Potato Head style connection

droseofc

droseofc

Audioholic Intern
Im running a subwoofer to rear of room roughy 20 feet. I have a few subwoofer rca cables and random rg6 coax cables none that are long enough. Went to radio shack and options were coax fem to rca female or coax female to coax female. Got one of each plus I have 2 coax females to rca male. 1st question is there any chance of negative effect by running rg6 and rca in the same line to sub? 2nd question- im like a foot or two short so instead of running another rg6 into the line is it ok to run the connection through a surge protector that has a coax in/out? Radio shack didnt have rca F to rca F otherwise I wouldnt have to mix cables and for visual purposes I'd like to connect to sub rca cable coming out of sub.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Lol this sounds like something from thereifixedit.com. IIRC, for my sub cable I took a pair of stereo 10-meter rca cables and just ripped the wires apart. It was cheap and readily available at Radio Shack. My sub is also on the opposite end of the room from my receiver.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk 2

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. RG6 is 75-Ohm, just like the RCA cables. So, combining them should work - although I suggest that you order an inexpensive RCA cable (e.g. from Monoprice.com) that is the proper length to get rid of losses in all of your connections. The surge protector won't hurt anything, but I honestly don't know if the pass band on those connections includes the frequencies that are carried over the subwoofer signal. Doesn't hurt to try it out, though. :)

droseofc

droseofc

Audioholic Intern
Ya I will probably end up getting a cable that is the length I need, just for now im at the point of just having it done. Its the 2nd sub and maybe the 5th position after trying diff combos but thats done so now working with this cable puzzle. Initially I ordered a 1.5 meter sub cable for it from knukonceptz just for the looks but I didnt know what came with trying to set up 2 subs so of course it's as far as it could be. Ill try running it through surge protector coax to reduce a cable. Basically itll go sub- sub rca - rg6- rg6- surge protector- rg6- receiver. Lawdy that even looks bad to read. And they are black rg6s. Maybe 1 white, might as well.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Tartan 25' sub cable is less than 15.00 on amazon prime- works grreat and is nice and flexible

droseofc

droseofc

Audioholic Intern
Tartan 25' sub cable is less than 15.00 on amazon prime- works grreat and is nice and flexible
Thanks ill check that out.
I was also considering some called Cable Showcase subwoofer cable. It's like 14$ and comes with a y adapter plus look good. Week ago I was at store looking at light bulbs and wow with the options lol. Now cables, and similar to lights im like a kid in a candy store. Ive been lookin at cables last 3 days almost all day. Found some that are over 40,000$ (ridiculous)..somethin with emperor in the name. Im fairly new to this as I was picking out lights and as much as it doesnt matter im the type to say "dude, look behind the speaker you see that connection? Siiick." So these tv coax got go lol

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
I should point out that the 75 Ohm business is the coax cable's 'Radio Frequency Characteristic Impedance' and it has nothing to do with analog audio. So you can mix and match cables without concerns about their Ohms. Now for longer digital audio cables this impedance does start to become a factor. By the way at sub-woofer frequencies a cable's 'Characteristic Impedance' might be 4000 Ohms.

droseofc

droseofc

Audioholic Intern
I should point out that the 75 Ohm business is the coax cable's 'Radio Frequency Characteristic Impedance' and it has nothing to do with analog audio. So you can mix and match cables without concerns about their Ohms. Now for longer digital audio cables this impedance does start to become a factor. By the way at sub-woofer frequencies a cable's 'Characteristic Impedance' might be 4000 Ohms.
It worked, I didnt use surge protector because the sub is on a 2 prong outlet (2 prong plug) and receiver is on a 3 prong, not sure if its related but I read that a cause of humming could be if one is grounded and the other is not that they could "fight" over the ground.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
It worked, I didnt use surge protector because the sub is on a 2 prong outlet (2 prong plug) and receiver is on a 3 prong, not sure if its related but I read that a cause of humming could be if one is grounded and the other is not that they could "fight" over the ground.
I believe (and my experience supports this) that this issue only occurs if you connect one or more items together that are themselves connected to different ground potentials. For example, if you plug the sub into outlet "A" and the receiver into outlet "B," and the outlets have slightly different ground potentials, and then you connect the receiver and sub together with an RCA cable (or a combo of various cables :D). A surge protector will help you will this, as will any power strip that maintains a common ground between all of its outlets, because everything plugged into it will share a common ground. In your case, though, it's probably not easy to plug both the receiver and sub into the same power strip because they're so far apart (unless you're willing to get an extension cable). All of that said, if you don't hear a hum - you don't need to think twice about any of this. :)

I'm no sparky, but my understanding is that the neutral and ground wires in an electrical outlet all go to ground, and that the third round ground plug is to ground the metal cases of appliances so that, if a hot wire comes loose and touches the case, it will trip the breaker as opposed to waiting for you to touch it and get shocked (potentially fatally). So, the ground plug is a safety feature.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis