Please get rid of the pop-up contextual ads

T

TVJon

Audioholic
Love the forum and I know advertising supports the site but those VibrantMedia pop-up contextual ads are really annoying. I try to navigate around the keywords so they don't pop-up, but it's a negative experience nonetheless.

Is there a way for users to turn them off?

TVJon

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
I use IE and NEVER get these popups... but I know how to secure my system...

T

TVJon

Audioholic
I'm using a legacy PPC MacBook Titanium which won't run OS 10.5, which takes some current pop-up blockers out of the picture. Apple's new tablet may just solve that problem!

What I'd really like to see is the forum hosts realize that these intrusive ads can be a roadblock to building their audience, so they pull them. Advertising that makes people mad at the advertisers isn't really effective, is it?

TVJon

majorloser

majorloser

The advertising pays the bills and gives us members a "free" place to hang out. There are many other forums that have paid levels of membership so you can disable ads, use avatars, search the forum multiple times per session and even send multiple PM's.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I'm using a legacy PPC MacBook Titanium which won't run OS 10.5, which takes some current pop-up blockers out of the picture. Apple's new tablet may just solve that problem!

What I'd really like to see is the forum hosts realize that these intrusive ads can be a roadblock to building their audience, so they pull them. Advertising that makes people mad at the advertisers isn't really effective, is it?

TVJon
What browser? Maybe the forum wants you to update your laptop:eek::D:)

T

TVJon

Audioholic
Hi bandphan... Safari most of the time... but only out of habit. Updating (meaning replacing) my laptop is on my list but the Panasonic PT-AE4000 is above it. :D

To majorloser's point, I do appreciate the value of advertising as a way to deliver this site to people who want to participate. I actually like seeing the ads from quality HT vendors on the pages here. I appreciate their support of this forum. In fact, I've made significant purchases from several site sponsors.

For me the key difference is who's in charge.

In the case of banner ads, I choose whether to click on them. Advertisers who make a compelling offer get rewarded -- by my choice. On the contrary, these contextual text ads interrupt and intrude on what the members here are doing. The ads - not the members - are in control. To make matters worse, I haven't seen one that's made a compelling offer.

My prediction is that contextual ads like this will eventually fade away because, like the pop-up ads before them, the negative customer experience and the miniscule click-through rate will convince advertisers and content providers to shift to a different method.

My hope is that this happens sooner rather than later. Like I said before, annoying potential customers is not a way to win their hearts.

TVJon

One more thing... it does strike me as ironic how the system tries to pitch pop up software that's designed to defeat it. ;)

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Ill send the exclusion file for safari we I get back home. I have no issues with AH advertisers just the popup balloons:) I allow the other ADV to appear.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Is there a way for users to turn them off?
TVJon
Go to Safari: Preferences: Security:
... and deselect "Enable Javascript".

You'll have to turn it back on to post, etc, but if you're just lurking and reading, it works fine. Also usually kills popover flash ads everywhere on "the interwebs" and a host of other popover annoyances, eg: ShareThis, etc. Don't be afraid to reload the page if necessary to enable it when needed.

I often find I've been surfing for hours before I click on something and "nothing happens" ... oh yeah, turn Javascript back on. It doesn't adversely affect browsing 90% of the time to have it disabled; in fact it's refreshing to finally surf without all the crap popping up everywhere ... eg Stereophile's "subscribe" popover, Salon's, etc.

I also use a CSS based ad-blocker which turns 90% of all web based adverting off (you just see blank marker outlines) and you can leave that on all the time. Google for it, it's not hard to find, and you can edit it to add new annoyances anytime.

Copy it somewhere to your computer (I use Users: Library: Internet Plugins, but anywhere convenient is fine) and point Safari to it at:

Safari: Preferences: Advanced: Style Sheet

Finally, install ClicktoFlash (free download) to kill all Flash based ads, as well as annoying things like websites that blast some audio on the home page when you're trying to surf and listen to music. You can always load Flash by clicking on the blank placeholder, or add a site to a whitelist to always display Flash content. When surfing away from an AC outlet, you will find your battery lasts much longer with a portable if you aren't loading every little Flash thingy on every page.

Both Adobe web technologies (Flash and PDF) are useful to deploy malware, although generally it's a Windows executable that arrives by that vector, so it does nothing on your Mac. I use a non-Adobe flash viewer that cannot take advantage of the PDF exploit for reading PDFs in the browser, but you generally have to use the genuine Adobe product if there's a form to fill out.

Sometimes downloading it and using Preview allows you to fill out forms but it depends on how the security was set by whomever built the form in Acrobat if that will work well or not. I don't even have Adobe Reader installed on the system, but if you need to do forms for work you won't be able to live long without it. If it is installed, make sure it's not the default app to open PDFs.

If you don't do forms, you don't need it on OSX as the entire GUI is based on Adobe PDF (OS9 and earlier was PostScript based) and there's always a way to view or create PDFs with the tools that come with the OS (eg Safari: File: Print: and in the window that appears, click the [PDF] button and select "Save as PDF"). You can save an entire web page or article that way, as well as any file on your Mac that will print.

Having said that, there's no reason to believe that a trojan (a file that masquerades as something else that you, presumably, will install yourself, unaware) can't be run on any OS if properly crafted. You don't have the drive-by download issue on OSX (or Firefox on Windows) but that doesn't mean to suggest there's no way to get evil running. Better safe than sorry.

You can also disable Java at the same preferences pane where you find Javascript. There is almost no need to have Java enabled when surfing, and it's a huge security hole on any browser or platform. Occasionally you might have to turn it on and reload the page; eg doing a "speed test" for your net connection. But there's no need to have it on all the time.

Note that Java and Javascript are two completely different, completely unrelated things. Many people confuse one for the other, but they are so different it's not even funny; the similarity in naming is a very unfortunate circumstance due to the confusion it normally causes.

I'm not going to provide any links out of respect for the site and it's revenue model. If you can't find this stuff yourself ... well ... them's the breaks.

Last edited:
T

TVJon

Audioholic
Wow, Johnny2Bad... thanks very much for the detailed post. Ever consider working at the Genius bar in your local Apple store?

TVJon

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis