Pioneer VSX-520-K 5.1

M

madatgravity47

Audiophyte
hello. I bought a Pioneer VSX-520-K 5.1 awhile ago and coupled it with a pair of cheap Coby CSP96 300-Watt 5.1-Channel surround sound speakers. The speakers sound very nice. But when i went to hook up the subwoofer i had no idea where to plug it in at. The reciever has a subwoofer out but the subwoofer has a red/white cable (completely new to surround sound and cable lingo sorry) going into it. so i'm not really sure how to complete the instal of the sub. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks! have a great day!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
That receiver expects to see a powered subwoofer, or one with a built in amplifier. It would have an RCA jack as an input, just like the kjack on your receiver.

Unfortunately. that Coby subwoofer does not have a built-in amplifier, It was probably part of an amll-in-one box unit that had all it's electronics in the same unit as the DVD player. It won't work with your new receiver.

It's not worth trying to jury-rig an amp for the subwoofer you currently have but workable subwoofers can be had for around $100 or so. Check out Polk Subwoofers on Amazon, and there are others as well. This is just the first one that comes to mind.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis