Polk Audio PSW10 Review

B

Big Dub Sounds

Audioholic Intern
Since I've had this sub for a little while now I figure it's time to give an honest review. Initially I was a little skeptical about this sub due to it's modest power and entry level price point. Thankfully I got it on a great deal that was hard to turn down, to my pleasant surprise it's one of the better entry level subs out there.

Looks
It's a sub and as most subs they're in a square box. It doesn't look like an elegant piece of furniture but it also won't take away from the look of a room. In short while it's not the best looking sub out there it won't get you in trouble with your significant other. Having said that it's not the smallest 10" out there, if space is an issue or you're looking to hide the sub it may not be the best option.

Performance
This is the area this sub shines, for an entry level sub its performance is quite good and surprisingly versatile. Although it has an impressive frequency range for a 50RMS 10", like most entry level subs it does become a bit muddy at the lowest frequencies. I've only occasionally noticed this on HT use, outside of the lowest frequencies it provides tight, accurate bass without being overpowering. For music it reproduces deep, accurate bass for a number of different genres. It provides depth and presence to music while allowing you to clearly hear what the bass player is playing. No LFE input is slightly annoying but is easy to bypass with a good receiver.

Summary
If you have a large room or 10K system this will not be the sub for you (unless you have 2-3 of them). The lack of power output will be noticeable in a larger room or working alongside large, powerful speakers. But if you're in a small to medium size room and looking for a great entry level sub at a low price point it's hard to imagine there is a better option out there than the Polk Audio PSW 10.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
What other subs have you used to compare with? No measurements? Dimensions? Construction/finish? Not even manufacturer specs? MSRP...street price? At least a link to the manufacturer's site. http://www.polkaudio.com/psw10/d/1007
I'll save OP the trouble. Measurements are available here. Turns out the PSW110 is not actually one of the best entry level subs, but a pretty typical middle-of-the-road means of completing an entry level 5.1 upgrade from a home theater in a box. Nice that OP got a discount and is enjoying his gear, though.

B

Big Dub Sounds

Audioholic Intern
OK relax guys, obviously I gave a high-level review based on my personal experience of using it (as well as comparing similar subs at the store at the same price point). Obviously I do not have the ability to compare it to ever sub at that price point such as a professional review site.

If you're comparing one person's personal review of an entry level product to an actual electronics review site you're insulting the intelligence of others.

Simply put if there are others out there considering the sub as an upgrade from HTIB that was simply my personal opinion based on my experience with it.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
OK relax guys, obviously I gave a high-level review based on my personal experience of using it (as well as comparing similar subs at the store at the same price point). Obviously I do not have the ability to compare it to ever sub at that price point such as a professional review site.

If you're comparing one person's personal review of an entry level product to an actual electronics review site you're insulting the intelligence of others.

Simply put if there are others out there considering the sub as an upgrade from HTIB that was simply my personal opinion based on my experience with it.
Quite the contrary. If we demand quantitative data, we're placing high expectations on the poster and the reader alike, not insulting anyone's intelligence. We do this to avoid disappointing others who have high expectations for exceptional performance within their budget. We aren't likely to recommend mediocrity when budget allows for something more exceptional, regardless of a reviewer's limited experiences and claims of superlative performance. We value science and data over opinion and platitude. If you're looking for validation, you're in the wrong place.

B

Big Dub Sounds

Audioholic Intern
Nobody is in here looking for validation...........it's an internet forum!! Secondly this is the beginner section of the Forums...........if someone is in the beginner section looking for a professional review I do question their intelligence............there are literally dozens of sites out there for that.

There is a large difference between a person's opinion and a review from an electronics site. So far I've got a ton of opinions/advice in these forums (some good/some bad) but I've never come in here for detailed, scientific reviews..........there are better places online for that.

Sorry it bothers you that much.

B

Big Dub Sounds

Audioholic Intern
Fair enough, could be my browser...........I've had this issue with Polk's site before.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nobody is in here looking for validation...........it's an internet forum!! Secondly this is the beginner section of the Forums...........if someone is in the beginner section looking for a professional review I do question their intelligence............there are literally dozens of sites out there for that.

There is a large difference between a person's opinion and a review from an electronics site. So far I've got a ton of opinions/advice in these forums (some good/some bad) but I've never come in here for detailed, scientific reviews..........there are better places online for that.

Sorry it bothers you that much.
So we should have an amateur review corner for you to express yourself in? A few posts and you're just going to start posting lame inexperienced reviews? Please don't.

Here's a good place to start: www.data-bass.com.

B

Big Dub Sounds

Audioholic Intern
Beginner/Amateur............pretty similar, most people can understand that.

Never claimed to be an expert or to be giving a professional review. Gave my opinion on a product I purchased. I'll continue doing it and you can continue wasting time trying to make yourself feel important.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've owned this sub. It does not shine in any category. It works as an entry level sub and does fill in the bottom end for small satellite speakers, which is what it was intended for IMO. Small to smaller-medium room or it won't do the job.

B

Big Dub Sounds

Audioholic Intern
I've owned this sub. It does not shine in any category. It works as an entry level sub and does fill in the bottom end for small satellite speakers, which is what it was intended for IMO. Small to smaller-medium room or it won't do the job.
Fair assessment, and I agree for the most part. Are there any other sub's you would recommend in this price range?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I was going to add to that actually. There are better options in the price range. The Dayton Sub-100 (10") is often priced at $100, and the 12" very close to that too when on sale. Break the piggy bank for that extra $40-50 and you can get a 15"... These subs at least offer 25Hz performance and significantly cleaner output than the Polk. Still not going to vibrate your couch (the 15" probably will :) ), but they're a better value.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1000-10-100-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-628

Nothing wrong with your review, just realize that people tend to expect data to go along with a sub review because it is a different category than most speakers. I think that's the reason for the flak.

B

Big Dub Sounds

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the information. Do you have any experience with the KEF Kube 1?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Nothing wrong with your review, just realize that people tend to expect data to go along with a sub review because it is a different category than most speakers. I think that's the reason for the flak.
I don't know why anyone would expect data in a sub review. Very few professional subwoofer reviews ever provide any data, yet we should expect a post by a newcomer in the 'beginners' section to provide data? What kind of data could you possibly expect here anyway? CEA-2010-A measurements? The response to this guy's review has been absurd. My only suggestion is that this post would have been more appropriate in the 'write your own reviews' section rather than the 'Beginners' section.

B

Big Dub Sounds

Audioholic Intern
I was going to add to that actually. There are better options in the price range. The Dayton Sub-100 (10") is often priced at $100, and the 12" very close to that too when on sale. Break the piggy bank for that extra $40-50 and you can get a 15"... These subs at least offer 25Hz performance and significantly cleaner output than the Polk. Still not going to vibrate your couch (the 15" probably will :) ), but they're a better value.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1000-10-100-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-628

No worries, I'm just a guy that never buys something without going online for opinions/reviews, both professional reviews and user reviews. So I thought I'd share my personal experience/opinion.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thanks for the information. Do you have any experience with the KEF Kube 1?
I haven't heard this model, but I can say that KEF makes some great speakers but in subwoofer category many other companies offer better value.

B

Big Dub Sounds

Audioholic Intern
I don't know why anyone would expect data in a sub review. Very few professional subwoofer reviews ever provide any data, yet we should expect a post by a newcomer in the 'beginners' section to provide data? What kind of data could you possibly expect here anyway? CEA-2010-A measurements? The response to this guy's review has been absurd. My only suggestion is that this post would have been more appropriate in the 'write your own reviews' section rather than the 'Beginners' section.
Dude I'm a part time musician, I've learned to never take this kind of stuff personally.

That being said I was quite surprised someone would come in a Forum looking for a detailed review complete with scientific data. But there is always someone out there that needs to feel like a champ because they can use Google.

There are a ton of specialized review sites online that don't even give the information that I did.

That being said I'm new to the site and have learnt a lot just going through forums etc.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis