Please help with crossover settings

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
1. The L and R are basically the exact same speaker as the C but just in a tower form. Speaker diameters are exactly the same.

2. The surrounds are all exactly the same speaker. No difference in locations from side and back.

3. Yes ceilings are all the same as well M&K M5 bookshelf type, not in-wall.

Reading on crossovers on Audioholics they mention to not lower the crossover under the manufacture spec....which for the L/R is 80hz. So would 60hz be ok??

Thanks again for your input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Excelkent questions.

1. Speaker diameter is only part of the equation for low end capability, the other important factors are cabinet volume (this is where yours differ), ported or not ported, and port design.

2. Copy, that is what I suspected.

3. How are they mounted? High on side wall or hanging from ceiling?

4. I humbly disagree for following reasons: It is not uncommon to have tower speakers with no sub and in that case all the low frequencies are sent to the towers with no ill effects. This is also true in most "pure direct" modes for stereo content, which typically do not use the sub.
- Furthermore, you are only adjusting the curve a small amount, as Little Wing and Lovinthehd so eloquently showed, even with a 80Hz crossover setting, frequencies below 80Hz are still sent to the speakers (all the way down to 20Hz), albight at lower and lower volumes the lower the frequency.
- The advice is more applicable to smaller bookshelf or especially very small satelite type speakers. Your tower's 5.25" bass drivers will be just fine.

Best method is to select a music passage with good bass that you know and like (I use jazz quartet with bass or classical with cello) and try both settings. See if you hear a difference and which is better. If no difference, then bump up to 80Hz. In my case, I found the lower setting noticably richer in SQ.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

J

jsc1205

Enthusiast
Thanks again for the info it's certainly helpful! Considered doing the Audyssey Pro since Best Buy Magnolia can do it now. But the guy there and I were both contemplating whether it would be worth paying the $250 and getting same type results.
Your input is greatly appreciated!

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Thanks again for the info it's certainly helpful! Considered doing the Audyssey Pro since Best Buy Magnolia can do it now. But the guy there and I were both contemplating whether it would be worth paying the $250 and getting same type results.
Your input is greatly appreciated!

Spend the two Benjamins and a General Grant on some great music and a bottle or two of your favorite adult beverage!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

J

jsc1205

Enthusiast
For what it's worth here is what Audyssey's input:

After calibration the crossover is set at the low frequency roll off detected in the room. This can be significantly affected by room acoustics as well as mic and speaker placement.
You may change the crossover to your preference, it will not affect room correction. More details about crossover here: http://www.audyssey.com/blog/small-vs-large

The calibration level aligns all speakers to the first measurement position. After calibration you may make any changes you prefer to the levels, it won't affect room correction. Details here: http://www.audyssey.com/blog/reference-vs-preference

If you are using the internal test noise, with an SPL meter set to C Slow place at the main listening position, yes it should measure 75dB and yes you can adjust each speaker. The exception is that the SPL meter will not accurately measure the subwoofer, this is because C weighting gives low frequencies a lower measurement than actual output (it "weighs" less). If you goal is reference level alignment, then it is best to leave the subwoofer where it is. If your goal is to make it sound the way you like it, you may increase the level to your preference, room correction will still work with the changes.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For what it's worth here is what Audyssey's input:

After calibration the crossover is set at the low frequency roll off detected in the room. This can be significantly affected by room acoustics as well as mic and speaker placement.
You may change the crossover to your preference, it will not affect room correction. More details about crossover here: http://www.audyssey.com/blog/small-vs-large

Yes, the program uses the in-room f3 point to determine crossover. At 75dB. Will it be the same at higher levels, tho? I know my subs are more capable than my speakers anywhere near the speakers' f3 point (anechoic or in-room), particularly at higher spl levels.

Audyssey's take on changing crossovers, particularly lowering them, is better reflected here rather than the small/large article: https://audyssey.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/212342423

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis