Audioholic Warlord
price of no consequence.

BUT, floorspace max of 20"x40"

thinking out loud:

dual V1500 (due to 14hz extension)
dual V1800
v3600i

or

quad S1500 (easily moveable, nice finish)
S3600i
dual S3000i (nice finish)

i'm a ported guy for that low bass kick, but i'm curious about that in-room extension
basically, the question is will dual S3600i's give me more than what i lose with a single V3600i?

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
let's check the facts using data bass numbers.

12.5 16 20 25hz
PB13 89.3 105.1 109.2 111.1
SB13 88.6 92.6 96.5 101.3

i know i need the extra kick at the 16, 20 and 25hz freqs (ported vs sealed)

current setup is a PC13U and dual stacked SB2000's (ported doing 40hz down, sealed doing 40hz to 80hz)

i know one PC13U is not enough, but i don't have any more floorspace. (i regularly bottom this out at my preferred listening level)

Last edited:
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
the question is will dual S3600i's give me more than what i lose with a single V3600i?
In total, I'd say yes. If you look at PSA's self-reported CEA numbers, yes the V3600i still has a marginal advantage over even a pair of S3600i's in the 16-25Hz range (122.4dB vs 115.1dB x2). However, that kind of simple analysis ignores a few key factors.

As you mentioned, there's the matter of extension; assuming some modicum of room gain, a pair of S3600's should net you a respectable amount of output down to 10Hz or below. The corollary to this is that such a setup would be harder to bottom out as well; below the tuning frequency of a vented design, excursion rapidly goes off the charts. In addition, ports tend to compress and chuff as they approach their limits. With respect to compression, what that means is that as you approach the limits of a ported system vs a sealed system with comparable burst output down low, the sealed system may actually be producing more output. It's also worth keeping in mind that many sealed systems can produce low end output in excess of their CEA burst rating, but with higher distortion. Depending on the makeup of that distortion, it may be relatively benign and go unnoticed.

Finally, there's the advantage of having double the drivers and double the power to keep in mind. On the face of it, it doesn't matter because you're probably thinking you don't need more output on the top end. However, what that additional output implies is that the system is using fewer resources (namely percentage of amp power) to produce any given level in the 50Hz+ range, leaving more on tap for producing the deep stuff. Given that we listen to complex content vs CEA bursts, the impact of this shouldn't be underestimated.

To put it all in practical terms, I'm not pining away for my old PB13, even though it technically has significantly more 20Hz burst output than my current FW18.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
once upon a time,

i had the SB13 in my room, it was fantastic for music
then i tried a PC12NSD which promptly trounced the SB13 for movies.

i'm just afraid i'll lose or miss that low end kick.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I understand that. I had my doubts when I tested the PB13 in sealed mode as well; there was a definite loss of kick for HT. IMHO, scale matters as well for reaching that threshold where your seat-of-the-pants meter reaches satisfactory levels. To put the SB13 into context, it's about as powerful as the old PSA XS15SE. Needless to say, the S3600i is much more powerful one to one, let alone with a pair.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i couldn't escape the pull of a ported sub. went with the ported option. once i save enough, i'll get the dual sealed option to compare as well.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
arrived november

headroom/output wise, the V3600 definitely has more than what I require

i have my PC13 5db hot, but i control my overall output by the master volume to keep the pc13 from bottoming in the grenade scene in WWZ.

with the V3600, i believe i'm at about 8 or 9db hot and ever increasing master volume ... until the wife came kicking down the door to tell me to stop.

the woofers barely move, though i'm not sure they are able to move much at all

-

midbass wise, there is "some" improvement over the PC13
but i'm not sure if i'm imagining that the PC13 + dual SB2000 has some advantage in the midbass or not.

i'm thinking there's still more to be had, but i'm limited to this one subwoofer location though.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
waiting for a listen:

now i'm thinking of trying the sealed versions

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis