F

fourwheels0

Audioholic Intern
i'm looking for opinions on the pioneer sx-950. i just got one and would like to know how people like them.thanks.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
If it is in good condition, it is a fine receiver. I have three old Pioneer units, the SX-1250, SX-450, and SX-780. The SX-780 is the immediate replacement for the SX-750. Yours is better than two of mine (assuming yours is in good condition). Those old units have good tuners in them, which are better than almost anything made these days. I also rather like the styling of the SX-*50 series, which is elegant and clear. It is very easy to see how the controls are set, unlike modern receivers that require one to scroll through a complicated on screen display to see how things are set. And they are very solidly constructed, which is nice (though irrelevant to sound quality).

Frankly, if surround sound did not exist, I would never have "upgraded" from the Pioneer SX-1250 that I have. The Pioneer SX-1250 sits in my living room for stereo music listening, and my surround receiver is in my home theater room. I do not plan on ever parting with my Pioneer SX-1250; I have never owned anything with a better tuner, including the separate tuners I have owned. (The Pioneer SX-1250 does not have the best tuner ever made, but it is not too far from the best ever made.) And it is easy to use, and looks good for the living room, unlike the black box I have in my home theater room. (For a black box, my Yamaha RX-V2700 looks good, but it cannot compare for beauty with those old Pioneer units. Of course, I do not have the surround receiver for how it looks.)

If you ever have problems with "crackling" sounds from adjusting the volume (or any other control), you can spray it out with DeoxIt. In fact, if it has not been serviced recently, it is not a bad idea to spray out all of the controls, if you are a little bit "handy".

You will find many admirers of those old units at:

http://www.audiokarma.org/

You might even be able to download an owner's manual for your unit, if you join them. I do not know if they have your particular owner's manual in pdf form, but they used to have quite a few old Pioneer manuals available as free downloads.

F

fourwheels0

Audioholic Intern
pyrrho thanks. yes i've deoxit everything and it sounds good. now i just need to find a good way of cleaning the faceplate and knobs. they have dark brown crap on them (like years of smoke maybe). won't come off with windex ect. any idea's?.

J

jason99999

Audiophyte
pioneer sx 950 cleaning

I bought a pioneer SX 950 receiver from a flea market about a month ago.i only paid 30 dollars for it.Th guy who sold it to me was a complete moron.lol.it basically needed some cleaning and a full sound test. everything worked great.with an exception of a little crackling when i turned up the volume.i have noticed that after reading this forum ,i may use that spray to fix it.anyway,i have found that a 90% solution of isopropyl alcohol does an excellent job with the metal parts that where dirty and in need of cleaning.the cabinet was wiped down with furniture polish and i then applied a light coating of 3 in 1 oil for the metal.all these things worked excellent in bringing back the life and looks to this fine piece of vintage equipment.

R

Roamingsoldier

Audiophyte
I bought my SX-950 in 1999. I used it in college, it took a quite a beating.
Nothing sounds so rich and warm, I love it.

P

Pug-Tronic

Audiophyte
If it is in good condition, it is a fine receiver. I have three old Pioneer units, the SX-1250, SX-450, and SX-780. The SX-780 is the immediate replacement for the SX-750. Yours is better than two of mine (assuming yours is in good condition). Those old units have good tuners in them, which are better than almost anything made these days. I also rather like the styling of the SX-*50 series, which is elegant and clear. It is very easy to see how the controls are set, unlike modern receivers that require one to scroll through a complicated on screen display to see how things are set. And they are very solidly constructed, which is nice (though irrelevant to sound quality).

Frankly, if surround sound did not exist, I would never have "upgraded" from the Pioneer SX-1250 that I have. The Pioneer SX-1250 sits in my living room for stereo music listening, and my surround receiver is in my home theater room. I do not plan on ever parting with my Pioneer SX-1250; I have never owned anything with a better tuner, including the separate tuners I have owned. (The Pioneer SX-1250 does not have the best tuner ever made, but it is not too far from the best ever made.) And it is easy to use, and looks good for the living room, unlike the black box I have in my home theater room. (For a black box, my Yamaha RX-V2700 looks good, but it cannot compare for beauty with those old Pioneer units. Of course, I do not have the surround receiver for how it looks.)

If you ever have problems with "crackling" sounds from adjusting the volume (or any other control), you can spray it out with DeoxIt. In fact, if it has not been serviced recently, it is not a bad idea to spray out all of the controls, if you are a little bit "handy".

You will find many admirers of those old units at:

http://www.audiokarma.org/

You might even be able to download an owner's manual for your unit, if you join them. I do not know if they have your particular owner's manual in pdf form, but they used to have quite a few old Pioneer manuals available as free downloads.
Yup a b- u- tifull rcvr. Picked it up last year along w SX850 and an SX750 already had the SX650 I got at a church thriftshop, liked it so.much I got into collecting. A KR6600 is a fine piece as well.
Into classical Chopin n Beethoven love Piano. This rcvr w SG9500 and CV- SL-15 makes a damn good system.
Stuff today all black, push button tuning no variable capacitor. All the metal half moon plates that move in an out of similar plates.
Vintage stereo buying records keeping em clean mkg custom tapes...awesome hobby.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis