Possible to plug a subwoofer into a Yamaha R-S201 ?

M

mynameisjames

Audiophyte
Hi all, new to these forums and looking for a bit of help:

Would it be somehow possible to plug a subwoofer into a Yamaha R-S201? That is the base 2-channel stereo receiver.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

It is possible, but your best bet is to use a sub that has speaker-level inputs and outputs that will filter out the bass frequencies from the outputs. That Yamaha doesn't do any sort of bass management, so the sub and speakers will blend together better if the sub will do it.

Do you already have a sub, or are you looking to buy one?

M

mynameisjames

Audiophyte
I am looking to buy one because I am not sure which will work yet..

M

mynameisjames

Audiophyte
Welcome to the forum!

It is possible, but your best bet is to use a sub that has speaker-level inputs and outputs that will filter out the bass frequencies from the outputs. That Yamaha doesn't do any sort of bass management, so the sub and speakers will blend together better if the sub will do it.

Do you already have a sub, or are you looking to buy one?
Any suggestions?

M

mynameisjames

Audiophyte
Some questions, first :):
* What are your main speakers?
* Why are you looking to add a sub?
* How large is your room?
* What's your budget?
- Fluance SX6 Bookshelfs

- I want to add a sub because the speakers in question lack sufficient bass for my taste

- Average sized living room

- Budget wise i'm hoping for under $200 USD

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Living rooms come in all sizes, so "average" could mean anything. There are a number of subs in the $200 range with speaker-level inputs and outputs. Perhaps check out the Bic America F12 (about $200 on Amazon). I looked for a bit and didn't find the manual, so I'm not sure if the speaker-level outputs are filtered using the subs crossover or not.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Well, there aren't many grown-up subs to be had within that budget. This discontinued sub probably ought to be your most likely candidate. I don't think its speaker level outs have any sort of crossover, so dialing in the correct volume and subwoofer low pass filter frequency to make it blend seamlessly might take a little trial and error. But I think it can be done.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

M

mynameisjames

Audiophyte
I believe I will be able to find a sub with speaker-level inputs and outputs.. used or otherwise.. within my range.

EDIT: Oh I understand, plug my speakers into the sub inputs then connect the sub to the receiver from the output.. that makes sense ..

(As far as the living room size, it is probably 10x20ft)

M

mynameisjames

Audiophyte
I guess the question then becomes would this be an unwise thing to do?

What do you guys think would happen in terms of sound quality?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Oh I understand, plug my speakers into the sub inputs then connect the sub to the receiver from the output.. that makes sense ..
Other way around. Receiver into sub high level inputs, then sub outputs to your other speakers. Don't forget to buy some more speaker wire if you don't have any. AmazonBasics 16 gauge is a good deal.

I guess the question then becomes would this be an unwise thing to do?

What do you guys think would happen in terms of sound quality?
I think you'll be pleased with the result. If you're apprehensive about that Acoustic Audio sub I linked, then this Dayton Audio 15" would also be worth considering, although more physically imposing and a little less powerful.

I still recommend the Acoustic Audio sub. If you intend to find a used sub on Craigslist or similar, don't let a popular brick and mortar brand name fool you into thinking you're getting a higher quality sub. I hope you'll post your finds back here for an opinion before committing to buy. You might find an amazing bargain like a Paradigm or Velodyne for $200. But if it's Polk or Klipsch or pretty much any 8" sub, you could do a lot better.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
Velodyne make a grate sub. Paradigm also make a grate quality sub

Sent from my iPhone 5

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis