PotPlayer downgrades DTS channels and bit depth?

Zach_N85

Audiophyte
Using PotPlayer with LAV Audio Decoder, when I play a DTS-HD movie, I get the following:

6 -> 8 Channels which is good
However, the bit depth becomes 16 from 24.

With DTS:

6 -> 2 channels, I don't understand why? My RX-V681 reads DTS and I get sound on all 6 speakers.
Bit Depth becomes 16 from 32, again I don't understand why.

Here are my LAV Audio Decoder settings:

My Audio Renderer in PotPlayer is set to Auto, but it happens if I change it as well.
Video card is GTX680 which fully supports up to 24 bits.

Can someone help me with this please? Thanks

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
don't know lav. You could try playback with Kodi and set audio to pass-thru in expert settings.

Last edited:

Zach_N85

Audiophyte
Happens with PotPlayer's built in audio decoder as well...

Tried Kodi, I am getting passthrough but I don't have any playback info like I get in PotPlayer so I can't know if the issue happens there as well.

Just to make sure I'm clear, I am hearing sound on all 6 channels and my receivers indicates "DTS" or "DTS-HD" on the OSD. I'm just not understanding why PotPlayer says it is downconverted from 6 -> 2 channels and the bit depth is downsampled from 32/24 bit to 16...?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
in Kodi to get playback codec info press "O"
http://kodi.wiki/view/codecinfo
Lav may downsample according to settings on windows playback device.
I prefer to simply the process and just opt for pass-through for best quality as long as your receiver supports the audio format.

Zach_N85

Audiophyte
Thing is, in PotPlayer I have set passthrough so it is not making sense why it could downsample. I am getting the DTS signal and any volume changes I make in the player are not affecting the receiver so I know I am in passthrough mode.

Tried Kodi, it does show the correct stream and shows 24 bits, but I am not able to get DTS-HD passthrough on it.

I have enabled all the needed settings:

Passthrough
AC3 capable receiver
DTS capable receiver (This disabled DTS-HD Encoding)

Where is the DTS-HD passthrough setting? Using 1.6 Jarvis

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thing is, in PotPlayer I have set passthrough so it is not making sense why it could downsample. I am getting the DTS signal and any volume changes I make in the player are not affecting the receiver so I know I am in passthrough mode.

Tried Kodi, it does show the correct stream and shows 24 bits, but I am not able to get DTS-HD passthrough on it.

I have enabled all the needed settings:

Passthrough
AC3 capable receiver
DTS capable receiver (This disabled DTS-HD Encoding)

Where is the DTS-HD passthrough setting? Using 1.6 Jarvis
Switch to (stock) confluence skin. Change Options level to expert. Select HDMI WASAPI sound output option.
http://kodi.wiki/view/audio_quickstart_guide
You should be able to see option to select "DTS-HD capable receiver"

Zach_N85

Audiophyte
Thanks, I was able to get it to work, however, now I am really confused:

Here is Suicide Squad, a 24 bit audio track, on PotPlayer, it says 24 -> 16:

On Kodi, file info says 8 bit?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis