L

LoadP2004

Enthusiast
So I've had my eye on the Polk Audio Tsi500, but just saw Best Buy is offering the Klipsch KF-28s 50% off for Black Friday. Any recommendations? I'm also eyeing the Yamaha NS-C310 for a center channel speaker...would that pair well with a set of Klipsch or Polks? From the research I've read it appears the Polks have a larger frequency response but the Klips are more efficient (91 dB vs. 98 dB if I remember correctly). Thanks for the tips!

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-818V 5.1

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
So I;ve had my eye on the Polk Audio Tsi500, but just saw Best Buy is offering the Klipsch KF-28s 50% for Black Friday. Any recommendations? I'm also eyeing the Yamaha NS-C310 for a center channel speaker...would that pair well with a set of Klipsch or Polks?
Don't bother with those.

If you insist on Best Buy stuff, look into the Pioneer SP-FS52 but otherwise there's a lot out there which we can help you look into.

From the research I've read it appears the Polks have a larger frequency response
The most important frequency response range is 100hz to 12khz. Above and below that are nice to have, but that range should be extremely flat. It doesn't matter of a speaker has response from 20hz to 50khz if 100hz to 12khz are not flat. My definition of flat is a minimum +/- 2db window and ideally +/- 1db

but the Klips are more efficient (91 dB vs. 98 dB if I remember correctly).
They may be more efficient, but that doesn't mean they sound better at the levels you'll listen to 99% of the time. Efficiency has its place but don't get too caught up in it. It's usually misleading anyways.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Those are two extremely different speakers, you'd should really try to listen to these to help you make up your mind.

As for the center channel, it should match your main speakers [called timber matching]. Imagine a person on screen walking from left to right while talking. As this happens the voice travels from your left speaker, to the center to the right. The voice will sound different as it moves across the speakers, trust me it produces a really weird effect.

L

LoadP2004

Enthusiast
What about the Yamaha for a center channel? I've got about $1500 - $2000 to spend on new front speakers, a center, and a receiver...but not all at once. Seeing as how my speakers are 10 year old Sonys that came out of an all-in-one box I want to replace the speakers first, then my pioneer VSX-818. Recommendations?

L

LoadP2004

Enthusiast
Those are two extremely different speakers, you'd should really try to listen to these to help you make up your mind.

As for the center channel, it should match your main speakers [called timber matching]. Imagine a person on screen walking from left to right while talking. As this happens the voice travels from your left speaker, to the center to the right. The voice will sound different as it moves across the speakers, trust me it produces a really weird effect.
Sorry didn't see this. I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to speaker integration...I didn't think the sound would be that much different. thanks!

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Your center channel should be very similar to your front speakers. For the Pioneers that would be the SP-C22 or a third SP-FS52

L

LoadP2004

Enthusiast
Got it. I don't need to go with Best Buy, their speaker price just caught my eye...I just need to get rid of these 10 year old sonys!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
So I've had my eye on the Polk Audio Tsi500, but just saw Best Buy is offering the Klipsch KF-28s 50% off for Black Friday. Any recommendations? I'm also eyeing the Yamaha NS-C310 for a center channel speaker...would that pair well with a set of Klipsch or Polks? From the research I've read it appears the Polks have a larger frequency response but the Klips are more efficient (91 dB vs. 98 dB if I remember correctly). Thanks for the tips!
None of the above, and the Klipsch would be lucky to hit 93db.
I would look at Pioneer, or shop somewhere else.

L

LoadP2004

Enthusiast
A little research has pointed me in this direction now. Thoughts?

Pioneer SP-FS51 and SP-C22
Axiom M60 and VP 150
Aperion 5T and 5C

Only looking for Floor and Center replacements. 95% HT use and 5% music use. Thanks!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would still go for the Klipsch over any of those. What hasn't been mentioned here is none of those will have the dynamic range of the Klipsch speakers, not even close. They may have smoother highs, but the Klipsch will stay nice and clear at output levels that the others will shrivel up and die at. 50% off is a great discount on the Klipsch speakers. If you want to hit THX reference sound with clarity, that is what you will want. On the other hand, if you want to listen to smooth jazz and low volume levels, I would probably swing for the Pioneers.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Pioneer SP-FS51 and SP-C22
Axiom M60 and VP 150
Aperion 5T and 5C

Only looking for Floor and Center replacements. 95% HT use and 5% music use. Thanks!
If you go with the Pioneer, I would go with the FS52 over the FS51
The FS52 is a good one, and yes it will play loud - however, not at
extreme volume levels, however still loud > It can play all types of
music, not just some special types. I can push it in a 20 x30 open
room, with high volume levels. The CS22 is the match for the FS52
They also do a good job for Movies and TV.

Good Luck with your choice - I lean towards the Pioneer.

Last edited:
S

Shrader

Audioholic
Listen to them all yourself, I have listened to the pioneer, and the Klipsch, and it was a no brainer for me, but everyone is different, I ended up with the reference series, but had the kf26's first, only because I found a good deal on craigslist. I don't understand all the Klipsch bashing on this forum, seems everything is better than them around here. Like I said to each his own I guess.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Listen to them all yourself, I have listened to the pioneer, and the Klipsch, and it was a no brainer for me, but everyone is different, I ended up with the reference series, but had the kf26's first, only because I found a good deal on craigslist. I don't understand all the Klipsch bashing on this forum, seems everything is better than them around here. Like I said to each his own I guess.
Klipsch appeal to particular people, just like someone's taste in cars. Just because I wouldn't own a Camry doesn't mean it is a bad car, it just isn't right for me. It isn't "bashing", just preference, and there are a few long time users here who own Klipsch.

S

Shrader

Audioholic
No problems here J. as I said, just go listen to them yourself. Just seems anytime anyone brings up Klipsch [of any line] they instantly suggest other brands without really comparing them. Klipsch are very "bright as others often state, by I like them that way, others don't.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
No problems here J. as I said, just go listen to them yourself. Just seems anytime anyone brings up Klipsch [of any line] they instantly suggest other brands without really comparing them. Klipsch are very "bright as others often state, by I like them that way, others don't.
I have owned 3 different series of Klipsh speakers - however, they
really left me wanting more. I don not bash them - however, I can
not live with them long term. So my preference is not speculation.:)

L

LoadP2004

Enthusiast
OP, how big is the room?
Our room is about 18 feet from TV/speakers to our couch and about 20 feet wide, but it opens into a small dining area and the kitchen. We also have about a 12-16 foot high ceiling.

It appears most people on here are going with Pioneer or Klipsch...again I'm mainly using this for HT use...a lot of movies and TV, some video games, and very little music.

L

LoadP2004

Enthusiast
I'm using way small Sony speakers right now, so ANYTHING is an upgrade. I like the Aperion 30 day trial but it's $1300 for just the fronts and center (5T/5C series). The Klipsch will run me about $750 for the fronts and center (KF-28 and KC-25), with the pioneers running me $350 for the fronts and center (FS-52 and C-22 Andrew Jones). The Klipsch looks enticing because the KF-28s will be on sale next week for 50% off from Best Buy...but I don't need to shop there...I can go anywhere; plus, if I get the Pioneers I can get the bookshelfs for the surround and upgrade my sub for under the price of Aperion. I don't want to spend too much but I will to get great sound...but mostly from TV/movies, a few games, and very little music.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I'm using way small Sony speakers right now, so ANYTHING is an upgrade. I like the Aperion 30 day trial but it's $1300 for just the fronts and center (5T/5C series). The Klipsch will run me about $750 for the fronts and center (KF-28 and KC-25), with the pioneers running me $350 for the fronts and center (FS-52 and C-22 Andrew Jones). The Klipsch looks enticing because the KF-28s will be on sale next week for 50% off from Best Buy...but I don't need to shop there...I can go anywhere; plus, if I get the Pioneers I can get the bookshelfs for the surround and upgrade my sub for under the price of Aperion. I don't want to spend too much but I will to get great sound...but mostly from TV/movies, a few games, and very little music.
My preference over Klipsch, is HTD Level Three - either the towers
and the center, or the Level Three bookshelves and center.
They are nice.
HTD Level THREE Speakers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MOYrdpkHQGo

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis