Possible to re-veneer?

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Hey all,

I recently bought a Rythmik Audio sub kit. I'll be putting a veneer on it to try and match my furniture. So I was wondering, is it possible to veneer something that already has a veneer on it? I bought my Boston VR 2's on sale. They were the last pair that Magnolia had, but unfortunately they are in the Beech finish. Can I just cover up the veneer already on them with a different veneer?

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Hey all,

I recently bought a Rythmik Audio sub kit. I'll be putting a veneer on it to try and match my furniture. So I was wondering, is it possible to veneer something that already has a veneer on it? I bought my Boston VR 2's on sale. They were the last pair that Magnolia had, but unfortunately they are in the Beech finish. Can I just cover up the veneer already on them with a different veneer?
Darien it's possible but, I wouldn't recommend it. You really have to know what you're doing. It's a long process, PM if you're really serious about doing it, I'll give you the steps and cautions.

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
Stratman, what's the issue with veneering over a pre-veneered surface? If it is sound and well glued, are there still problems with laying the veneer or making it adhere? I have only veneered over hardwood or MDF, so I don't have a lot of experience with other substrates (like plywood).

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Stratman, what's the issue with veneering over a pre-veneered surface? If it is sound and well glued, are there still problems with laying the veneer or making it adhere? I have only veneered over hardwood or MDF, so I don't have a lot of experience with other substrates (like plywood).
Hey Audiofox,

Issues for re-veneering are plenty, for instance glue compatability to substrate, type of veneer backing (phenolic, paper, foil), type of finish to be applied to veneer (lacquer, shellac, varnish, etc.) When buying your veneer you must be aware of it's backing otherwise depending on finish to be applied you'll get bubbles if you run into compatability issues, you also run the risk of loosening the existing veneer if you use too much lacquer thinner or too much contact adhesive, that would be your worst case scenario for at that juncture you will have to strip down your speaker to the MDF and start from scratch.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Darien it's possible but, I wouldn't recommend it. You really have to know what you're doing. It's a long process, PM if you're really serious about doing it, I'll give you the steps and cautions.
Thanks Strat. PM sent.

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
Hey Audiofox,

Issues for re-veneering are plenty, for instance glue compatability to substrate, type of veneer backing (phenolic, paper, foil), type of finish to be applied to veneer (lacquer, shellac, varnish, etc.) When buying your veneer you must be aware of it's backing otherwise depending on finish to be applied you'll get bubbles if you run into compatability issues, you also run the risk of loosening the existing veneer if you use too much lacquer thinner or too much contact adhesive, that would be your worst case scenario for at that juncture you will have to strip down your speaker to the MDF and start from scratch.
Thanks for the insights. Some day when I actually have some free time (probably when I retire!), I would like to do some more veneering-I still have a load of raw quilted maple and ebony veneers from my Dynaudio Aries project of several years ago. BTW, I used water based lacquer (Hydrocote) with success on it. Applying the raw veneer was a pain, but it looks great now that it is done. I still have a few minor problems with some of the edges, but they are easily reglued since they are on the edge.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the insights. Some day when I actually have some free time (probably when I retire!), I would like to do some more veneering-I still have a load of raw quilted maple and ebony veneers from my Dynaudio Aries project of several years ago. BTW, I used water based lacquer (Hydrocote) with success on it. Applying the raw veneer was a pain, but it looks great now that it is done. I still have a few minor problems with some of the edges, but they are easily reglued since they are on the edge.
Roughly a year ago I designed and a media unit for a client, it was veneered in Macassar Ebony with approximately 10 coats of lacquer on the exterior, interior was done in Mahogany with lacquer finish also. Interior lightning was xenon which has a brighter "whiter" light than halogen. Needless to say it's their livingroom centerpiece, but how couldn't it be seeing that it was done in Macassar Ebony;)

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Darien,

These sites are very good: jacaranda.com, whittelseywood.com I've used them before for custom stuff and furniture.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis