Please comment on Home Theater component choices!

• Thread starter Kerosene Burner
  • Start date
Kerosene Burner

Kerosene Burner

Audiophyte
Hi all-
Well, I've been glued to my computer and forums like these for days, trying to soak up all the opinions and knowledge about the selection of quality home theater components, and I must say I am grateful to all those who post for the benefit of newcomers like me so I can get up to speed!
That said, I've made some choices on my components for my first-ever movie room, and would like to run them by you for discussion. I realize that a good home theater is more than just slapping a bunch of equipment on a shelf and connecting wires- the components need to work with each other and be a fit for my space.
So here's my room:
Dedicated movie room, 15ft deep by 12.5 feet wide, with some variations in corners, ceiling, etc. It's in the basement, so light is under my total control. I have 7.5 foot ceilings. I've not yet framed the room, so will stand off the frame by an inch or so from the wall, insulate and drywall all the way around. I'm going to make some dampening panels out of Owens Corning 703 or similar material for acoustic reasons. I'll only be watching dvd or HD sources in there.

Here's the equipment:
Screen- Da-Lite Perm Wall 16:9
Receiver- Pioneer VSX 1015
DVD player- Oppo PDV971H upconverting 1080 dvd player.
Speakers- SV Sound SBS-01 5.1 package
Projector- Optoma HD72.

I think the receiver only upconverts (or should I say 'handles') composites, components, and S-video, not DVI. My digital cable box (HDTV signal) supposedly will have component/composite outputs, so I'm good there. The Oppo will ( as I understand it ) upsample and output through DVI, so I could run that right to the Optoma and not even bother running it through the receiver, since the Pioneer wouldn't be able to do that anyway. My HD signal is already the way I want it, so I'd be running it through the receiver just because, I guess...

So, there it is. You can see that I am definitely on a budget, but feel also that there are great components for a first time theater builder like me to buy.

Anyone and everyone, please feel free to give feedback. Did I miss anything, take something for granted, make a totally hosed up choice?
Thanks,
Ryan!

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I am not familiar with the projector or screen, nor have I heard the SVS speakers. However, the Oppo and Pioneer are both supposed to be excellent at their price point (as is the SVS sub). You probably are not getting a lot of replies because you seem to have done a decent job of making your selections, and most people seem to like to give others the benefit of their wisdom, if you know what I mean. I like having an SACD player, so I am happier with my Yamaha DVD-C750 than I would be with the Oppo, but the Oppo is supposed to be better with video (provided one uses the DVI output). This, by the way, is not a criticism of your selection; if you don't want SACD, then the Oppo is probably an excellent choice.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Perfect. We can tell you've been studying up here. ;)

Now post some pics to photobucket.com and transfer the img.

Kerosene Burner

Kerosene Burner

Audiophyte
Thanks!

Wow, how's that for a vote of confidence?
No criticism taken on the Oppo choice- SACD is not an issue and DVI video is my goal.
Thanks to all of you who post on these forums, I really appreciate the wealth of information out there!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis