Placement driving me crazy...

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
OK, so today we took down the xmass tree and my listening room is back in order, BUT I can't get it rite, I had the floor marked with blue tape but its been vacuumed up by the wife...

It took me a long time to get them rite... and now I can't get it back, 3 hours in as of 9pm... I am listening to Fiona {where she talks before each track}, she is coming out HEAVY on the right side, and not mixing, usually you can not place the speaker, now it seems like you can only hear the right side... Normally the voice is coming rite down the center like shes standing in front of you... Now its all right side ....

I am going to play with it for another hour, if I can't get it rite I am going to run them through the wood chipper and order phil 3's with custom subs...

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I am going to play with it for another hour, if I can't get it rite I am going to run them through the wood chipper and order phil 3's with custom subs...
You have already made that decision.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I figured it out, I have a head cold and my left ear is blocked up... I'm not very bright.. I had my brother come over and he was like "what are you talking about its balanced fine"... then we switched speakers, sides plugs cables, ect and my wife said "its probably because your ears are blocked up... ooops

bears_t2

bears_t2

Junior Audioholic
If you still decide to go the chipper route you could send me that stuff.. BEFORE it goes in the chipper that is LOL

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Instead of relying only on pieces of tape on the floor, measure how far your speakers are from the side and back walls, and write it down ;).

Before you order any subwoofers, first listen to those Phil 3s alone in your room. They really can go as low as 25 Hz with ease and authority, in a large room. The transmission line bass cabinets allow a wide variety of room placement options while still producing good bass.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I wrote them down before, but then changed the position and never wrote it down again, its not ideal placement by any means, I have 2 chairs in front of them and a window behind them, no room treatments, ect..

As far as the phil 3's I think they are going to be my next set of towers, just need to get rid of my jade 5s first...

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
As far as the phil 3's I think they are going to be my next set of towers, just need to get rid of my jade 5s first...
If you are serious about that, contact Dennis Murphy soon. Another guy builds and finishes the cabinets, and then Dennis assembles everything himself. There is no inventory of cabinets. Each Phil 3 is a custom build, and there is a long wait. I understand that there will be another cabinet builder in the future, but I don't know when that begins.

I was at his house last week and saw a newly arrived pair of Phil 3 cabinets in Hawaiian makore veneer. Really good looking. Dennis said that veneer cost $500 a sheet :eek:. If two sheets were needed for them, that's more than a pair of the woofers.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I wouldn't be in a huge hurry, Im don't have time to list the jades on ebay rite now and I know if they are still here when the phils come Ill never get rid of them, I have 20+ pairs of bookshelfs to prove that..

DannyA

DannyA

Audioholic
I figured it out, I have a head cold and my left ear is blocked up... I'm not very bright.. I had my brother come over and he was like "what are you talking about its balanced fine"... then we switched speakers, sides plugs cables, ect and my wife said "its probably because your ears are blocked up... ooops
My wife is not so gentle when I do something "not very bright". She would probably say "I have a block between my ears". ;)

Pioneer PDP-5020FD
Yamaha RX-V3800
Samsung BD-F5700 Blu-ray Player
Sony - PS3
Definitive Technology BP7006 Mains
Definitive Technology CS-8060 HD Center
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 1000 Surround
Power Sound Audio XS 15 Subwoofer

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
OK, so today we took down the xmass tree and my listening room is back in order, BUT I can't get it rite, I had the floor marked with blue tape but its been vacuumed up by the wife ...
I'm laughing my a$$ off. That's something my wife would do and still find a reason, of why it was my fault. Thanks. :D

Sorry to sidetrack the thread.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
My sinuses are clearing up and the system is sounding rite again, I think when I get it all dialed in again, I will write down all the measurements, even the couch since I think that is what messed everything up, I moved the couch in towards the speakers more than usual. I'm listening tonight NO TV, Im doing a Beatles and Lennon Marathon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCX3ZNDZAwY

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
OK, so today we took down the xmass tree and my listening room is back in order, BUT I can't get it rite, I had the floor marked with blue tape but its been vacuumed up by the wife...
Fun read. I suppose your speaker placement was within only a few inches of the original setup. Now, would a couple inches really make that much difference? (My wife would say...)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis