Please help for music + home theater speakers!

Which speakers are best for home theater and music for around 1500?

• Bic Acoustech

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • JBL Studio

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Ascend Acoustic CMT340s

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • SVS

• Klipsch RF82s

• Other (post your recommendation)

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
J

Jalal Soltani

Audiophyte
Hi Everyone,
So I found this forum and I'm hoping the pros can help me make a wise choice on what to get.
I've been reading some of the other threads and it seems like there are a lot of great options.

What I would like is to use this 5.1 setup in my living room for both movies and music.
My living room is about 12x10 and has an open end to the dining/kitchen. Attached are pictures.
I've already got a subwoofer and receiver so I am on a budget of around 1500 for the remaining speakers.
My receiver is an Onkyo TX-NR509 which says 80watts at 8 ohms and 110watts at 6 ohms.
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR509-Receiver-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B004O0TRCO

Now I've heard of SVS, JBL Studio, and the AscendAcoustic CMT 340 sets on these forums and am not sure which is best for my room layout, purposes, and best bang for the buck for my budget.

One thing I found during my research says that these Bic Acoustechs are better than the JBL Studios, is this marketing hype or agreed on by the experts?
http://floor-standing-speakers.toptenreviews.com/
IMG_20150629_180933.jpg IMG_20150629_180948.jpg IMG_20150629_181003.jpg IMG_20150629_181034.jpg
As you can see by my attachments, my furniture isn't situated optimally for speakers so maybe some advice on placement would be great too!
Thank you all!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I think you'd be quite happy with this package:
HSU Hybrid 2 - 5.1 Package in Satin Black
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid2pkg.html
Added bonus is your Onkyo 509 (80wpc) wont have to work very hard to play these speakers at very loud volumes (if so desired)

Ascend CMT340se would be noticeable step up, but your $1500 budget would be used entirely on LCR speakers, which you'd have to add more money for surrounds and most critically sub.

J

Jalal Soltani

Audiophyte
Hi there, thanks for the feedback on the CL ad. I'll remove that from my list...
So I'm not sure what you're talking about for the CMT 340s being $1500 just for the LCR... I created a full surround package (not including subwoofer) of 5 speakers:
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/
using the system advisor....
CMT-340 SE front pr + CMT-340 SE center + CBM-170 SE rear pr
after discount this comes to about $1163.80

I already have a subwoofer.. I'll post the link to the model later so I'm just looking for speakers. Unfortunately I won't be able to utilize any subwoofer too greatly as I'm in an apartment complex with neighbors I don't want to disturb lol. For this reason I'm not too interested in spending more to replace my current sub.
Most of these setups look to be for a home theater setup. Would any of these options be good for music as well? I was thinking something with floorstanding speakers. I'm still trying to figure out why the CMT-340s would be a better pick for LCR than say the
BIC Amercia Acoustech Platinum Series PL-89II tower speaker
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VIXH7I/?&tag=ttr_floor_standing_speakers-20&ascsubtag=[site|ttr[cat|534[art|NA[pid|54369[tid|NA[bbc|NA

Although reading into that... I don't know if my receiver can support that kind of wattage...

Last edited:
agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
In a $1500 budget, EMP Tek package in Red Burl:
$700 http://emptek.com/r55ti.php
$195 http://emptek.com/r5ci.php
$445 http://emptek.com/r55wi.php

The Red Burl vinyl looks very good in person. EMP get's their designs and drivers from RBH. RBH makes excellent high end speakers and the trickle down effect has resulted in excellent options for budget conscious folk wanting high end sound. EMP will get you 80% there for 40-50% the cost.

Or, the Ascend package you priced. That company has excellent speakers reviewed, measured and heard at several get-together events.

In brief, they both have vastly better drivers than the BIC speakers, better internal components and cabinet construction. Highly unlikely, BIC will sound like the same league player.

You will not find a single unsatisfied customer with either. Both have exceptional after sales service for those who had to call on it.

J

Jalal Soltani

Audiophyte
For the record, I'm not looking for extremely loud. I'm looking for quality of sound at a good price.
I went back and found out that my Subwoofer is a Klipsch RW12D.
http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-RW12D-12-inch-Reference-Subwoofer/dp/B000UVWIO0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1435764812&sr=1-1&keywords=klipsch+12d

I realize, being klipsch, it's not the best sub but I'm hoping to get away with keeping it or upgrading later.
I'm not sure about the Sierra 1s. Spending about $500 more plus needing to purchase an amp might break my budget since I still need to buy accessories like speaker wire, bannana plugs, etc.

I was thinking to go with the 340s and then when I've got more saved up and ready to upgrade again, I would simply move the 340s to surround channels and buy a couple ascend acoustic towers for the left and right, and possibly upgrade the center.

Does this sound like a good idea?

I actually live really close to the ascend acoustics warehouse so I'll be stopping by in a couple days to listen to their demo room.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan

I actually live really close to the ascend acoustics warehouse so I'll be stopping by in a couple days to listen to their demo room.
I am a JBL Studio fan - however since you live near Ascend, that
pretty much settles your speaker choice.:)

I would aim higher than that Klipsch sub
I would aim at least around this area - HSU VTF-2
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk4.html

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I'm not sure about the Sierra 1s. Spending about $500 more plus needing to purchase an amp might break my budget since I still need to buy accessories like speaker wire, bannana plugs, etc.
The Onkyo 509 will drive the Sierra 1 or CMT 340 just fine. For same amount of power delivered by the receiver, the CMT 340 will be louder.
I was thinking to go with the 340s and then when I've got more saved up and ready to upgrade again, I would simply move the 340s to surround channels and buy a couple ascend acoustic towers for the left and right, and possibly upgrade the center.

A lot of people do this so the idea is great! IMO, the CBM 170 make more sense as surrounds. Based on your upgrade path, I'd recommend you get only these for now. Many folk (myself included) run 2.0 or 2.1 setups for movies and the phantom center effect created by the L - R is sufficient. If you are eventually planning on the Sierra tower, the matching Sierra Horizon center is a requirement. That is the only way you will be assured a seamless frontstage (L - C - R).

Philharmonic Audio and Salk Sound make towers with sonic characteristics very similar to Sierra Towers. Make sure you check them out when shopping for those.

This will be a treat! I bet a Rythmik Sound subwoofer will be on the list by the time you leave and the Klipsch sub's days will be numbered :D.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I think you'd be quite happy with this package:
HSU Hybrid 2 - 5.1 Package in Satin Black
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid2pkg.html
Added bonus is your Onkyo 509 (80wpc) wont have to work very hard to play these speakers at very loud volumes (if so desired)

Ascend CMT340se would be noticeable step up, but your $1500 budget would be used entirely on LCR speakers, which you'd have to add more money for surrounds and most critically sub.
I second this set. I have the bookshelf and they shine with music, so dialog with these are a sinch. Here are the speakers only sets without the sub, since you said you have one already: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/speakerpkg.html

Last edited:
J

Jalal Soltani

Audiophyte
First off I'd like to thank everybody for their feedback and advice. It is truly invaluable to me. My takeaway so far is:

The initial plan if the demo tomorrow goes well will be to buy:
2x CBM 170s (on sale)
2x CMT 340s
1x CMT 340 center
and use it with my pre-existing klipsch sub...

This will cost me about $1150 after tax...
Who knows? Maybe they'll have a 4th of July offer on upgrades for me... (X Thumbs and drapes an american flag over his shoulder)

Next year I'll have to upgrade the subwoofer (Rythmik?) and possibly the receiver for an Onkyo 7.2 (TX-NR747) before assessing my budget for the towers.

Question, would it be a bad mix if I went ahead and grabbed the horizon center now instead of the 340 center? I am not fond of the idea of ghosting the center and I know if I buy the 340 centers I won't want to take a loss to upgrade them a year later.

When I start looking at the towers I'll check out the brands you mentioned.

The Onkyo 509 will drive the Sierra 1 or CMT 340 just fine. For same amount of power delivered by the receiver, the CMT 340 will be louder.
A lot of people do this so the idea is great! IMO, the CBM 170 make more sense as surrounds. Based on your upgrade path, I'd recommend you get only these for now. Many folk (myself included) run 2.0 or 2.1 setups for movies and the phantom center effect created by the L - R is sufficient. If you are eventually planning on the Sierra tower, the matching Sierra Horizon center is a requirement. That is the only way you will be assured a seamless frontstage (L - C - R).

Philharmonic Audio and Salk Sound make towers with sonic characteristics very similar to Sierra Towers. Make sure you check them out when shopping for those.

This will be a treat! I bet a Rythmik Sound subwoofer will be on the list by the time you leave and the Klipsch sub's days will be numbered :D.

Last edited:
agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Question, would it be a bad mix if I went ahead and grabbed the horizon center now instead of the 340 center? I am not fond of the idea of ghosting the center.
No this does not make sense. The Horizon is in a different league and will be wasted in that mix.

I'd say, go with what you listed, When you're ready for Sierra Towers get the Horizon. It will be easy to flog the CMT340 LCR here or on other AV forums.

If the living room is where you intend to go 7.1, in the current orientation, there isn't sufficient room for the rear speakers. Now if you rotate 90 degrees, so that TV faces the mirror, you may get away with it.

J

Jalal Soltani

Audiophyte
Good point Agarwalro, I didn't intend on going 7.1 until after I moved out of my current apartment and into something more 7.1 friendly.
Even at 5.1 and at my current location with the fireplace being where it is, positioning these speakers are my next challenge. Center speaker would fit well under my tv on the tv stand but where to put the rest? One in front of the fireplace angled towards the couch (left)
one near the red vase angled towards the couch (right)
Or I could shift the TV Backwards on the stand and maybe put the CMT 340s in front and to the sides of it but then I think they'd be too close together...

Not even sure about the rears... seems like L sectionals in a corner are the worst for speaker placement!
Maybe right above the two corners of the couch against the wall with the singing butler painting?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Center speaker would fit well under my tv on the tv stand but where to put the rest?
Or I could shift the TV Backwards on the stand and maybe put the CMT 340s in front and to the sides of it but then I think they'd be too close together...
Either way the center's tweeter needs to point to your ear level when seated. Ideally, it would be at the same height as the LR tweeters. If you put it in the empty shelf above the amp, use door stops to angle it up. I'd vote to put the TV on a riser and keep the center on the TV shelf. Something like this,

Whatever you do, the center should not be recessed. If at all possible, it should be in front of the TV stand, but, flush with the edge will do.
One in front of the fireplace angled towards the couch (left)
one near the red vase angled towards the couch (right)
This might be too far.
put the CMT 340s in front and to the sides of it but then I think they'd be too close together...
This is definitely too close. Ideally, the distance between LR should equal their distance to your main seat (to form an equilateral triangle).

Not even sure about the rears... seems like L sectionals in a corner are the worst for speaker placement!
Maybe right above the two corners of the couch against the wall with the singing butler painting?
They will have to be right up against the back wall at the two ends of the couch. When you're seated, they should not be ahead of you.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis