Please help. I want to enjoy music again.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Do you know what JBL is doing with these?
I think sales of the 530 were probably excellent, but they have been out of circulation for a while now.
Are they just clearing out old stock? I might have thought we wuld have seen a replacement by now.
hard to say what they are going to do about the 530 -- but the 520 center is due back in stock.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
The fit and finish of the Ultras is stellar. By all accounts, the fit and finish of the Studio 5 series is a little rough. The plastic outrigger feet are supposed to be a bit weak for their purpose, and look at the drivers in the shot below - obviously, the designers are not trying to make a visually stunning product.
I can kind of understand JBL's angle with the style on these, in an age where people "ooh-ahh" over classic cars with a flat black finish and zero chrome and 24" wheels.

Fine wood furniture is kind of spotty too these days, it seems. Personally, I am only really a fan of piano black on a piano or on certain cars. I like what other people do with it in their homes but in mine, I would tire of it. Of course, I feel the same way about wall art as well and I have no eye for interior design or even choosing the right paint colors. I have to ask women friends what color to paint my home. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
By all accounts, the fit and finish of the Studio 5 series is a little rough. The plastic outrigger feet are supposed to be a bit weak for their purpose, and look at the drivers in the shot below - obviously, the designers are not trying to make a visually stunning product. On this model, the budget was not increased to make the details look good!
So, knowing yourself (or your friend, in Pogre's case), consider that.
If you like things clean and pristine, the Studio 5XX's are not a good fit. If you have a "utility" attitude about such things, these are perfect!
The fit and finish on my 590/530/520 are fine. I don't look at them with the grills off, tho, they look better on (and don't have to put the extra piece for the horn on either). They're plenty clean and pristine and I've been surprised how many think they look cool (personally not the most aesthetically pleasing but I don't rank aesthetics of the speakers very highly---I don't watch the speakers).

The thing with the feet on the 590s, that are perfectly fine, is that they shipped them installed when they should have shipped them for the end user to install, especially with the factory JBL packaging. Mine arrived in fairly good shape but loosened one foot due to packing/handling; I reinforced it and its good to go.

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
The fit and finish on my 590/530/520 are fine. I don't look at them with the grills off, tho, they look better on (and don't have to put the extra piece for the horn on either). They're plenty clean and pristine and I've been surprised how many think they look cool (personally not the most aesthetically pleasing but I don't rank aesthetics of the speakers very highly---I don't watch the speakers).

The thing with the feet on the 590s, that are perfectly fine, is that they shipped them installed when they should have shipped them for the end user to install, especially with the factory JBL packaging. Mine arrived in fairly good shape but loosened one foot due to packing/handling; I reinforced it and its good to go.
I wouldn't mind the look of those either. I would like it better than the faux woodgrain black vinyl (or whatever it is) that's on my JBL speakers and it never really occurred to me to like, or dislike it as long as it was clean looking.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn't mind the look of those either. I would like it better than the faux woodgrain black vinyl (or whatever it is) that's on my JBL speakers and it never really occurred to me to like, or dislike it as long as it was clean looking.
I'd really be curious how you'd like them since you're an old JBL fan like me (IIRC), really like these. Solid speakers, could be improved of course (and that's available for an appropriate up charge :) ).

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I'd really be curious how you'd like them since you're an old JBL fan like me (IIRC), really like these. Solid speakers, could be improved of course (and that's available for an appropriate up charge :) ).
I like just about everything JBL does, right down to the badge they put on the speakers. Besides, they have something for everyone when it comes right down to it, sound wise and aesthetically, really. I always thought they had a pro sound and look to them and that is likely what I would buy, again and again.

I don't even need the ones I have but I won't get rid of them, because I can always rely on them to sound good when I don't feel like fussing with audio much other than just listening.

As far as the feet, I don't know what people really expect for what they are intended for. But some people can break things even if they are cast iron. I have a Hurst, Super Shifter 2 in my Ford Bronco and it has 1/2" hardened steel linkages and is essentially bombproof and my older brother managed to break it. He broke two other floor shifters in two other cars too. If he had speakers with steel feet, he would break the cabinet instead. Perhaps it is a good thing that the feet aren't 'too' strong in some cases.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis