PlayStation3 Game Console Ship Date Delayed

According to a report at Reuters, Sony's launch of the PlayStation 3 (PS3) could be delayed if "industry specifications" for some of its technology are not finalized soon. Despite the news, Sony is still gearing up for a Spring rollout. The article's discussion of delays is laced with vague references to technology surround Blue-ray Disc and "input and output video and sound". To us this spells out a couple of things: BD-related DRM issues and HDMI 1.3 finalization. In essence the game console is likely being delayed over issues having to do with use of the console as a BD source component.

[Read More]

Last edited by a moderator:
Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
Sony has alot riding on this. Their stock to a good hit yesterday on the 800-900 cost to manufactor the PS3 along with the $500 price tag to consumers. Rumor on the PS3 develeopers sites say slim to none for launch titiles. Id still like to own one though :), Id put it right next to my x360

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I like the fact that Sony would rather delay the launch than have a half baked product on the market.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
All I can say is, hahaha. Sony is going to get what they deserve. I don't plan to buy any of the new consoles but with the crap Sony tries to pull on consumers I think they deserve to lose some (a lot) momentum.

Naves74

Naves74

Junior Audioholic
Both the Xbox 360 and PS3 are hard to swallow. I really dont understand $500 for a game console. Yea, sure I want one the day it comes out but I dont see forking the money over for one. I could upgrade my computer and make one heck of a gamming rig for that much money and do alot more then a PS3 or Xbox.

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
Odd...I read an article this morning on a tech/hd blog stating that Sony was denying any delay of the PS3. That article has since been removed from that site and I can't find any reference to that article on google.

R

ragged

Senior Audioholic
I can't understand why people complain about the pricing for these consoles. I mean, you spend $500 bucks to get a ps3. It plays games, has a 60 gig hdd, stores a/v content, streams a/v content to your tv from your pc, browses the web, plays hd-dvd and functions as a dvr.

If you also have a psp, you can remotely access the a/v content stored on the hdd from anywhere, as long as you have wireless internet connection.
What the hell do you expect it to cost?:confused:
If you want to spend the $500.00 on upgrades to your computer, go right ahead, but it's nowhere near as cool. :)

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
:D

I see this as another BETAMAX, a format that also utilizes older codecs rather revamping them or making new ones that handle better compression to take advantage of the storage size. Toshba's HD-DVD is touting 120min in a 10GB chunk of space at 1080i with DD+ and DTS-HD at 10-12mbits/sec. They will be using an advanced version of the VC-1 codec (MPEG4). I first used the VC-1 in school for multimedia design and video capture/editing. Picture has way more depth and lifelike then any MPEG2 capture I have seen.

Sure Sony is claiming 1080p outut but if they can't get their $H!T to work thats a differnt story. Oh BTW how many 1080p screens out their that have the 1official 1080p ready inputs out there. If I am not mistaking HDMI 1.1 is only up to 1080i (officially at least) so that means the HDMI would need to be 1.2 or 1.3 or to truly support that resolution.

~Bob

Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
Gellor, I read that also about them denying the delay (maybe on engadget or slashdot).
Ragged, lets see what comes in the PS3 before saying it is going to do this and that. Fucntions as a DVR, maybe but I doubt it. I have a DVR from comcast and they have a hard enough time keeping the firmware upto date and the thing not locking up never mind sony making it work in a game machine. All of that is pure rumor anyway.
Most of the data I have read seems to state that Sony is risking alot by trying to make this more then a game machine. At the end of the day it is games that will buy this not people looking for a dvr or media center. On that note if its a media center they have to make it work with windows. Most people, like it or not have windows. Not Mac or Suse etc. Lets see how easy Microsoft makes the ps3 interface with windows. If not, what is the point of a media server that will not interact with your network?

R

ragged

Senior Audioholic
Well, I'm a diehard ps fan. As for the rest of sony's computer products, they are bs. I have to have something to look forward to this year, besides the release of toca 3 tomorrow.:D

Khellandros66 said:
If I am not mistaking HDMI 1.1 is only up to 1080i (officially at least) so that means the HDMI would need to be 1.2 or 1.3 or to truly support that resolution.
No, that's not true. HDMI 1.0 supports 1080p/60.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis