Pioneer VSX-1020K speaker impedance????

M

mcklinjw

Audiophyte
Came across a great deal on some speakers. They are 5ohm. Supposedly my receiver is only rated to 6ohms. Can anyone tell me that they have used speakers less than 6ohms with this receiver and safely?!?!?!? I really would like to get the speakers but obviously don't want to damage the electronics.
Thanks for any input,
Jerry

I tried posting link for manual, but since I'm a Noob here it wouldn't let me. LOL

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Came across a great deal on some speakers. They are 5ohm. Supposedly my receiver is only rated to 6ohms. Can anyone tell me that they have used speakers less than 6ohms with this receiver and safely?!?!?!? I really would like to get the speakers but obviously don't want to damage the electronics.
Thanks for any input,
Jerry

I tried posting link for manual, but since I'm a Noob here it wouldn't let me. LOL
The real issue is what are the speakers?

A manufacturer's impedance specks are pretty much worthless as a rule. Most speakers rated at 8 ohms are in fact four ohms or less as a rule.

The problem comes because impedance is all over the map varying with frequency, so a manufacturer can pick any point on the curve he likes.

Then you have the issue of the phase angle between voltage and current, which can make an amp see a lower impedance than measured.

Your receiver is a low priced one, so your best bet is to keep the volume down no matter what speakers you have.

If you don't push a receiver hard, then speaker impedance is usually not an issue.

If you want loud, then buy a big powerful amp.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks for any input,
Jerry

Where did the 5 Ohm number come from? If you used a multi-meter to measure them, that's the DC resistance, not the impedance.

The manual shows "Guaranteed speaker impedance
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16Ω to 8Ω,
less than 8Ω to 6Ω (setting required)
* Measured pursuant to the Federal Trade Commission’s
Trade Regulation rule on Power Output Claims for Amplifiers
** Measured by Audio Spectrum Analyze"

Read the manual for information about the impedance setting

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You might get some more useful information if you told us what speakers you have. I doubt anyone will be tempted to steal them from you.

M

mcklinjw

Audiophyte
Sorry for the vagueness about the speakers. Wasn't deliberate. They are Martin Logan LX16's. I took the chance and bought them anyway. The owners manual actually states that they are compatible with just about anything(4,6 or 8 ohm amplifiers).They are on sale from Crutchfield for $239. I did my research and supposedly they are very similar to the Motion 15's. Went to my local Best Buy and they carry the Motion 15 which I was impressed with. Decided to try them out as a front channel and maybe pick up some Motion 4's for rears later.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis