playing sound off computer through AVR

C

cantonguy

Junior Audioholic
I want to be able to play music I have on my computer through my stereo. I also want to have be high quality. I think there are programs and equipment out there that can convert MP3's to lossless. I also want to be able to rip my cd's on to my computer and convert them to lossles... How would I go about doing this? What equipment, cables, and software do I need? Is it even possible. Again I want it to be lossless audio if possible. I have my equipment listed below. I have read the forums but there is so much information to wade through and I have not found anything that completely answers my question.

Yamaha RX-V467
PS3
Canton Speakers 5.1
Toshiba Satellite Computer

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Converting MP3s or any other lossy compression audio file to a lossless format does nothing. Once the codec removes parts of the sound it thinks you wouldn't hear it is gone forever. When you convert it to a lossless format, it is still the same audio just in a different form and nothing that was removed from the original can be put back.

There are many programs available for playing music in various formats: Windows Media Player, WinAmp, iTunes, etc. Many of them can also rip CDs. If your computer is connected to a receiver you can play any files on the computer and have the audio sent to the receiver.

If you want lossless audio, when you rip the CD either save the file in WAV or AIFF (if on a Mac) or use a lossless compression codec like FLAC, WMA lossless, Apple Lossless, etc. The lossless compression algorithms will cut the file size in half but of course you need a music player that recognizes the format so it can decode it to PCM.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
As MDS said, transcoding from lossy files is a big no-no.

For ripping, eac is my preferred tool, although there are plenty of options out there. Here's a handy guide for configuring it: http://blowfish.be/eac/

C

cantonguy

Junior Audioholic
OK, can i download lossless music off of I-tunes and play it through my AVR? What is the best way to connect my computer to my AVR. Obviuously I know nothinh here. I see all kind of different products but have no idea what to buy.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
What's the model of your "Toshiba Satellite Computer" ?
Most likely the only audio out you have right now is headphones out and it's something I'd strongly discourage you from using if you are looking for hifi sound.

You'd want to get some sort of usb external audio card with coax/optical spd/if digital audio out port on it like Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro.
Or go low-budget like turtle beach:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829118007&cm_re=turtle_beach_usb-_-29-118-007-_-Product

Omega Supreme

Omega Supreme

Audioholic
See if your laptop has a S/PDIF jack. Check your manual or go to your sound devices and see if it shows up. If it does (my Toshiba does) the you will need the following http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002MQGRM/ref=pd_cp_e_3/002-2113702-0756041?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_r=18ETBBS6SQ9HAH31CSW2&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=250314601&pf_rd_i=B00003CWAA along with an toslink cable. Plug the adaptor into the 1/8" port on your laptop and then connect the toslink to the reciever. You may have to go into your laptop and set the SPDIF out as "default". This is how I connect my laptop to my receiver and it works great.

C

cantonguy

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the advice guys.

My Computer is a Toshiba Satellite A505 S6005 and I don't think I have an S/PDIF.

1.)I'm so ignorant when it comes to this I don't even know where to start... do I get apple lossless first? How do I even get it?

If I buy this soudblaster PRO soundcard, I use it in conjunction with Apple Lossless right? Anything else I need.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis