Please point me in the right direction.

H

hexx

Audiophyte
Greetings wisemen,

I am searching for more information for my friend. He has become unhappy with his home setup and have requested me to look for more information to replace his 1962 home made speakers and possibly his receivers/equipments.

He loves to listen to classical music but has begun to need the use of hearing aids. He finds that he can't enjoy the quality of the music at home as he used to and compares it to the clarity of the sound he heard in a concert recently. He feels that it is not that his ears are bad but the home speakers/setup are inadequate.

He would definitely want to reuse his home made cabinets that matches all his furnitures so I'll have to look for speakers that will fit in it / new speakers to fit in it.

I'm thinking it's not so simple to recreate that level of quality at a budget level considering his age old equipments but as I have absolutely no clue on this subject I would like to turn to all of you for advise on reading materials as well as suggestions.

Thank You.

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
I strongly second Lepkron's suggestion. Playing speaker designer is not for the technically uncertain or the faint of heart! Trying to find drivers to fit a particular box is putting the cart before the horse. Not feasible or likely to have a good outcome. Best to build from a kit (Parts Express has several with many satisfied customers) or a tried-and-true design by a recognized expert.

H

hexx

Audiophyte
Thanx for the suggestion. Will be checking it out. However the other thought was if it was possible just to purchase some speaker place it within his own case without any modification. Would there be problems with the sound that way?

P.S. I for one will not be able to do any custom but he built his own speakers last time and I think he won't have much trouble building a new one from parts.

Last edited:
Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
As Usual - Parts Express

Just have him visit Parts Express, or get their catalog. Inside, he'll find all the drivers he'll want to choose from with most of the necessary TS parameters. Them he can choose to best match his existing cabinets.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis