Possible Ground Loop problem

M

merwine

Audioholic Intern
I think I may have a ground loop problem and I cant figure out a way to solve it. First let me start of by listing all of my components and what I am dealing with. Everything I have with the exception of my sub and amps is plugged into an APC H15 power conditioner. I have two independent lines run to the room directly from the breaker box. One of them is for my sub and everything else is on the other. My components include Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5, ERC-1, USP-1, JL F112, Denon 3806, Direct TV DVR, PS3, and Panasonic PT-AX200U. It seems like whenever either the PS3 or projector is plugged in I get a buzzing out of the speakers. I have tried plugging them into the different filter banks on the APC but I cant get it to go away. Any ideas?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I think I may have a ground loop problem and I cant figure out a way to solve it. First let me start of by listing all of my components and what I am dealing with. Everything I have with the exception of my sub and amps is plugged into an APC H15 power conditioner. I have two independent lines run to the room directly from the breaker box. One of them is for my sub and everything else is on the other. My components include Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5, ERC-1, USP-1, JL F112, Denon 3806, Direct TV DVR, PS3, and Panasonic PT-AX200U. It seems like whenever either the PS3 or projector is plugged in I get a buzzing out of the speakers. I have tried plugging them into the different filter banks on the APC but I cant get it to go away. Any ideas?
That provides good detail. It would seem that the ground loop is coming from the PS3 and or the projector.

The grounding block of your Direct TV system may also be playing a part.

If either of the above offending items have three point AC plugs, lift the grounds with a two prong ground break and see if that interrupts the loop.

If the hum is still there, go outside and disconnect the ground wire to the Direct TV grounding block as a test.

M

merwine

Audioholic Intern
I forgot to mention that the DVR was not plugged into the system in any way. I am actually getting rid of it and didn't mean to list in in the list of components.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis