Polk Home Theater/Receiver Matchup

O

Olskoolfilm

Audiophyte
I currently have a small HT setup with 4 Polk T15 speakers (fronts & Surround), 1 Polk T30 center channel, no sub yet (WAF). I am using a Yamaha RXV371 receiver in a small living room. Opinions are most welcome.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What distance are you from the speakers and what spl are you listeni g at?

O

Olskoolfilm

Audiophyte
About 10 feet in distance. Not sure what spl. (need to get a meter)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
From what I can see, your receiver should power those speakers fine. The issue may be whether or not you can hit spl's you want with those speakers. A decent subwoofer (or 2) would improve things greatly. Good subwoofage is often underrated. I was shocked at how much it improved my entire system just by adding a pair of good subs.

Imo, your speakers are the weak link.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
About 10 feet in distance. Not sure what spl. (need to get a meter)
Try using an spl calculator (and even a phone spl meter app would probably be good enough to approximate your spl at your usual listening levels).

If at your current listening levels it sounds good you're likely just fine with that avr....but if you want to see how the amp power/speaker specs interface....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So you already own this equipment and want our opinions on it? Or are you looking for a change? If you can, I'd return those speakers and open up the budget a little more. You can find good speakers with decent WAF, but the prettier they are, the more you're paying for looks.

A pair of Affordable Accuracy monitors can be a great start to a system that sounds very good on a budget. They're not small tho, and I don't know your wife's tolerances. I'll bet you'd be pretty shocked at how much better they sound compared to those Polks.

There are other less expensive choices too. @zieglj01 has demoed many speakers and has a lot of experience picking out the good ones.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The receiver is OK -- however them Polks are your weakest link -- even with a tight budget you can beat them

O

Olskoolfilm

Audiophyte
The Polk speakers are all I can afford other than soundbars (NOOOOOOOOO!!!!)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis