Power Protection-What Are YOU Using?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I use the Furman PST-8 for both of my setups, which can be had for under $100 at Amazon. No battery backup, but not exactly a necessity in my neck of the woods. It's interesting inasmuch as it uses Furman's SMP, as opposed to a more typical array of MOVs.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I use the Furman PST-8 for both of my setups, which can be had for under $100 at Amazon. No battery backup, but not exactly a necessity in my neck of the woods. It's interesting inasmuch as it uses Furman's SMP, as opposed to a more typical array of MOVs.
SMP looks very interesting. I will certainly look into it. Heard good things about Furman as well. Tripp Lite is also well regarded. Really appreciate all of the input you guys are giving me.

Cheers,

Phil

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
A Panamax M4300-PM. Totally silent. Zero issues. Has protected our AV numerous time during power surges. I'm sure Panamax has replaced the M4300 with a newer model. Purchased it in store from Best Buy.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Just got in the mail battery replacements for my APC SmartUPS 750
I went with compatible vs OEM since reports claiming than OEM quality has dropped.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAZJ9Y8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
(2pack is what's needed to replace original batteries, plus easy transfer of wiring harness)
Less than $30 plus $70 for ups with (I know now - pretty bad batteries) overall - still good deal.
I also use a present from my old company - APC 8 outlets switching pdu (http://www.amazon.com/APC-AP7900-Switched-Surge-Protector/dp/B0000AAAYH) - they were throwing it out :)

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Folks, I found this here:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/power-cables/supra-mains-power-distribution-block-md06-us/

It really looks like a good deal. But, just want some input before pulling the trigger. Still learning here. Appreciate some input.

Cheers,

Phil
I doubt it is better then a cheaper unit. The most important spec is missing, and that is how many Joules it can dissipate. The rest is largely fluff. The linked review is totally bogus!

The best surge protection is at your panel.

I doubt the RF control adds much. RF does not usually get in via the AC line, as the power supply caps take cars of that, but via interconnect cables and funnily enough the speaker leads.

Taking care of live to ground, and neutral to ground and neutral to ground is largely bogus, as ground and neutral are connected at your panel.

Roof antennas and satellite dishes are a source of trouble. The only way to handle that is by large and properly installed grounding blocks. I say properly installed as they are a potent source of ground loops.

In the end nothing is bullet proof.

The best protection is panel surge protector and fast acting UPS units. The next stage is a generator and auto transfer switch in adverse weather conditions.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I doubt it is better then a cheaper unit. The most important spec is missing, and that is how many Joules it can dissipate. The rest is largely fluff. The linked review is totally bogus!

The best surge protection is at your panel.

I doubt the RF control adds much. RF does not usually get in via the AC line, as the power supply caps take cars of that, but via interconnect cables and funnily enough the speaker leads.

Taking care of live to ground, and neutral to ground and neutral to ground is largely bogus, as ground and neutral are connected at your panel.

Roof antennas and satellite dishes are a source of trouble. The only way to handle that is by large and properly installed grounding blocks. I say properly installed as they are a potent source of ground loops.

In the end nothing is bullet proof.

The best protection is panel surge protector and fast acting UPS units. The next stage is a generator and auto transfer switch in adverse weather conditions.
It looked like a good deal, but I was not too sure. That is why I posted here. Looking for something that will immediately disconnect my components if the voltage is too high and alarm me when the unit is no longer working properly. Those, are my biggest concerns. Of course, budget is always a concern for me.

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis