Power cord upgrade for AMP???

J

jayswizz

Junior Audioholic
Hello everybody,
I have read many articles about how upgrading the power cord for an amplifier will increase its performance, especially when listening to music through 2 channel. Does anyone have any expierience with this??? Is this true?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Is this true?
NO. Use the stock power cord and replace it only if it is broken or not long enough for your application. If you replace it, make sure you use the same gauge cord or lower. Thats it!

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
On a list of...

jayswizz said:
Hello everybody,
I have read many articles about how upgrading the power cord for an amplifier will increase its performance, especially when listening to music through 2 channel. Does anyone have any expierience with this??? Is this true?
...a million things you can do to improve the performance of your system, changing a PC wouldn't be on it...not even close.

When manufacturers started using PCs with IEC connectors, it was a manufacuring economy...not all countries use the same plug/outlet configuration. Sooo, instead of building utility-specific models, they simply included the proper cord for the geographic area.

Poof!!! A cottage industry was born.

jimHJJ(...bless it's pointy little head...)

ht_addict

ht_addict

Audioholic
jayswizz said:
Hello everybody,
Which amp are you talking about? If you want too replace the stock powercord make your own, its much cheaper than buying one of those exotic ones.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
dont even waste your time or cash on a power cord unless it needs to be replaced, ive tried a few exotic power cords in my systems & none did anything to better the sound, power cords do not have a sound of their own nor do they effect the sound from the system.

once the exotic cable industry accuired a following most manufacturers were forced to install iec receptacle's so the cable worshipers would not fixate on the captive cord & not buy their gear.

J

jayswizz

Junior Audioholic
ht_addict said:
Which amp are you talking about? If you want too replace the stock powercord make your own, its much cheaper than buying one of those exotic ones.
I have a B&K Ref 7250. I bought it about 6 months ago and I love it. It is my first seperate amp. I am using a Yamaha RX V-2500 as a preamp in a 5.1 setup. Speakers: Paradigm Studio 60s and CC-470 both V.3.(I did not purchase sides yet) The previous owner of the amp cut the ground prong off of the power cord and said this reduced the hum from the speakers. I do not know if this works or not, but I can put my ear to the speakers an essentially hear nothing.(extremely quiet) Is this safe? I want to move to a seperate preamp and had in mind a Sherwood Newcastle P-965 due to my budget. Is this a good move to increase the performance of HT and 2 channel stereo? This question should probably be in another section, but I'll ask here anyway. Thanks everyone.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Are you saying you aren't pleased with the current setup? What exactly is the issue? Start with making sure the speakers are well placed and properly calibrated, correct crossover, etc... I would expect the preamp and processing section of the 2500 to be decent, but not as good as the Sherwood. Electronics don't make the biggest difference - speakers, your room and the setup of the speakers within the room are the biggest factors.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The previous owner of the amp cut the ground prong off of the power cord and said this reduced the hum from the speakers. I do not know if this works or not, but I can put my ear to the speakers an essentially hear nothing.(extremely quiet) Is this safe?
NO!

I can't believe consumers sometimes. You lifted the safety ground. If you build up any static electricity and touch the chassis, you can get shocked which can be fatal to a little one. Replace that cord immediately with a 3 prong one, especially if the manufacturer warrants it use for the product.

If you are having a groundloop problem, it must be resolved elsewhere in the system.

J

jayswizz

Junior Audioholic
gene said:
NO!

I can't believe consumers sometimes. You lifted the safety ground. If you build up any static electricity and touch the chassis, you can get shocked which can be fatal to a little one. Replace that cord immediately with a 3 prong one, especially if the manufacturer warrants it use for the product.

If you are having a groundloop problem, it must be resolved elsewhere in the system.
I did not cut it off this is how I purcased it. There is no audible hum at all, it is super quiet. Should I replace it with a B&K power cord or is there an aftermarket cord I should look into?

J

jayswizz

Junior Audioholic
j_garcia said:
Are you saying you aren't pleased with the current setup? What exactly is the issue? Start with making sure the speakers are well placed and properly calibrated, correct crossover, etc... I would expect the preamp and processing section of the 2500 to be decent, but not as good as the Sherwood. Electronics don't make the biggest difference - speakers, your room and the setup of the speakers within the room are the biggest factors.
I am extremely pleased with the system. I did read a review online by a so called "expert" which said in a nutshell that the B&K Ref 7250 was a very good amp for the money, but of course he had an in depth analysis of it and did critique a few areas. These issues cleared up immensely when he added a higher grade power cord(cannot remember the brand). He actually found it neccessary to tell the reader this because he said it made such a noticable difference, especially in 2 channel stereo mode. This is the only reason I ask about how important it is to upgrade the power cord.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I did not cut it off this is how I purcased it. There is no audible hum at all, it is super quiet. Should I replace it with a B&K power cord or is there an aftermarket cord I should look into?
I understand it wasn't you that did it. Find out the gauge of the cord (ie. 12 or 14 AWG) and buy an OEM replacement. Even Home Depot will do.

J

jayswizz

Junior Audioholic
gene said:
I understand it wasn't you that did it. Find out the gauge of the cord (ie. 12 or 14 AWG) and buy an OEM replacement. Even Home Depot will do.
I called B&K and they said it is a 16 AWG. I found one on audiogon that looks nice. It is 12 AWG and 5 ft. long for 60.00. The guy custom makes them and has excellent feedback from buyers. I wnt to thank you for taking the time to help me. I am assuming that the 12 AWG is actually a bit better than the stock cord at 16 AWG. Would this be accurate?

J

jayswizz

Junior Audioholic
jayswizz said:
I called B&K and they said it is a 16 AWG. I found one on audiogon that looks nice. It is 12 AWG and 5 ft. long for 60.00. The guy custom makes them and has excellent feedback from buyers. I wnt to thank you for taking the time to help me. I am assuming that the 12 AWG is actually a bit better than the stock cord at 16 AWG. Would this be accurate?
I actually found a Mark Levinson 6 ft 14 AWG power cord on ebay for 20.00 with shipping included. I guess I should go this route, saves me 40.00.

J

jayswizz

Junior Audioholic
Wid said:
What about a replacement cable from B&K?
It was kind of wierd, when talking to them they said it was a standard 16 AWG computer cable, but did not offer to sell me one(although I did not ask if they sold them). I just said OK and ended the call. Very helpful to me, but I guess you can say not very pushy.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
jayswizz said:
Hello everybody,
The average home wiring is 14 AWG. So buying a fancy heavy gauge power cord, will only 'look' better. The few feet of new, heavy cord is negated by the forty or so feet, of
14 AWG in you walls.
You would get better results just by properly routing your wiring.

Wid

Wid

Audioholic
You can pick up a standard 16/3 power cord from PE for only a few $.

M

msfeinstein

Audiophyte
Ground loop cause?

gene said:

What actually causes this ground loop (IOW, how can I resolve it)? Is it a poorly installed circuit? Some problem within the equipment itself? Thanks.

Edit: I did some poking around and, lo and behold, found the article Ground Loops - Eliminating System Hum and Buzz stuck to the top of the Beginners and Audiophytes forum. Sorry for not searching the obvious places :eek:

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis