Polk Signature Series Speakers Preview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
We got a glimpse of Polk's Signature Speakers series at the CEDIA last fall, but our second viewing at CES in Las Vegas, Nevada really wowed us. The whole line of Signature Speakers from Polk Audio looks like it will make a fantastic setup for any audiophiles listening needs from two-channel to a full DTS:X immersive surround sound home theater room. With 8 styles to choose from, this reasonably priced but high quality speaker line might be for you.

Read: Polk Signature Series Speakers Preview

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would love to see the horizontal dispersion pattern of that S35 slim center channel. It would be utterly kaleidoscopic.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I would love to see the horizontal dispersion pattern of that S35 slim center channel. It would be utterly kaleidoscopic.
It might not be completely horrible. When you've got the same drivers right next to each other they behave as a single driver. It'd be like an MTM with two 3x9's as the mids. Their interaction with the tweeter on the same horizontal plane with such a wide baffle is bound to be interesting in not a good way though; so I don't completely disagree with you. Still, it might be pretty decent within a 20 - 30 degree window in an acoustically tame room.

hk2000

hk2000

Junior Audioholic
I don't know about Polk , I had a bad experience with one of their speakers where the glue attaching the driver to the surround just disintegrated and it started making the most awful distorted sound I'd ever heard. I would not buy their speakers again regardless how nice they look- and these do look nice

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just what Polk speakers were lacking, another series of speaker price points. :)

O

olds97_lss

Audiophyte
I have a full set of polks from the 90's I think... got them off craigslist a few years ago. rt##i series. It included a not so stellar center speaker. Then I found a CS400i that had the same drivers as the front speakers (rt35i's) and couldn't be happier. It's a pretty big center, but I doubt I'd ever go to a sub-6" driver center again, regardless of the name on it. I have an CSiA4 in storage that I don't even use. Was just too thin sounding.

Being in an apartment, having a boomy sub running all the time is somewhat inconsiderate, and having small drivers in the center just doesn't give the depth/richness I really look for when watching movies. It's a shame a lot of what you find these days are small centers, so much of your movie audio comes out of that speaker that you really need a decent range speaker in that spot.

A

Andytoo

Audiophyte
These are very similar looking to speakers made by Q Acoustics, part of Armour Home Electronics,
a British outfit established in 2006.

O

olds97_lss

Audiophyte
Boomy sub not so good, what do you have?
Not "boomy" per say, but loud. Louder than I'd want to listen too if it was a neighbor above me with it. It's a polk PSW450 12" front firing. I have my sub trim on my receiver turned down so low that it never kicks on. If I want to hear it, I just push the trim up to 0 or +1 for a movie just to add a bit of depth/punch, then turn it back to -6 when done. On my old receiver... 2 receivers ago, I was able to just toggle it on/off using a single button on the remote. My current receiver has the speaker setup 3 or 4 menus deep, so I just use the app on my phone to turn the trim down.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis