Please Help...!!! Problems with New Denon Receiver...

F

Farrealm

Audiophyte
Hello,

I have just set up my first AV receiver (Denon AVR-X2000) and have run into an issue when playing DVD-s.

SETUP: I am using a Sony BluRay player (BDP-S780) and a Sony screen (KDL-HX820). I have had both for just under two years and all has been working perfectly. I decided I needed better sound so I got the Denon and a couple of floor standing speakers.

PROBLEM: When I am playing a DVD on the Blu-Ray player my screen blinks on and off (every half second or so or it will not display for 10-15 seconds). This also happens when I am not playing a DVD and am just using the Blu-Ray player menu. It will also happen when I play an audio CD (the menu will just blink on and off). Sometimes it happens as soon as I turn the system on or other times after about 30 seconds into playing a DVD / CD.

THE STRANGE THING: Is that when I play a Blu-Ray instead of a DVD using the exact same player the whole movie plays fine (no blinking at all; except when I switch to the player's menu). There are no issues with the sound. The blinking will also happen when the Denon is on Stand-By while the signal is passed through.

Can anyone point me in the right direction. I have read about HDMI "handshake" issues; this could be the issue but it seems strange that a BluRay disc works fine while a DVD causes problems. Wondering if it could be something in the up-scaling that triggers the issue? (by the way, playing DVD-s from my XBox360, also connected to the Denon works fine).

Any ideas!?!?!? Thanks!

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
First step would be to isolate the problem. It could be hardware (faulty device) or software (settings conflict between devices). You don't need to necessarily follow this order. Based on your troubleshooting this far, feel free to pick a specific test.

Let's start with software:
Disconnect TV, receiver and player from power for 5 minutes (aka. soft reset). Doesn't resolve?
On the TV, receiver and player copy all your settings and then disable any scaling or video processing (like film/game mode, etc. TV's Color and brightness settings don't need to be changed). Have the TV and player send native signal and receiver simply switch video inputs. Doesn't resolve?

Time to look at hardware:
If possible, switch to a different input on the TV. If the flickering stops, it could be the TV.

Does this happen on any other video sources routed through the Denon? Does it happen if the player is connected to a different receive input? Does it happen when you have the Denon setup menus or Networking input selected? If yes, most likely the Denon is at fault.

Plug the Sony player directly into the cable that you use in Denon HDMI out. If the flickering continues the Denon can be excluded.

Last but not the least, the HDMI cable itself could be faulty. If all the above don't result in isolating the problem, try a different cable.

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
Dang it! Just reread your post and noticed you specifically mentioned that DVDs from the 360 work fine. This is most likely a settings issue. Time for Adam to read the manuals and suggest specific tweaks.

(Adam is the resident owners manual library. He reads them instead of the newspaper and bedtime stories :D.)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Worth mentioning:

Make sure all firmware has been updated across all your devices. Minor tweaks, especially in the A/V receiver, often can fix HDCP issues. This is what it sounds like is the problem, but it could be the HDMI cable itself.

How long is the HDMI cable between the receiver and the display?
Have you tried setting the upconversion resolution lower on the BD player? Perhaps to 1080i? Does that change anything?

I'm assuming that the BD player works fine when connected directly to the TV, bypassing the Denon and using the same cable that is already run to the Denon?

F

Farrealm

Audiophyte
Thanks everyone for replying. Got home from work late but will try all the ideas tomorrow. Will let you know how it went.

Just note (not sure if it helps)
Bluray player + bluray disk = no problem
Bluray player + DVD = flickering (even when using the Bluray player menu)
Bluray player + CD = flickering (play back menu on TV flickers)
XBox + DVD = no problem

Have a feeling that the DVD upscaling confuses the system. Strange that it affects the menu even when the disk is not playing. Its like as soon as you put in a DVD something changes in the settings.

Thanks again

F

Farrealm

Audiophyte
I think I found the solution. As suggested I turned deep colour output off and switched the DVD up-conversion output from 1080p to 1080i. Seems to have fixed it, no blinking on and off and even the Blu-ray player menu is stable (when a CD or DVD is inserted). Will need to check what did the trick of course, deep colour setting or p vs. i. Won't touch it for now though... :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I think I found the solution. As suggested I turned deep colour output off and switched the DVD up-conversion output from 1080p to 1080i. Seems to have fixed it, no blinking on and off and even the Blu-ray player menu is stable (when a CD or DVD is inserted). Will need to check what did the trick of course, deep colour setting or p vs. i. Won't touch it for now though... :)
Glad that you got it fixed! Sorry that I didn't respond earlier, but I figured that it was what you thought at first - a resolution setting. I'd appreciate it if you'd let us know if it was one or the other (deep color or resolution) that fixed your issue. Thanks.

(Adam is the resident owners manual library. He reads them instead of the newspaper and bedtime stories :D.)
But...those are my bedtime stories. :eek: :D

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
Glad it's fixed.

But...those are my bedtime stories. :eek: :D
LOL! Reminds me of the time I was TV shopping (for patents). Must have gone through 600 AVS forum pages and 5 owners manuals.

A

AZRon

Audiophyte
I had been struggling with a problem ... the image from my Panasonic DMP-BD70V Blu-ray/DVD/VHS player was flashing when I played it through my Denon AVR-X1000. I had tried three different HDMI cables, no joy. Tried a different HDMI port on the Denon, and thought the result confirmed that it was a hardware problem with the Panasonic. But same thing happened when I tried a Sony player. A Google search led me here (luckily). Changed Panasonic's setting from "Auto" to 1080i (thus avoiding 1080p) and the very annoying flashing is gone! I was getting flashing on Blu-rays, DVDs and all menus. Seems like the solution is less than ideal, but thrilled that we can watch discs again!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis