had dealings with Tom as far back as 2001 and have always received great service before and after the sale.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
To an extent that is true(regarding customer service). Time will tell of course.

A "few more products" on our website? Are you sure you are looking at the right site?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
POWER SOUND AUDIO — Power X

I'm lost.....

Two days ago the website showed that you have 3 subwoofer products
yesterday it showed four subwoofers, I'm sure I saw two different products with twin 15" drivers
Today it shows 3 subwoofers, only one products with twin 15" drivers...
(XS15, XV15, XS30)

Am I crazy or is there something spooky here?

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
You might be a little crazy. Every time I checked they've only had the XS15, XV15, and XV30 :D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

True. But it's funny sometimes how some companies give you the cold-shoulder before a sale too. I never buy from a company like that b/c you know what you will get after the sale too.

On the other hand, pre-sale support could very well turn out to be a waste of the vendor's time. To still offer the time without promise of purchase is a good sign in my book.

J

jbrown15

Audioholic Intern
True. But it's funny sometimes how some companies give you the cold-shoulder before a sale too. I never buy from a company like that b/c you know what you will get after the sale too.

On the other hand, pre-sale support could very well turn out to be a waste of the vendor's time. To still offer the time without promise of purchase is a good sign in my book.
I agree 110% with that statement, I've exchange about 10 different emails with Tom with no actual promise of buying anything. And right up front I've let him know that I'm looking at other subs along with the fact the running dual XS15's is the starting point for my budget on my upgrade of new subs. He has answered every question I've asked him no matter how silly or not it was.

Its customer service like this plus his track record at SVS that has me now thinking I'm going with PSA no matter what other subs I'm thinking about.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Do you ship overseas?
I know shipping may be killing in this case, unless you're very creative, and it seems like you guys are :cool:

Of course then we're not talking about one sub :p

27dnast

Audiophyte
Two questions for Josh Ricci:

1) You say: The XV-15 proved it is capable of output this low in room and managed enough output during this scene to shake some things in the room while not being obviously over loaded. However there was some accompanying audible port noise during this scene. This was the only time during the listening session that port noise was heard. One XV-15 is quite capable and will probably be sufficient for many rooms, however with the bargain pricing one will likely start to wonder how much more fun a pair would be. I know I did.

Do you think that running dual XV-15's would eliminate the port noise? How much more of an impact would two have?

2) I'm an HSU owner, but interested in PSA subs... Which HSU product would you consider to be a competitor to the XV-15? The VTF-2, VTF-3 or the VTF-15h?

Thanks.

J

jbrown15

Audioholic Intern
27dnast, you could look at the new PSA XS30. There would be no need to worry about port noise with this new sub. At first I looked at getting dual XS15s, and then I changed my mind and was going to go with dual XV15s. That was until Tom @ PSA released the new XS30s.

So I ordered dual XS30s instead! :D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Do you think that running dual XV-15's would eliminate the port noise? How much more of an impact would two have?
Since running a second subwoofer means that each one wouldn't be working quite as hard, instances of port noise would be reduced. A second subwoofer can add somewhere between 3-6dB generally speaking, but there are a lot of factors which impact this, one being co-locating the subs versus spacing them out to improve in room response.

I'm an HSU owner, but interested in PSA subs... Which HSU product would you consider to be a competitor to the XV-15? The VTF-2, VTF-3 or the VTF-15h?
In terms of max output capability per CEA 2010 burst testing, the XV-15 can deliver 1.5dB average greater output than the VTF-15H from 40Hz-63Hz, but about 2dB average less output from 32Hz to 20Hz.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
PSA customer service

I emailed Power Sound last night around 7-7:30pm and I had a reply by 10:30pm the same night.

Tom asked questions about room size, other speakers, and lay out of the room. When I've emailed other sub builders,the response was, "Our subs are great, just buy one."

So plus one for Power Sound Audio customer service.

J

jbrown15

Audioholic Intern
PSA has excellent customer service. Before I made my mind up on buying one I emailed Tom and told him I was looking at upgrading the subs in my theater and I was looking at about 6-7 different subs anywhere from $1500 to $2500.

Not once did he put down any of the other manufactures subs that I was interested in. All he did was ask for a drawing layout of my room and gave me an honest opinion on how the different PSA subs would perform in my room. And gave a small comparison of some of the subs that he had heard from the list of subs I was looking at. If he wasn't familiar with one of the subs he would actually go and do a little research on that sub to get an idea of how it would compare to a PSA sub.

I really considered a Funk Audio 18.0C because I live in Canada and they are manufactured not that far away from me. But after dealing with Tom I felt totally sold on his customer service and what looks to be a great product.

Coult_45

Coult_45

Junior Audioholic
bassaholics

There should be a running list of sub-woofers and their bassaholic rating. Maybe they should be listed in alphabetical order for each room size. This would really help the average person that is shopping for a subwoofer. It would give them a list of subs (older models and newer) that they should be thinking about based on their room size. It should be located in the what to buy tab. Is their a list that gets updated?

G

gajenn

Audioholic Intern
Just got mine yesterday, what a difference a sub makes...doesn't over power my other speakers. fills the sound,makes my b&w speakers sound 10x better. I play mostly movies with my 65" panny plasma, for ht this just totally rocks, but it's Massive. Looks good though, don't know why some knock its looks. It's not a highend wooden piece of furniture and unless you live in a warehouse its very large and noticable,but if you like deep clean bass then get one...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis