Pioneer SP-PK52FS 5.1 Speaker System Review

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks Dennis, I was mainly interested in the tweeter fitment is all.

What do you think about sound quality between the two?
I haven't heard those particular Bostons, but I do like the sound of all of the ones I've heard from them.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
I have a friend looking at a 5 channels system....he already has an HSU sub. I am between recommending the Pioneer system in this thead an the Boston Accoustic A250 tower that is on sale from A4Less in the white finish. He would do 4 towers with a matching center channel. So the BA system is about $450 and the Pioneer will be closer to $400.

What do you you guys think.....I am leaning toward the BA system....I have always liked their sound in previous years. Never hear the Pioneers and the finish looks a little cheap, but maybe that is just the picture on the internet.....

Thanks

Jeff

My final choice for speakers was really between the Pioneers and the Bostons. I ended up choosing the Pioneers because I was able to demo them rather easily, plus the Boston's were simply not on sale for the price they are now.

The issue with the Boston system is the center costs much more than the Pioneer center, plus I haven't seen the Boston center in white to match the towers.

I can say I've had the Pioneers for about two months now and the sound has only gotten better over time.

In the end I really don't think you can go wrong with either system especially at their current prices.

D

DundeeScot78

Enthusiast
Have you heard the BA's? I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. Not because I've heard them, but because I checked Amazon, A4L, Tiger Direct, Crutchfield, and Newegg, and can't find a review for them. The Pioneers are a known quantity, but the BA's DEFINITELY are not. BTW, I have the Pioneers, and couldn't be more impressed, although this is only day 4 with them.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Have you heard the BA's? I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. Not because I've heard them, but because I checked Amazon, A4L, Tiger Direct, Crutchfield, and Newegg, and can't find a review for them. The Pioneers are a known quantity, but the BA's DEFINITELY are not. BTW, I have the Pioneers, and couldn't be more impressed, although this is only day 4 with them.
Boston Acoustics is a solid brand. Lack of reviews doesn't mean much, because there are plenty of things out there with reviews from people who have no clue what they are talking about. Could also mean they are a new line because I can't tell when they were released. I would not use that as a yardstick - only a listen in person.

That said, the Pioneers are definitely a known factor.

J

jm78

Junior Audioholic
I would only consider the BA's if I could listen to them first. Or if I couldn't listen to pioneers too, then just flip a coin. Honestly, I don't think I would have believed any of the hype on the pioneers if I didn't listen to them first. Me personally, I need to hear the speakers before anybody gets my money, new or used.

As there are more positive reviews for the pioneers, the risk is reduced that your friend might like the pioneers more. I haven't heard any people saying they hate them. But really, your friend needs to listen to some speakers to find what he likes. If he isn't picky, then the pioneers get my recommendation, because I have them and think they are great value. I have not listened to the BA.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
I have heard good things about the A series of Boston speakers. I know there is a lack of reviews, but even some people around here have had good things to say about the A series. Plus the deal at A4L is so much better than anywhere else it really has me scratching my head. However, I do agree that a listen is pretty much a requirement, and since Best Buy price matches online retailers, you can even do a risk free 30 day in home trial on the Pioneers. If after 30 days you think you can do better they will take them back for an exchange or cash back with no restocking fee.

J

jm78

Junior Audioholic
If you are that curious about BA speakers, then you just have to take the risk if not listening. Nothing much else to say. I spent so much time looking for klipsch reviews, thinking I want that dynamic sound, so many people love it for home theater. I wanted klipsch reference speakers for about two years now. Then I listened for two minutes and the treble pierced my dome to where I don't even think about getting them anymore. Saved myself money and the hassle of returns/reselling by taking a little time to listen.

Why not just go take some time and go listen to some speakers with your friend? Well, unless you are trying to give a surprise gift. You either pay up and risk the hassle or go listen. Do not trust reviews, it can help reduce risk but it doesn't guarantee you or your friend will like the speakers. Everybody has different listening requirements, rooms, and tastes.

B

BORN SAMSON

Audiophyte
I have the first generation sp-pk51fs but with the SP-BS41 as surrounds (5 speakers $285) and 2 subs (acoustic audio RW-SUB12 $270)......but I hooked my friend up with these..they're great speakers and they improved the tweeters.THESE ARE THE BEST ENTRY LEVEL SPEAKERS ON THE MARKET

xego

xego

Junior Audioholic
I Just brougtht the SP-FS52's and the C22 (which isn't hooked up yet) and hooked them up to my Denon avr-1910. I didn't seem to have any trouble at first, listened to Cd's and blu's at non-peak volumes, then this morning the reciever would repeatedly go into power protection mode? or aka shut itself off and flash a little red light mode...this was weather I was in stereo or 5.1 , and the connections at the back of the unit hadn't been touched. I sort of got the impression from the review that the 6 ohm wouldn't be an issue, am I simply asking too much of this reciever? if I don't think it should be crapping out at -5 or -6? the speaker wire is 16g monster I believe. any thoughts ? I already got rid of the packing material because I was so sure i would be keeping them...they do indeed sound great ...I am bummed..

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
This definitely sounds like something is amiss. Try running the AVR without any speakers connected. If it still faults, then you have an AVR problem. If not, reconnect the speakers making sure there are no stray strands bridging.

I Just brougtht the SP-FS52's and the C22 (which isn't hooked up yet) and hooked them up to my Denon avr-1910. I didn't seem to have any trouble at first, listened to Cd's and blu's at non-peak volumes, then this morning the reciever would repeatedly go into power protection mode? or aka shut itself off and flash a little red light mode...this was weather I was in stereo or 5.1 , and the connections at the back of the unit hadn't been touched. I sort of got the impression from the review that the 6 ohm wouldn't be an issue, am I simply asking too much of this reciever? if I don't think it should be crapping out at -5 or -6? the speaker wire is 16g monster I believe. any thoughts ? I already got rid of the packing material because I was so sure i would be keeping them...they do indeed sound great ...I am bummed..

xego

xego

Junior Audioholic
thanks for that tip, I will give it a try. Can anyone speak to the power requirements of these speakers, like I said I am using a Denon AVR-1910 (wish now I had spent more and got pre-outs) ...I don't know if this is within the capabilities of the receiver?

xego

xego

Junior Audioholic
Never mind Thanks Marshall G it was as you said sloppy wiring on my part. Once that was fixed I was able to run it up to reference level without a problem..

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

No problem, we've all done it (myself, as recently as the SVS ultra review). Just be thankful for modern avrs that shutdown nicely instead of smoking or blowing your speakers.

Never mind Thanks Marshall G it was as you said sloppy wiring on my part. Once that was fixed I was able to run it up to reference level without a problem..

E

EdOz

Enthusiast
Thanks to all, especially Andrew, for an informative thread.

I've narrowed my speaker choices down to Pioneer - either FS52 or BS22 as front L/R - along with the Pioneer center, BS22 as surrounds and a to-be-determined sub.

I have a Denon 1713 & Epson projector.

My room is small: approx 200 sq ft. The screen's outside dimensions are 44 X 79 inches with the bottom of the screen at 15.5 inches above the floor. (This is an upstairs room in which the walls slant to meet the ceiling which has a smaller footprint than the floor, and the screen fits perfectly within the space along the lower vertical part of the back wall.) The L-shaped "couch" is made of low cushions that are just 14 inches high.

My question: Which combo of speakers would give me the better sound: the FS52's or the BS22 on stands in the front for L/R. The center speaker will sit on a short stand underneath the screen.

I'm an audiophile who prefers balanced top-to-bottom sound (smooth freq response) yet recognizes that the requirements for best movie sound excitement/clarity/etc may not match that for stereo audio-only listening. This system will be used for HT only.

Unfortunately, I don't have a showroom around where I can comparison listen and am having to buy speakers without the benefit of auditioning them first. (For someone who once worked in a high end audio shop and who has always listened before buying, this is a true leap of faith!) Therefore, any feedback as to the differences between/advantages of these speakers will be most welcome.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Unfortunately, I don't have a showroom around where I can comparison listen and am having to buy speakers without the benefit of auditioning them first. (For someone who once worked in a high end audio shop and who has always listened before buying, this is a true leap of faith!) Therefore, any feedback as to the differences between/advantages of these speakers will be most welcome.

You are saying you don't have a Best Buy local? That's where I listened to them both and bought my BS22s. I like the FS52 as well, and IMO, the obvious tradeoffs would be a lot less bass with the BS22 vs FS52, but when coupled with a sub I think the difference is sort of moot except that you could cross the FS52s considerably lower. Based on what I heard, the FS52s will easily get a lot louder if that's important and has a bit more midrange presence due to the additional driver.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Thanks to all, especially Andrew, for an informative thread.

I've narrowed my speaker choices down to Pioneer - either FS52 or BS22 as front L/R - along with the Pioneer center, BS22 as surrounds and a to-be-determined sub.

I have a Denon 1713 & Epson projector.

My room is small: approx 200 sq ft. The screen's outside dimensions are 44 X 79 inches with the bottom of the screen at 15.5 inches above the floor. (This is an upstairs room in which the walls slant to meet the ceiling which has a smaller footprint than the floor, and the screen fits perfectly within the space along the lower vertical part of the back wall.) The L-shaped "couch" is made of low cushions that are just 14 inches high.

My question: Which combo of speakers would give me the better sound: the FS52's or the BS22 on stands in the front for L/R. The center speaker will sit on a short stand underneath the screen.

I'm an audiophile who prefers balanced top-to-bottom sound (smooth freq response) yet recognizes that the requirements for best movie sound excitement/clarity/etc may not match that for stereo audio-only listening. This system will be used for HT only.

I would want the speakers' tweeters at ear level. Given that you are sitting much lower, I would recommend the BS22 on appropriately tall stands is the towers are too tall. Go with basic stands on the cheap (nothing wrong with cinder blocks hidden by fabric, and spend the $$ difference between the bookshelves and towers on a good subwoofer. I'd recommend the SVS 1000 series for $500 for the biggest bang for your buck and a sub that will stick with you as your system grows. If money is tight, the HSU STF-2 at <$400, Bic F-12 $200, The Dayton SUB-1200 at ~$100 are good choices at their respective price points.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The towers are not tall. I thought the FS51s were short until I sat down and the tweeters were only slightly lower than they should be on a typical couch, so the 52s might actually work out well with a lower seating position. The 51s and 52s are nearly the same height.

E

EdOz

Enthusiast
You are saying you don't have a Best Buy local? That's where I listened to them both and bought my BS22s. I like the FS52 as well, and IMO, the obvious tradeoffs would be a lot less bass with the BS22 vs FS52, but when coupled with a sub I think the difference is sort of moot except that you could cross the FS52s considerably lower. Based on what I heard, the FS52s will easily get a lot louder if that's important and has a bit more midrange presence due to the additional driver.
Can you believe that...my BB locals don't have the Pioneers available for demo. I can look at them. I can pick them up from a shelf display. But I can't audition them. Crazy. Whatever happened to specialty salons where the components could be switched in and out for listening and comparison? Sigh...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, that's sort of the way it is today. I wanted to listen to some other speakers at Frys and they did not have them on display either.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Well, from Pioneer:

A Taller Speaker
When we were designing the SP-FS52s, we listened carefully to what users were saying they wanted. As a result, we increased the speaker height by 3 inches. The result is improved sound quality due to the speakers being closer to ear-level.

Whatever your system, or the source of your audio, the SP-FS52 Floor Standing Speakers are ready to bring your listening experience to the next level.

They list the cabinet height at 35", and from the pictures, it looks like the center of the tweeter is at about 31-32". If you're sitting at ear-height lower than 28-30" (an assumption that you're withing 10 feet or so), I'd really consider bookshelves on stands.

'
The towers are not tall. I thought the FS51s were short until I sat down and the tweeters were only slightly lower than they should be on a typical couch, so the 52s might actually work out well with a lower seating position. The 51s and 52s are nearly the same height.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis