Power Amplifiers recommendations

T

Time_Lord

Audiophyte
Hey all, I am wanting to go down the path of using a separate power amp for my HT and music use.

Currently using a Yamaha 663, but will plan on using the 663 as the processor, and then use a separate power amp to drive the speakers.

My speaker setup is WHarfedale DIamond 9.3 and 9.cm for fronts/centre, and 9.1 for the rears.

WHere I live, cost of audio products are very expensive, so I tend to look for either run out models, or ex demo where possible (I live in Australia).

Now I am still tossing on whether to go with these class D amplifiers, or stick to the other ones (I think Class AB??)

ANyways I was thinking of getting either something in the rotel range, or NAD, or other brands people may recommend. I am familiar with brands like the Emotiva, but being that there are risks involved to import one, I would rather stick with brands that at least I can have warranty support here in Australia should ever the need arise.

WHat are people's experience with the likes like the NAD t955, Rotel rmb 1077. I know there is a rmb 1565, how is that like?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I recall somewhere sometime ago about Gene saying that a lot of the Class-D amps can only truly produce a max continuous power of only 50 watts, but with good headroom. I think he said the one exception that he knew of was the Axiom amp.

So I would personally stick to the good old solid state amps (class AB).:D

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I like EMO myself, but would hesitate seeing you aren't in the U.S. I think Rotel, NAD, and Parasound are great alternatives. Rotel has some nice class D amps worth a look, but I wouldn't use class D if your speakers dip to 4 ohms a lot.

Knucklehead90

Knucklehead90

Audioholic
For inexpensive solutions you might want to take a look at the pro amps available in your area. Behringer is the cheapest - Crown and QSC are more expensive - all make great powerhouse amps for a fraction of what retail amps cost compared to the power output.

Pass on the Pyle Pro if it's available - they often don't deliver the advertised power and tend to be less reliable.

T

Time_Lord

Audiophyte
I like EMO myself, but would hesitate seeing you aren't in the U.S. I think Rotel, NAD, and Parasound are great alternatives. Rotel has some nice class D amps worth a look, but I wouldn't use class D if your speakers dip to 4 ohms a lot.
My speakers are 6 ohms :)

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I recall somewhere sometime ago about Gene saying that a lot of the Class-D amps can only truly produce a max continuous power of only 50 watts, but with good headroom. I think he said the one exception that he knew of was the Axiom amp.

I would still like to see those measurements.... :confused:

This has been gone over and over again and yet to see any measurements period...

Its also funny to see Kal Rubinson whom writes for Stereophile has a set of B&W 802D's in his system powered by Bel Canto's Ice Power amps for years now, and when Bel Canto released the latest edition of that amp, he upgraded his old amps to the newest version... He must be out of his mind huh... :confused:

:cool::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
For inexpensive solutions you might want to take a look at the pro amps available in your area. Behringer is the cheapest - Crown and QSC are more expensive - all make great powerhouse amps for a fraction of what retail amps cost compared to the power output.

Pass on the Pyle Pro if it's available - they often don't deliver the advertised power and tend to be less reliable.
pyle is a terrible company, their products break down and over heat all of the time and their amps claimed 1000 watt ratings are if your using 1 ohm speakers, not very many people have 1 ohm speakers

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
pyle is a terrible company, their products break down and over heat all of the time and their amps claimed 1000 watt ratings are if your using 1 ohm speakers, not very many people have 1 ohm speakers
Unless your dealing with subs and then you need 1 ohm stable for several. And peaking at 1000w is whole lot different than 1000w continuous:)

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
there may be some 1ohm subs out there i dont know, but even the professional subs for like live stuff ive seen are still 8-4ohms and im sure their rating means peak not rms, their amps are very small and i highly doubt they can deliver that kind of power

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would still like to see those measurements.... :confused:

This has been gone over and over again and yet to see any measurements period...

Its also funny to see Kal Rubinson whom writes for Stereophile has a set of B&W 802D's in his system powered by Bel Canto's Ice Power amps for years now, and when Bel Canto released the latest edition of that amp, he upgraded his old amps to the newest version... He must be out of his mind huh... :confused:

:cool::rolleyes:
I don't know if this means anything, but I think this is the graph Gene was talking about:
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/amplifiers/seymour-av-ice-block-5001/SAV_BO.JPG/image_view_fullscreen

I think it says that this reviewed ICE amp can only maintain it's full rated power for 11 seconds @ 5 kHz & 0.2 seconds @ 20 kHz.

I think it also says that between 10kHz - 20 kHz, the maxium continuous power is less than 100 watts. At 15kHz-20kHz, the max continuous power is around 50 watts.

I could be wrong, though. :D

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
If audioholics ran tests on the 1000asp amps why don't they post measurements like they did for the Axoim amp like in this review. http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/amplifiers/axiom-audio-a1400-8/a1400-8-measurements

I just don't get it when they make such claims but don't really show the data to back it up.... Unless they don't really have the equipment to do the testing and Axiom was furnishing the graphs and test data for them in that review...

If I missed these real world tests I would just like to see them to back up the claims. I'm always happy to stand corrected.

C

Chicagorep

Junior Audioholic
Look at Parasound, They're high wattage and High current. THey will drive those speakers all day without ever breaking sweat.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis