Power Protection-What Are YOU Using?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, now that I am back into the game just curious to see what any of YOU are using for power protection. I am in need of good basic protection for the usual:

40" 1080P Insignia LCD
Marantz SR6009 AVR
Sony Blue-Ray Player
Time Warner DVR (Samsung)
Arris Cable Modem W/ Landline
Rythmik L12 SW

So, I need at least (6) outlets with good protection for my HT needs. But, I also need protection for my Desktop Computer, Monitor, and Computer Speakers. One day, I may get around to getting a printer as well. As such, I need good protection for at least say (6) outlets for my Home Computer needs.

Been reading a lot of reviews and most people seem to prefer the APC brand. I am trying my best to keep costs down. I also do have renters insurance and I believe most of my equipment is covered in the event of a nasty surge. But, I still need some protection. Any recommendations?

Cheers,

Phil

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I got an APC toy for my sister when I hooked her up with your Polks which were Cherry BTW. It made a lot of clicking noises. Granted her house was added onto by the worst of what OK has to offer so I don't expect proper electrical work either ... as a matter of fact I found down right dangerous sh!t in how the oven was wired up. But I didn't like the APC. I know Monster is a morally flexible company but I run a couple of their power conditioners that I bought used.

HTS 3500 MKII and HTS 3600MKII

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I got an APC toy for my sister when I hooked her up with your Polks which were Cherry BTW. It made a lot of clicking noises. Granted her house was added onto by the worst of what OK has to offer so I don't expect proper electrical work either ... as a matter of fact I found down right dangerous sh!t in how the oven was wired up. But I didn't like the APC. I know Monster is a morally flexible company but I run a couple of their power conditioners that I bought used.

I did have a giant Monster Surge protector that had all the claims and shiny packaging. It failed and caused audible distortion.

I use APC as well, I have a small 2 outlet conditioner/protector hidden behind my plasma so wires are hidden, which is a standalone 15 amp circuit. My speakers, amps, and Oppo are connected to an APC, I think its called an H15 or something like that, but its a full power center with digital display and over/under voltage warning lights.

At the end of the day, its cheap insurance!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I use a few different brands right now, and I've used more in the past. I have stuff from Panamax, Tripp Lite, APC, Belkin, Furman, and more. I don't have any real expectation that they'll either protect my equipment or pay out the insurance if something is damaged, so I use them more as power strips that give me a little extra peace of mind. Perhaps my favorites at the moment are two power strips that I have from ORICO (or their US brand, QICENT), such as this six-outlet model with USB ports. I got them as samples, but I love that they are absolutely silent when plugged in and operating - and they aren't that expensive. I'd expect silence from all power strips, but that hasn't been the case. The Tripp Lite that I bought a while back buzzes and has since I bought it. Granted, ORICO/QICENT isn't a known brand (at least in the USA) for power protection, so I'm not trying to sell you on them - just saying that I think they are a good product for my needs.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I think it all comes down to the value if the equipment to protect and your location.

Here I'm high risk for weather related problems.

The next thing to understand is that nothing will protect you from a large direct strike, that comes out of the blue.

It is not just the power grid either. Antennas, satellite dishes, phone a cable systems come into the mix.

I consider a layered approach the best. For large thunder strike surges, the best place to have protection is at the electric panel.

Nearer the equipment, UPS systems are best. If a unit does not have a battery system it does not add much. A UPS will support voltage dips, which are also damaging, and for spikes with go to battery and disconnect the equipment in 5 msec or less. I use APC units. I don't deny that the cost and hassle of changing batteries is significant. In my view it is worth it. I use APC units, that were bought from APC refurbished 10 years ago and I have been pleased with them.

For the roof hardware, I use a large grounding block, connected with heavy copper to my three 7' copper grounding rods.

For prolonged serious unstable and dangerous power conditions, I use the ultimate protection and go oof grid and start the Wisconsin V4 powered generator. However when it that bad, the power usually goes out, and the generator usually starts before I have time to get the the generator control panel in the laundry room.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
The best place for surge protection is the service entrance (main breaker box) of the home.
These 'whole house' units are not that expensive and avoid the problem of having your interconnected equipment (in different areas of the house) wired to different types of protectors.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord

In Cherry eh....LOL???? Oh well, it has been a long time. YOU have has the 3500/3600 for a long time now. I would say YOU have gotten YOUR money's worth out of them. I don't plan to spend a lot of money on surge protection. Just seeing what is out there.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I did have a giant Monster Surge protector that had all the claims and shiny packaging. It failed and caused audible distortion.

I use APC as well, I have a small 2 outlet conditioner/protector hidden behind my plasma so wires are hidden, which is a standalone 15 amp circuit. My speakers, amps, and Oppo are connected to an APC, I think its called an H15 or something like that, but its a full power center with digital display and over/under voltage warning lights.

At the end of the day, its cheap insurance!
Yeah, it seems like most prefer APC. Tripp Lite is another brand I see mentioned a lot. Just going to see what is out there. Some of these protectors can get quite expensive.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I use a few different brands right now, and I've used more in the past. I have stuff from Panamax, Tripp Lite, APC, Belkin, Furman, and more. I don't have any real expectation that they'll either protect my equipment or pay out the insurance if something is damaged, so I use them more as power strips that give me a little extra peace of mind. Perhaps my favorites at the moment are two power strips that I have from ORICO (or their US brand, QICENT), such as this six-outlet model with USB ports. I got them as samples, but I love that they are absolutely silent when plugged in and operating - and they aren't that expensive. I'd expect silence from all power strips, but that hasn't been the case. The Tripp Lite that I bought a while back buzzes and has since I bought it. Granted, ORICO/QICENT isn't a known brand (at least in the USA) for power protection, so I'm trying to sell you on them - just saying that I think they are a good product for my needs.
Thanks Adam as I will be sure to check Qicent out. Never even heard of them until now. Appreciate the info!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I think it all comes down to the value if the equipment to protect and your location.

Here I'm high risk for weather related problems.

The next thing to understand is that nothing will protect you from a large direct strike, that comes out of the blue.

It is not just the power grid either. Antennas, satellite dishes, phone a cable systems come into the mix.

I consider a layered approach the best. For large thunder strike surges, the best place to have protection is at the electric panel.

Nearer the equipment, UPS systems are best. If a unit does not have a battery system it does not add much. A UPS will support voltage dips, which are also damaging, and for spikes with go to battery and disconnect the equipment in 5 msec or less. I use APC units. I don't deny that the cost and hassle of changing batteries is significant. In my view it is worth it. I use APC units, that were bought from APC refurbished 10 years ago and I have been pleased with them.

For the roof hardware, I use a large grounding block, connected with heavy copper to my three 7' copper grounding rods.

For prolonged serious unstable and dangerous power conditions, I use the ultimate protection and go oof grid and start the Wisconsin V4 powered generator. However when it that bad, the power usually goes out, and the generator usually starts before I have time to get the the generator control panel in the laundry room.
UPS systems? Not too sure what that is. I have been reading a little about it, but not sure what it is. A battery back-up system of some sorts? Another vote for APC!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The best place for surge protection is the service entrance (main breaker box) of the home.
These 'whole house' units are not that expensive and avoid the problem of having your interconnected equipment (in different areas of the house) wired to different types of protectors.
I have also read a lot about this. But, my land lord will NOT permit such devices. Hiring an electrician is also very expensive. But, whole house units are the way to go no doubt.

Cheers,

Phil

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
APC S15, APC H15, and a Cyberpower 1000AVR

The S15 and CP 1000 have battery backups for the projector and computer.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
UPS systems? Not too sure what that is. I have been reading a little about it, but not sure what it is. A battery back-up system of some sorts? Another vote for APC!

Cheers,

Phil
re: UPS - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply
I also vote for APC UPS - which I use to protect my home nas and network. For best results get one with perfect sine power. No nonsense - even smallest SmartUPS would help vs brownouts.
See some explanation between different series architecture:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APC_Smart-UPS

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I think I understand a little better. But, what is a brownout? I am NOT looking to spend a lot of money for surge protection. Just need something more affordable that will give me some adequate protection. You know, something to plug my 40" LCD, Marantz AVR, Time Warner DVR, Blue Ray, and Arris Cable Modem. Soon, I will also have a Rhythmik L12 powered sub.

I also would like to get something for my Desktop Computer, Monitor, Computer Speakers. Might add a printer down the road. Not too sure just yet. Just need some affordable recommendations. Plan to check with my insurance lady to see if any is covered under my renters insurance plan. If not, then I may add that coverage depending on affordability.

Cheers,

Phil

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
UPS has a battery back up that will allow you to safely shut your gear down, rather than interrupting the power supply in the event of a power failure.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I think I understand a little better. But, what is a brownout? I am NOT looking to spend a lot of money for surge protection. Just need something more affordable that will give me some adequate protection. You know, something to plug my 40" LCD, Marantz AVR, Time Warner DVR, Blue Ray, and Arris Cable Modem. Soon, I will also have a Rhythmik L12 powered sub.

I also would like to get something for my Desktop Computer, Monitor, Computer Speakers. Might add a printer down the road. Not too sure just yet. Just need some affordable recommendations. Plan to check with my insurance lady to see if any is covered under my renters insurance plan. If not, then I may add that coverage depending on affordability.

Cheers,

Phil
Define affordable.

UPS has a battery back up that will allow you to safely shut your gear down, rather than interrupting the power supply in the event of a power failure.
Only really needed for a PJ or computer. Most other AV equipment does not have an essential shut down protocol that it must go through prior to shut off.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Define affordable.

Only really needed for a PJ or computer. Most other AV equipment does not have an essential shut down protocol that it must go through prior to shut off.
Affordable to me is a little as possible. I just called my insurance lady and she will call me back. When she does, I am going to find out exactly what is covered AND what is NOT. There is a deductible of $500. I want to keep it under $100 if possible.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Blackout is then is no power at all. Brownout is then power is there but levels are not stable - ie lights flickering for example.

Some A/V and/or computer equipment may be damaged during brownouts.

I bought older/used model of this ups on ebay for a very reasonable below $100 including shipping and battery:
http://www.amazon.com/APC-Smart-UPS-SMT1000-1000VA-System/dp/B002MZUNXU
The SMT1000 looks very nice. However, I can NOT afford something like that. At least right now I can't. Down the road I may be able to get something like that. Thanks for the link.

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis