A

afheadhunter

Audiophyte
I have had a JVC DVD/Surround sound receiver for a couple of years now that finally crapped out. I am going to upgrade to receiver within the next couple of days. I have found the Pioneer VSX 915S for a decent price. Just curious how it compare to the 815 that everyone on here seems to love. Is it a worthwhile upgrade? The reason I ask is the 915 was cheaper than the 815. Thanks for your help.

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
They are pretty much the same. They have the same owners manual even. They only real difference I can see is that the 915 has composite to s-video upconversion(it still has 3 component video inputs, but no component video upconversion). Also, it puts out between 10 and 20 watts per channel more (10 watts surround channels and 20 watts stereo channels) power.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Well the differences are that the 915 adds.

S-Video upconversion
adds 10 more watts per channel (110x7)
Adds a learning remote over a preprogrammed remote

So if you can get it cheaper than it would be a step up......

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
afheadhunter said:
I have had a JVC DVD/Surround sound receiver for a couple of years now that finally crapped out. I am going to upgrade to receiver within the next couple of days. I have found the Pioneer VSX 915S for a decent price. Just curious how it compare to the 815 that everyone on here seems to love. Is it a worthwhile upgrade? The reason I ask is the 915 was cheaper than the 815. Thanks for your help.
AF,

Welcome to the forum. Out of curiosity, is the 1015 even less? :) Most of us here love that unit, so if it's not too far out of your range, the 1015 is a beast of a receiver for the money. If it is too much out of line, go for the 915.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
I will second the 1015. Now wheres Spiffy..... (You would be talking to 2 owners of the 1015)

A

afheadhunter

Audiophyte
Pioneer 915 to 1015

Oddly enough, the 1015 is not offered where I am looking to purchase from. I am in the Air Force (hence the screename) and I can buy either the 915 for $250.00 and the 815 for $279.00. What makes it nice to buy from here is there is no shipping costs or tax. However, as the 915 appears to be on backorder with no immediate change in status, I believe I am going to go ahead with the 815. This price seems fairly comparable to what I am seeing everywhere else online and of course forget about BB or CC.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
The 915 for 250.00 shipped I would certainly hold off on the 815 for 279.00
Maybe call the company and see whats the deal..........

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
brian32672 said:
The 915 for 250.00 shipped I would certainly hold off on the 815 for 279.00
Maybe call the company and see whats the deal..........
Wow, amazing price for the 915 I would def. place the order and wait for that one, thats a good price even for the 815 which is a lesser model.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis