Pioneer SP-BS22-LR with Pioneer SX-251R?

E

eleigh

Audiophyte
Here's an easy one:

Got some new bookshelf speakers for Christmas to replace old ones that were stolen.

Great! Except I have no idea what I'm doing.

Can the SX 251R receiver (old receiver I already have) be safely connected to these speakers?

If you want to explain your answer, that would be wonderful; it's probably time I understood more about it.

If not, a simple yes/no that lists the fatal flaw would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you thank you thank you and happy holidays.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Slight impedance mismatch, but there’s no reason why the speakers won’t work with that receiver. Hook ’em up and enjoy!

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

E

eleigh

Audiophyte
Thanks Wayne! I'll connect them up.

Risks of impedance mismatch: mostly bad sound quality?

(unless you ignore that, and continue onto more damaging risks?)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks Wayne! I'll connect them up.

Risks of impedance mismatch: mostly bad sound quality?

(unless you ignore that, and continue onto more damaging risks?)
No, but if you play them very loudly and hear bad distortion, dial down right away or you'll blow speakers and/or amp

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

A little basic amplifier / speaker theory:

Most speakers carry either a nominal 8-ohm or 4-ohm impedance rating.

Amplifiers do, too. A fairly typical impedance rating for amplifiers is 8-ohms. Connecting a 4-ohm load to an amplifier makes it attempt to double its output, so an amplifier that puts out 100 watts at 8-ohms will put out 200 watts at 4-ohms (in theory at least, not necessarily in the real world, but that’s another discussion).

Whether or not doubling the output is a problem depends on the amplifier in question. Many are designed to accommodate 4-ohm loads. Some are even designed to accommodate 2-ohm loads. However, if the amplifier is not designed for such demanding loads, it can be a problem connecting 4- or 2-ohm speakers to them.

Your new speakers carry a somewhat uncommon (but certainly not unheard of) 6-ohm nominal impedance rating. From what I can find, your Pioneer receiver delivers its rated 50-watt per channel output at 8-ohms. Some older stereo receivers could handle 4-ohm speakers with no problem; it’s hard to find anything on line about the specs, for yours but maybe you have a manual for it.

Bottom line, if the receiver is only rated for 8-ohms it should be no problem driving a 6-ohm load, especially if you keep the volume reasonable. If there is a problem, it will only be if you try to drive it to really loud levels for long periods of time. This will make the amp run hotter. The SX-251R probably has internal protection circuitry that will shut it down if it overheats.

So an impedance mismatch isn’t going to affect sound quality. Amps typically only clip if their inputs are overdriven, something that’s virtually impossible to achieve in a receiver, as it’s essentially a “closed system” (meaning the user doesn’t have direct access to the amplifier’s inputs, only the pre-amp inputs). Thus if there is a problem with a lower-than-rated impedance, the amplifier will probably sound fine right up to the point where its protection circuitry shuts it down.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I use my Pioneers with an inexpensive Sherwood receiver with no issues at all. Just make sure your receiver is not getting too hot. Peace and goodwill.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis