Z

zer0end

Enthusiast
Hey guys,

I recently purchased the Pioneer SP-PK52FS(minus the subwoofer), and would like any suggestions on receivers to group them with. The current receiver that i am using these speakers with is the Onkyo RC160. I get the impression that this receiver isn't bringing the full potential out on these speakers, and any ideas for an alternative would be appreciated. Thanks.

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
What's your budget?

Do you already have a sub, or did you pick up a different brand?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
It's not a question of which receiver to use. No particular receive will make them sound good or bad.

It's more a question of how much power to feed them and for that you need look beyond the spec sheets. Lile all small drivers in a fairly inefficient arrangement, they thrive on power. The more the better but even that depends on how big the room is, what type of music you listen to and, most importantly, how loud you listen.

Common sense and your ears must be constantly vigilant. While the maxium power rating can effectively be ignored, when you hear something straining, you should turn it down immediately. Something is being overdriven.

That's it in a a nutshell. if you want a more in-depth answer, its availeble here in these two articles, Part 1 and Part 2

Z

zer0end

Enthusiast
On another note: My room size is small to medium(Everything is in a bedroom, but it's a fairly large bedroom, not sure of dimensions), and i tend to listen to movies/music on a fairly loud level. lol

Z

zer0end

Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply. I'll look into the denon. Are there any sound quality differences that you have found between onkyo and denon receivers?

Daniel Fletcher

Daniel Fletcher

Audiophyte
What makes you think that the Onkyo RC160 isn't bringing the full potential out of your Pioneer speakers?

Z

zer0end

Enthusiast
Sometimes it sounds like i am under powering the speakers somewhat. I bought the RC160 refurbished a couple years ago, and i thought that since i bought new speakers, that i should get a better amp to power them.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Sometimes it sounds like i am under powering the speakers somewhat.
That's a power issue, not a brand issue. You can learn a lot here if you only listen to what's being said instead of fishing for what you want to hear.

PS. Those little speakers aren't really meant to do very loud, no matter how much power you feed them.

Last edited:
J

johnscare84

Audiophyte
Hi I am new to the forum and just recently bought the Pioneer SP-PK52FS 5.1 system but I am still undecided about what receiver to buy. I narrowed it down to the denon AVR-2113 or the avr-1713. Would I see a difference in sound quality from buying the 2113 over the 1713 with these speakers? Also I am not planing to update to a 7.1 system, and I don't care about upscaling since every thing i run is at 1080p, nor do i care about 4k. I only care about sound quality. I will only have the receiver connected to my htpc via hdmi mostly for blu-ray, and some music once in a while. I know the 2113 has 95 wpc compared to 80 wpc from the 1713, will I be able to hear a difference with that? I do like to hear my blu-rays loud so I am not sure if the 1713 will be powerful enough. The room size is 18x12

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You won't hear an appreciable difference between the 1713's 80 watts and the 2113's 95 watts. Most listening is done with only a handful of watts and the maximum power is only required on very brief peaks.

And, in any case, you would need double the power, or 160 watts, to realize a barely discernible 3 decibels of increase of loudness on those peaks. If you wanted to double the power, you would need ten times the power, or 800 watts.

If you want a bit more detail than this cliffs notes version, click on this link.

If you want te 2113, but it for te features it has that you need that the 1713 lacks, not for the 15 watts.

Also, keep in mind that those Pioneers are fine little speakers for the price and when used within their limits but they are not gonna fill a large room with tons of clean, loud sound. They might get loud for a while, but they may not be clean. Check their power handling ratings.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis