Possibly underpowered?

droseofc

droseofc

Audioholic Intern
I have 2 klipsch RF-62 II that says max input 125 watts 8ohm and has dual binding posts and a RC-52 II for center max 125 watts running through a onkyo TX-NR609. This is email I received from Klipsch.. "Danny,

Did you then update your home theater receiver power? If not, you may be under-powered (which is why we suggested the models from your previous request of our recommended suggestion). You may want to calibrate these for “small” and will need to be cautious of loud volume levels as you would not have any amplifier headroom"

I am running 7.2 right now but satellites are just onkyos theater in a box version. The receiver has option to bi-amp fronts and only running 5.1. Would I be better off to take rears out and bi-amping klipsch or should I even be concerned. The receiver says this but I have no clue about it...Front L&R 100 watts minimum continuous power per channel, 8 ohm loads, 2 channels driven from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, with a maximum total harmonic distortion of 0.08% (FTC)
125 watts minimum continuous power per channel, 6 ohm loads, 2 channels driven at 1 kHz, with a maximum total harmonic distortion of 0.1% (FTC)
(Others)
1 ch × 160 W at 6 ohms, 1 kHz, 1 ch driven
of 1 % (IEC).

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
At what levels do you normally listen? I mean, after running Audyssey, what does the volume say? Please tell me you're using the volume scale that uses negative numbers and not the one using whole numbers.

As a general rule, if the amplifier section of your receiver isn't clipping and the receiver isn't going into protection mode, then what he's saying is all hogwash. Especially with an efficient pair of speakers like the Klipsch.

Don't bother with passive bi-amping. Load of rubbish more often than not.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You would have to be playng at heckuva loud levels on a consistent basis to even come close to clipping that amp. Most times your speakers are only drawing a handfull (or less) of watts.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
For reference, for your front 3 speakers to hit the THX reference peak of 105db's (assuming you sit approx. 12ft away and not accounting for other speakers subwoofers or any room gain) it would take a peak of 90 watts per channel (aka speaker) to hit that. This is also after lowering the published sensitivity of the RF62's down to 92 from their rating. Bottom line, like Mark said, you'd have to be playing those things pretty loud in order to be running out of power or to be underpowered.

droseofc

droseofc

Audioholic Intern
I rarely ever go to 0 with the negative (relative?) Scale. For whatever reason I tend to switch relative and actual so not sure the exact level, the times it is up to 0 are maybe once a month when kid's are at my moms so we'll watch a movie but even then it dont stay that loud for long. I was gonna ask you in sub thread but figured patrol would come direct me here, I was wonderin if youd end up replyin to this too...its almost like im from penguin too

droseofc

droseofc

Audioholic Intern
2 days ago I updated firmware on onkyo, it was via usb only, I also have been redirecting wires, quite a few changes, but yesterday while playing nba on ps4 the receiver didn't turn off but sound cut out randomly, not like it does when switching audio format but like there was no audio signal. Everything runs through receiver hdmi then 1 hdmi to tv. I also thought at times the pic quality was degraded. Could be nba I havent played for awhile, could be hdmi since I recently switched out a shorter monster to a longer rocketfish, or heat as I recently put ps4 and receiver on same shelf? Although directly after nba I put the movie gravity in and acted fine, played through ps4 as well but only for 15 min and the cutoffs were pretty random. After he sent email then that happened I was a little worried, thought maybe klipsch had a few wizards employed but I'm pretty sure they don't make receivers so would be pointless just had me panic mode

droseofc

droseofc

Audioholic Intern
Random but I noticed I have ads after each reply like right now its rbh headphones but I scroll up and neither of you have one then my OP has one too, same ad. Is that because im new

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I'm thinkin' the Onkier is stareting to fail but I could be wrong. ...nah!

droseofc

droseofc

Audioholic Intern
Now u have a ad so nevermind lol, thatd be really something I just got another sub a center and R and L and tv, the lady already thinks it was all a ridiculous buy and to top it off a receiver. If so ill just have to spill juice on it and act clueless

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I agree with mark, sounds like the onkyo is on its way out. I would start thinking about a replacement. Just in case. The ads are for first (?) And last posts in a thread. Most of us just install add block plus.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Another thought, you could try a hard reset. I'd have to refresh my memory on how to do it but you could just Google it for directions on how to do it. Could help.

droseofc

droseofc

Audioholic Intern
Ah im on mobile, and yes a quick google confirms the juice spill. Kidding, I called onkyo cust serv (terrible) so called onkyo warranty assistance im out of warranty purchased 2011 but he said theyd do a one time out of warranty repair. Just when I was gonna break off they pull me back in with motherly hands

droseofc

droseofc

Audioholic Intern
Another thought, you could try a hard reset. I'd have to refresh my memory on how to do it but you could just Google it for directions on how to do it. Could help.
Ive done, hold vcr/dvr and press power button. Being that its common according to search results and symptoms are similar plus the odd swiftness of a repair and no suggestions or questions about the problem I believe they are aware of it. Although every result i read was out of service even to where some think they are purposely made to fail at 2 year mark.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Ah im on mobile, and yes a quick google confirms the juice spill. Kidding, I called onkyo cust serv (terrible) so called onkyo warranty assistance im out of warranty purchased 2011 but he said theyd do a one time out of warranty repair. Just when I was gonna break off they pull me back in with motherly hands
I had pretty good experiences with onkyo CS but I never called and used their online chat. if you know what you're looking for that helps too. like I had a technical question so the first thing I did was ask to either speak to an engineer or have the question forwarded to that department. Warranty stuff does seem to be a wrapping of theirs according to most reports.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Ive done, hold vcr/dvr and press power button. Being that its common according to search results and symptoms are similar plus the odd swiftness of a repair and no suggestions or questions about the problem I believe they are aware of it. Although every result i read was out of service even to where some think they are purposely made to fail at 2 year mark.
More than likely on the lower end models for all companies some almost all lower end models (read: all except for the flagship models) are outsourced for production. The 3009 i had was awesome and worked flawlessly for as long as I had it.

droseofc

droseofc

Audioholic Intern
More than likely on the lower end models for all companies some almost all lower end models (read: all except for the flagship models) are outsourced for production. The 3009 i had was awesome and worked flawlessly for as long as I had it.
Yes ive never had anything but onkyo, not that they are the best but just decently priced for what they were at least I thought, granted im only 26 and recently upgraded to whatever level is after beginner. Beginner II? With the obvious common problem if they were going to act like they never heard of it I would of went to another company before I paid for a repair. Only bad part is they use same local shop here that samsung uses, I once had to go get repaired tv myself after they picked up and repaired and wow, like a garage. Others say theyve been waiting upwards of 8 weeks because no parts available...is it a common thing to receive a loaner while you wait?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Yes ive never had anything but onkyo, not that they are the best but just decently priced for what they were at least I thought, granted im only 26 and recently upgraded to whatever level is after beginner. Beginner II? With the obvious common problem if they were going to act like they never heard of it I would of went to another company before I paid for a repair. Only bad part is they use same local shop here that samsung uses, I once had to go get repaired tv myself after they picked up and repaired and wow, like a garage. Others say theyve been waiting upwards of 8 weeks because no parts available...is it a common thing to receive a loaner while you wait?
Nope. You're usually out of luck while it's in the shop. 8+weeks is certainly a possibility with Onkyo. While it can happen with any brand, it just seems like there are more reports of it taking a long time with Onkyo.

I went from a Marantz 5006, to an Onkyo 3009, and now I'm on a Marantz 8801. I've had experience with some Pios and Yamahas, but I like the 8801 and the only way I'd change (which won't be happening for awhile) is to upgrade to the newest Marantz processor (whatever they're up to at that point) or the replacement for that monster Denon.

I'm 25 ;)

droseofc

droseofc

Audioholic Intern
Nope. You're usually out of luck while it's in the shop. 8+weeks is certainly a possibility with Onkyo. While it can happen with any brand, it just seems like there are more reports of it taking a long time with Onkyo.

I went from a Marantz 5006, to an Onkyo 3009, and now I'm on a Marantz 8801. I've had experience with some Pios and Yamahas, but I like the 8801 and the only way I'd change (which won't be happening for awhile) is to upgrade to the newest Marantz processor (whatever they're up to at that point) or the replacement for that monster Denon.

I'm 25 ;)
Lol damn just when I thought doin good lol jk. But havin 2 kids and bn only guy in house I usually end up spending cash elsewhere like a 300$ little tikes climber thing tryin to get them out of the house. Its snowed and freezing temp since the beautiful day I put the ridiculous thing together. So I tried a leap frog tablet, age says 4+, daughter is 2 so about same results. If your next reply is that you have 3 daughters where do you work and are they hiring. Id rather get a optical cord then be without newly purchased setup for 8 weeks.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Lol damn just when I thought doin good lol jk. But havin 2 kids and bn only guy in house I usually end up spending cash elsewhere like a 300$ little tikes climber thing tryin to get them out of the house. Its snowed and freezing temp since the beautiful day I put the ridiculous thing together. So I tried a leap frog tablet, age says 4+, daughter is 2 so about same results. If your next reply is that you have 3 daughters where do you work and are they hiring. Id rather get a optical cord then be without newly purchased setup for 8 weeks.
Nah lol, no kids and I rent an apartment from my parents so the rent and utilities are low. As long as I don't let the GF know how much I spend on this stuff (especially compared to what I spend on her :eek:) I'm pretty much free to go wild.

droseofc

droseofc

Audioholic Intern
Nah lol, no kids and I rent an apartment from my parents so the rent and utilities are low. As long as I don't let the GF know how much I spend on this stuff (especially compared to what I spend on her :eek:) I'm pretty much free to go wild.
Lol! Same here. I should of got a ring but instead I got a tv.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis