Polk Audio Hampden Desktop Speakers Overview

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
As an audioholic, I like having good speakers in my car, good headphones, a nice home theater/music system. Some of my friends call me the speaker freak because I have AT LEAST one speaker in each room. I also have speakers in the kitchen, in the living room, in the laundry, and even in the bathroom. But I noticed that there is still one place where I don't have speakers... my desktop. So, I've been checking for some options and I found the Hampden Desktop Speakers from Polk Audio.
1125_brown_white_c.jpg
1125_brown_white_l.jpg
The Hampden speakers are powered speakers and feature a 4-channel amplifier, which means that each driver is driven by its own dedicated amplifier. This method offers better dynamic range and all around clarity. These speakers use one 1" soft-dome silk/polymer tweeter and one robust 4-1/2" mid-woofer with stiff, lightweight composite polypropylene cones. The integrated USB input serves to bypass the lower quality digital-to-analog converter built into most computers while the built-in Digital Signal Processor (DSP) smooths frequency response and creates a wider bass extension. The "laid back" angle aide sends all the sound to your ears.
1125_brown_white_f.jpg

According to Polk, both driver and tweeter are housed in a bass-reflex teak veneer enclosure with downward-firing port - such combination of drivers helps create a richer and warmer sound than similar priced products. Check out the following features and specifications and let me know what you think.

FEATURES:
  • Reduced the distortion by eliminating passive crossover components.
  • The latest advances in Bluetooth wireless technology with apt-X® to ensure the music on your smartphone or tablet, and other compatible devices, is delivered at near-CD sound quality.
  • Polk's exclusive DJ Stream App enables up to 4 mobile devices to seamlessly build a playlist from songs on mobile devices.
SPECIFICATIONS:
  • Product Weight: 2 lbs. (each speaker)
  • Full Range Driver: 1 x 4-1/2" (each speaker)
  • Full Range Type: Dynamic Balance polypropylene cone
  • Tweeter: 1 x 1" (each speaker)
  • Tweeter Type: Dynamic Balance silk/polymer dome
  • Nominal Impedance: 4 ohms
  • Power Supply: 100 - 240V (50-60 Hz)
  • Total Frequency Response: 50Hz - 22kHz
  • Total System Power: 80 watts RMS (2 x 30W + 2 x 10W) watts
  • Wired Connectivity: USB cable; 1/8 (3.5mm) analog audio cable; 4-connector 16 AWG speaker cable with Euro-style connectors
  • Wireless Connectivity: Bluetooth wireless technology with apt-X
  • Speaker Warranty: 5 years / 1 year electronics
PRICE: $399.95

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis