Polk sub to Sony receiver Question

W

wborisenok

Audiophyte
Hi everyone! I'm a newbie with a [stupid] question. I just got a budget stereo system from Best Buy. I know, I know...Best Buy..yikes. BUT - alas, it was a steal. More than half off for all of the components. Plus, it's only for my home gym. It's composed of the following:

Polk Audio T15 Shelf Speakers
Polk Audio PSW10 Subwoofer
Sony STR-DH130 Multi-channel Receiver

Here's my problem:

http://content.hwigroup.net/images/products/xl/152023/3/sony_strdh130.jpg

There's no input for the subwoofer on the back of the receiver. I've done my research and seen that others have been able to hook their subwoofers up to this unit, but nobody seems to detail exactly how they did it. One guy on Amazon actually posted a picture of the exact receiver I bought with the exact subwoofer I bought hooked up to it. Does anyone have any advice? Thank you in advance!

Whitney

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum, Whitney!

The way to hook that sub up to that receiver is to, instead of connecting the receiver directly to your T15 speakers, connect the sub in between. That's because your subwoofer has speaker-level inputs and outputs, which is a great thing for you because (as you said) your receiver doesn't have a line-level (RCA jack) output for a sub. This is covered under the "Option #2" connection diagram in your subwoofer's owners manual (link to PDF here).

So, you want to:
1. Connect the left/right speaker outputs on the receiver to the left/right speaker inputs on the sub using speaker wire
2. Connect the left/right speaker outputs on the sub to your left and right T15 speakers
3. Adjust the "Low Pass" dial on the sub to get a good blending between the sub and the speakers. Based on the specs of the speakers, I'd start off with 80Hz and go from there.

I hope that helps, but please just let us know if that isn't clear.

W

wborisenok

Audiophyte
Wow! That was fast and SUPER thorough. I actually hadn't stopped Googling options and was panicked I may have purchased the wrong gear. Thanks to you, I'll rest easy tonight! Thank you for the solid information. I'll post a pic in a few days when I've got it up and running! Oh, one more quick question. I gather all I'll need is speaker wire to connect everything. Would that be a correct assumption?

PS - cute dog!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
PS - cute dog!
Thanks!

Yep, you're correct - you only need speaker wire to connect up your receiver, sub, and speakers. Btw, I forgot to say this before, but congrats on the new gear! It's always exciting to get something new, isn't it? :)

W

wborisenok

Audiophyte
Thanks! And yes - apparently I enjoy the feeling a bit too much. Haha. I just bought a house in July and before I even had a couch or a bed I had my 55" Samsung LED on the wall directly above my Bose Cinemate soundbar. Oops? :D Thanks again for the info, I'll be back with a pic in a couple days!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I just bought a house in July and before I even had a couch or a bed I had my 55" Samsung LED on the wall directly above my Bose Cinemate soundbar.
You should stick around - you belong here. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis