Placing Subs in an enclosure?

A

Aliixer

Audioholic
DIY av cabinet.

I have built a custom enclosure from solid oak for my electronic equipment. The main and center channel speakers are also built in. The speakers are insulated with dynamat within the enclosure.

my question lies with the subs(B&W ASW675 X2), can they also be included in the enclosure without rattling the electronics to pieces?The unit is eight feet in length and 1.65 feet in depth and is about 1/2 inch thick shelving, with a hefty base. It weighs about 250-300 lbs.
Tell me what you think?Equipment list:

1. Yamaha RXZ9 receiver
2. yamaha S796 DVD player
3. Monster HTS3500mkII powercenter
4. Sony SACD 300ES 5 disc changer
5. B&O beocord tape player
6. B&W DM602s2 bookshelve speakers
7. B&W LCR600 center channel
8. B&W ASW675 10" subwooferx2
9. Energy presence speakers 5.1

Attachments

Last edited:
B

bigdaddy0130

Enthusiast
like the rack, did you build it. where did you get that from?;):D

B

bigdaddy0130

Enthusiast
did not read your page, very nice diy, i wish i had that type of skill:D:D

Lightning Steve

Lightning Steve

Audioholic
Nice job!
Don't know about putting the subs in there and not getting vibration! Would think it would have to be pretty elaborate, spring or fluid dampening feet?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Try it and see

Try it. If you feel significant vibration transmitted to your cabinet work, I would come up with another plan.

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

In my old house, I placed a MK-MX 200 in a cab and it didn't do so well. Try it, but mileage my vary.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Great response time, guys. Only 3 years and 2 months, eh?

-Chris

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Great response time, guys. Only 3 years and 2 months, eh?

-Chris
I bet he waited that long before making the move; he wouldnt try it with out our permission!

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I'm sure this is a dead topic, since the thread is so old, but I'm just wondering why he's so concerned with putting a sub in a cabinet when he's got his mains and center to the right of the TV?!?!?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
They say only sealed and front ported speakers can go in a cabinet.

However, I've hear rear ported subs in cabinets and everything sounded fine.

Old thread bumping FTL.

SheepStar

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Now that I think about it my center is rear ported and in a cabinet. Maybe I should stuff a sock in it and see if it changes the sound.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
No speaker of any real size should be placed in an enclosure or a cubby hole in the wall. This goes the same for in wall speakers. It really compromises the sound and makes it almost impossible to tune the sound. Bass frequencies are the most affected.

Only small bookshelf or satellite speakers should ever be considered for placement in an enclosure.

This is one of the most frequent mistakes I see when people build a home theater. They are so concerned with looks and never consider the acoustical consequences.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

No speaker of any real size should be placed in an enclosure or a cubby hole in the wall. This goes the same for in wall speakers. It really compromises the sound and makes it almost impossible to tune the sound. Bass frequencies are the most affected.

Only small bookshelf or satellite speakers should ever be considered for placement in an enclosure.

This is one of the most frequent mistakes I see when people build a home theater. They are so concerned with looks and never consider the acoustical consequences.
Unless you design and build the speaker for that purpose.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Unless you design and build the speaker for that purpose.
Even when you design a speaker or subwoofer specifically for placement within a wall, you really are stuck with your decision of where it is placed. There is really no means to accurately test its location or interaction with the room or the other elements of the system. This process with convential speakers is time consuming and requires a lot of experimentation before a system will sound its best. The in wall solution will probably never get there even if you assume that the enclosure is perfect.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Even when you design a speaker or subwoofer specifically for placement within a wall, you really are stuck with your decision of where it is placed. There is really no means to accurately test its location or interaction with the room or the other elements of the system. This process with convential speakers is time consuming and requires a lot of experimentation before a system will sound its best. The in wall solution will probably never get there even if you assume that the enclosure is perfect.
Not so if your cunning. You can use many improbable situations to your advantage if have the skill and experience. There are a lot of ways of skinning the cat, and even a diversity of opinion about narrow front/wide front speakers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis