PlayStation 3 - Setup Questions

MrRipfrog

MrRipfrog

Audiophyte
Hello,

I recently picked up a Pioneer VSX-32 Receiver and am using the PlayStation 3 (not slim) hooked up via HDMI to the receiver and then HDMI to a Pioneer PRO-1140HD Plasma. I have a couple of questions regarding the setup of the PS3 to help achieve the best sound/video quality.

During playback of BD's, I was getting PCM on my receiver so I went into the setup menu of the PS3 and changed the BD Audio Output Format (HDMI) to Bitstream from Linear PCM. This appeared to help as I now get the DTS and other symbols on the receiver. Would this be the correct setting?

I also have a question about the cinema conversion. It is currently set to automatic. Should I leave this as such or is it better to turn this option off and let the receiver handle the conversion? I believe this receiver is supposed to have a good video processing engine?

The same question for the BD upscaler, BD Dynamic Range Control and BD 1080P 24 Hz Output (HDMI) - They are all set to automatic currently. Should I set them to NO to let the receiver handle it?

Any feedback and suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Eric

Plasma - Pioneer PRO-1140 HD (50")
Receiver - Pioneer VSX-32
BluRay/Game - Playstation 3 (original)
Game - XBox 360
HD DVD - Samsung HD A2
Programming - DirecTV HR24-500
Speakers - Polk Audio RT1000p (main) CS300 (center) RT3 (surround back) T15 (surround sides)

Guiria

Guiria

Senior Audioholic
During playback of BD's, I was getting PCM on my receiver so I went into the setup menu of the PS3 and changed the BD Audio Output Format (HDMI) to Bitstream from Linear PCM. This appeared to help as I now get the DTS and other symbols on the receiver. Would this be the correct setting?
Short answer: Let the ps3 be your audio codec processor and send the signal to your receiver. Keep the receiver in PCM mode.

If you push select on your ps3 controller while a BD or DVD is playing you can see what type of audio is being sent to the receiver. On my Onkyo I couldn't get TrueHD and DTS MA to work on my receiver but I can send that signal to the receiver from the ps3 so I have my receiver on PCM when playing BD and I get the HD audio.

I believe bitstream will not handle the HD audio and you'll only get regular DD or DTS.

Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I believe bitstream will not handle the HD audio and you'll only get regular DD or DTS.

Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong.
This is correct. The old "fattie" PS 3 cannot bitstream the HD codecs. But it can do the decoding itself and send the audio to your receiver as MCPCM. The sound quality is no different, you just don't get the warm fuzzy feeling of seeing "DTS-MA" or "Dolby TrueHD" light up on your receiver's display.

MrRipfrog

MrRipfrog

Audiophyte
Thank you for the replies!

I have done a little testing and I believe you are correct in saying that the older PS3 cannot handle the HD Audio.

My findings are:

When Bitstream is selected:
- The audio sounds "louder"
- I get "DTS" and "ES" on the receiver along with "THX"
- The active speakers on the receiver are "L, C, R, SL, SR, XC and LFE"

When Linear PCM is selected:
- The audio sounds "softer" - at the same audio level as above -25
- I get "PCM" on the receiver
- The active speakers on the receiver are "L, C, R, SL, SR, XL, XR, and LFE"

It's hard to notice a difference in sound quality.

Does the new (slim) PS3 handle the HD Audio? Do you think it would be worth it for the upgrade? Would you recommend a standalone BluRay player over the PS3?

My rational is I just upgraded to this new receiver and want to take advantage of the quality available.

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks for any feedback!
Eric

Guiria

Guiria

Senior Audioholic
You are taking advantage of the HD codecs when using the receiver in multichannel PCM mode.

Double check the output of your ps3 by pushing select and making sure your ps3 is outputting the HD codecs.

You would be in the same boat with the new PS3 as the original.

S

supermansoccer1

Audiophyte
Help!

I just bought the Polk audio T15 bookshelf speakers on black friday. I have a samsung DLP TV and connected to it I have a PS3, Xbox 360, and just a cable box.
I know nothing about electronics but I bought these speakers and just thought that I could plug them into the TV or to the PS3,xbox.... When I pulled the speakers out, it appears that there are no possible inputs on any of those devices for the speakers.

What do I need to do to plug in these speakers and make them work?

Any advice is MUCH appreciated.

Guiria

Guiria

Senior Audioholic
I just bought the Polk audio T15 bookshelf speakers on black friday. I have a samsung DLP TV and connected to it I have a PS3, Xbox 360, and just a cable box.
I know nothing about electronics but I bought these speakers and just thought that I could plug them into the TV or to the PS3,xbox.... When I pulled the speakers out, it appears that there are no possible inputs on any of those devices for the speakers.

What do I need to do to plug in these speakers and make them work?

Any advice is MUCH appreciated.
First of all your post isn't all that relative to MrRipFrog's thread so next time start your own instead of hijacking someone else's ;)

To make those speakers work you need some form of amplification. An amplifier goes in between your speakers and your source (PS3, etc). It's what delivers power to your speakers. Typically a surround sound receiver if hooking up to your TV, PS3, etc. but you could find a 2 channel amplifier as well if you don't want all the digital surround sound processing abilities a receiver has.

Without knowing your intentions or budget I would suggest either returning the speakers and getting your money back or buying a surround sound receiver so you can add speakers to your system as funds/desire permit.

If what I'm saying to you is still greek then take some time and read about A/V from somewhere like here http://www.audioholics.com/education or just browse through the forum and I'm sure you'll pick up on the basic equipment that is required to power speakers :)

Good luck.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you for the replies!

I have done a little testing and I believe you are correct in saying that the older PS3 cannot handle the HD Audio.

My findings are:

When Bitstream is selected:
- The audio sounds "louder"
- I get "DTS" and "ES" on the receiver along with "THX"
- The active speakers on the receiver are "L, C, R, SL, SR, XC and LFE"

When Linear PCM is selected:
- The audio sounds "softer" - at the same audio level as above -25
- I get "PCM" on the receiver
- The active speakers on the receiver are "L, C, R, SL, SR, XL, XR, and LFE"

It's hard to notice a difference in sound quality.

Does the new (slim) PS3 handle the HD Audio? Do you think it would be worth it for the upgrade? Would you recommend a standalone BluRay player over the PS3?

My rational is I just upgraded to this new receiver and want to take advantage of the quality available.

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks for any feedback!
Eric
As others have told you, the fat and the slim both handle HD audio. A stand alone player will most likely not get you better BR PQ either. With DVDs, a few players (e.g. Oppo BDP-83, 93) could theorectically do better but the difference may not be noticeable by you especially if you have a relatively small screen (say <60") watching from > 10'. A stand alone player may also run quieter and faster. Some PS3's fans are quite loud.

MrRipfrog

MrRipfrog

Audiophyte
LOL... Thanks!

First of all your post isn't all that relative to MrRipFrog's thread so next time start your own instead of hijacking someone else's ;)
So I did a little more testing. I hit the select button as you described and this is what I found:

TOP GUN - 6.1

Bitstream - DTS Multi-Channel 48 kHz 1.5 Mbps AVC (28-33 Mbps)
Linear PCM - DTS-HDMA 6.1 Ch 48 kHz (5.8-6.3 Mbps) AVC (28-36Mbps)

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST - 7.1

Bitstream - DTS Multi-Channel 48 kHz 1.5 Mbps AVC (22-28 Mbps)
Linear PCM - DTS-HDMA 7.1 Ch 48kHz (4.8-6 Mbps) AVC (24-26 Mbps)

** The numbers in the brackets () would vary between the two.

What is odd though is when I select Bitstream, the volume is actually louder without physically turning up the volume, which is why I was suspect that it was higher quality. I also read somewhere that audio sticklers preferred Bitstream to PCM. I will say though that the system does sound very good!

And this shows that you are definitely correct! :) I will keep the PS3's setting at Linear PCM. I have turned off some of the other options to let the receiver (Marvell advanced Qdeo video processing) do some of the work. No glitches so far!

Now it's on to tinkering and fine tuning the receiver.

Thanks again for all the feedback! Please don't hesitate to offer any more advice.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis