pioneer vsx -60 pre-outs

S

seomarket

Enthusiast
Hey guys I have the pioneer vsx-1028 but it is exactly the same as the vsx - 60

I am currently upgrading my front L R channels with some high end speakers either the imagine t or kef R300 or R500 and leaving my center and surrounds which are infinity primus line. I would like to eventually use the zone 2 pre-outs to power a seperate amp to properly power the front speakers. Can this be done to drive all 5 speakers at the same time using using a digital source (HDMI) with the vsx 60 to power the center and surrounds and the new amp to drive the towers?

Or will i need to change out my HT reciever?

Thanks!

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
It won't work, you are going to get a stereo signal through zone2 not a 5.1 front left and right.... {If I understand correctly what you are trying to do...}

One note for you, I would not use the infinity primus center with the other speakers, you do not want to mix your front sound stage...
Just an idea, if you are upgrading your front soundstage, why not buy something more efficient so your 1028's power goes further? And I like to run bookshelfs for my HT fronts since you are crossing them to a sub anyway, you can get a much nicer set of bookshelfs for less money than towers cost...

S

seomarket

Enthusiast
Well basically i want to be able to run the zone 2 pre-outs to power the L and R, and the other 3 channels on the reciever (center and surrounds) at the same time so I get 5.1 and 2 amps powering it all. Yes I would love to upgrade the center down the road when the budget affords it :)

S

seomarket

Enthusiast
And well I did look at tekton and klipsch for high sensivity speakers but they went what I was looking for.
Also the psb imagine t I can get for $1000 which is half off retail. The money saved I could put into a 2 channel amp to.power.it and have something spectacular I just don't know if I can do it.to run 5.1

S

seomarket

Enthusiast
OK i think i just found the answer which is YES. Below is from their online manual, which suggests one of the ways to ONLY use the additional amplifier to play music, is to unplug the speaker wire of the remaining speakers. I wasnt sure if running a separate amp would be like running a zone 2, where you would either switch between the speakers between zone 1 and zone 2, which would suck :)

Connecting additional amplifiers

This receiver has more than enough power for any home use, but it’s possible to add additional amplifiers to the subwoofer channel of your system using the pre-outs. With the VSX-1128, an amplifier can also be added to the front channel. To add amplifiers, connect as described below.

If you’re not using a subwoofer, change the front speaker setting (see Speaker Setting) to LARGE.

If you have two subwoofers, the second subwoofer can be connected to the SUBWOOFER 2 terminal. Connecting two subwoofers increases the bass sound to achieve more powerful sound reproduction. In this case, the same sound is output from the two subwoofers.

To hear sound only from the pre-outs, switch the speaker terminals to SP: OFF () or simply disconnect any speakers that are connected directly to the receiver.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It really doesn't matter if you can or can't do it, biamping off a receiver is a waste of time.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Read that manual carefully. If THIS is your rear panel, and this operates like most other receivers I've encountered, that "pre-out" you're seeing is for zone two use and it only passes a two channel stereo (Not the right and left of a surround sound array) and, even then, only from an analog source.

But, I could always be wrong. Just double check your manual.

S

seomarket

Enthusiast
It really doesn't matter if you can or can't do it, biamping off a receiver is a waste of time.
Not bi amping.
I would like to bypass the front left right channel of my avr and use the pre outs to send a signal to another amp that has more power to power the front left right channel.

S

seomarket

Enthusiast
Read that manual carefully. If THIS is your rear panel, and this operates like most other receivers I've encountered, that "pre-out" you're seeing is for zone two use and it only passes a two channel stereo (Not the right and left of a surround sound array) and, even then, only from an analog source.

But, I could always be wrong. Just double check your manual.
Hi yea that is the back. I know running zone 2 shuts the other channels down and only runs analog signal. I was hoping the preouts would be a different story.

The page of the manual I posted above. It doesn't say to turn zone 2 on to send the signal to the amp. That last line about having to disconnect the other speakers to only hear the new amp leads me to believe I can run both the amp and the reciever at the same time.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
If that's your back panel, then you don't have "pre outs", just zone two outputs.

Again, this just goes to show that we can explain it to you but we can't understand it for you.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If that's your back panel, then you don't have "pre outs", just zone two outputs.

Again, this just goes to show that we can explain it to you but we can't understand it for you.
Note also that zone 2 is generally not bass managed; meaning the signal is full range and the bass is not redirected to the sub. While I do think what you're asking will work to some extent, I think getting a receiver with preamp outs at least for the mains is a better plan.

S

seomarket

Enthusiast
OK well i was able to return it and I got a Pioneer SC 1227 for the same price! Full set of preouts and class D 125 RMS a channel. Much better for sure.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis