Polk speakers any good?

D

dannox02

Enthusiast
I've been shopping around and was pretty close to buying some paradigm monitor 7s or 9s. Then I noticed a really good deal on Polk RTi 10s at future shop. Are these worth looking at or are they a lower end speaker sold at retail stores?

Q

Quig

Audioholic Intern
I'm currently running a set of Monitor 11's and purchased them in favor of Polks. Honestly, I had found a good deal on a set of Polks also but after listening to both speakers I GLADLY paid a little extra for my Paradigms and have never been anything other than extremely pleased with them.

I won't say the Polks are bad speakers, but I don't think they can compete with Paradigms.

Just my $.02 :D

T

tjs

Enthusiast
i was also looking at the polk (rti8) but i found the paridigm monitor 7's more to my liking plus i believe the 7's are smaller than the rti10's. :)

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
I love Martin Logan's. I think the Apogee was the greatest speaker manufacturer.... ever.

I bought Polk LSi's, because my Infinity RS 4's finally died.

Speakers are subjective. Am I "making do" with the Polk's? Not hardly, good speakers... in my opinion.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
sjdgpt said:
I think the Apogee was the greatest speaker manufacturer....
Last I saw Apogee was at the Comdex show in like '01 selling microchips or something. Haha

My dad has an Apogee subwoofer he absolutely loves. The thing could kill small animals. It's awesome.

-Chad

P

Polkfan

Audioholic
My RT7 speakers are very good. They do really well with Classical and Jazz which is what I mainly listen to. I've had them for about eight years and they've matured well. I've not heard anything to make me want to rush out and replace them. They make a very good match with the PSW 650 sub. Many people say the RT7 was one of the best bookshelf speakers Polk Audio made. Speakers are a very subjective but very important part of the whole system. I had to chime in here :rolleyes: . I've never considered Polks to be low end.

Q

Quig

Audioholic Intern
Polkfan said:
My RT7 speakers are very good. They do really well with Classical and Jazz which is what I mainly listen to. I've had them for about eight years and they've matured well. I've not heard anything to make me want to rush out and replace them. They make a very good match with the PSW 650 sub. Many people say the RT7 was one of the best bookshelf speakers Polk Audio made. Speakers are a very subjective but very important part of the whole system. I had to chime in here :rolleyes: . I've never considered Polks to be low end.
I believe the 'Older' Polks such at the RT7's that you have are of a higher quality than the new stuff but I don't have much fact to support it... just an opinion.

I didn't mean to sound like I was bashing Polk products, they have made some nice products and I've been a customer many times... :D

J

JJNab

Audioholic Intern
FWIW, I got a pair of Polk LSi9's a few months back. They absolutely blew me away with the clarity of their sound. They made me think that I finally understood what people mean by "transparency." I had to return them, though, because they could not handle high volume levels from my HK 3480 receiver. The woofers began to rattle about -8. So, it was back to my old B&W's. Too bad. I really did love those Polks, but I can't always keep my music at "moderate" volume levels.

JJ

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis