Pioneer SC35 - keeps shutting off

R

r_malvia

Audioholic Intern
Hi there all. I have a SC35 that keeps shutting off within 3 seconds. Then I get the blue blinking light on the "Ipod/Iphone" indicator. Been doing a bit of researching on the net and some are saying to reset the system by holding "ENTER" and the "Standby/ON" button. I have done that and nothing. I've also did the amp release procedure for the ICE amp by holding "Down" and "Zone 2 ON/OFF" button. That didn't reset the amp either.

I've had this in for servicing twice last year and the last time Pioneer Canada replaced 4 circuits on it; one being the mainboard. I'm thinking I've got a lemon. It's out of warranty and I don't want to spend $100 sending it out and then getting it diagnosed to find out the amp is toast.

Anyone else encounter this problem? Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi there all. I have a SC35 that keeps shutting off within 3 seconds. Then I get the blue blinking light on the "Ipod/Iphone" indicator. Been doing a bit of researching on the net and some are saying to reset the system by holding "ENTER" and the "Standby/ON" button. I have done that and nothing. I've also did the amp release procedure for the ICE amp by holding "Down" and "Zone 2 ON/OFF" button. That didn't reset the amp either.

I've had this in for servicing twice last year and the last time Pioneer Canada replaced 4 circuits on it; one being the mainboard. I'm thinking I've got a lemon. It's out of warranty and I don't want to spend $100 sending it out and then getting it diagnosed to find out the amp is toast.

Anyone else encounter this problem? Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
As long as you have not abused it, Pioneer owe you a new unit. As long as you have not used unsuitable speakers, then they sold you a unit not fit for purpose. You had a lemon.

Pioneer have a long list of speakers, that they say void the warranty. The problem is they keep it secret. Those Pioneer ice amps do not like difficult speaker loads.

Get hold of Pioneer, they owe you at least an explanation and likely a new receiver.

R

r_malvia

Audioholic Intern
Had a nice long talk with Pioneer yesterday and no dice. Let's say that this will be my last Pioneer product ever. I told them that there's probably less than 250 hours on the receiver since it had the last major overhaul from August 2012. They told me to send it in directly at my cost and they will diagnose it and then let me know the cost of parts and labour. I finally talked him down to a budget cost for the repair. Most likely the amp is toast, it will cost $438 + $135 for labour. I was not happy hearing this!!! What guarantees do I have if this thing decides to go again. I put on an average of 3 - 4 hours on the receiver per week at a volume of -28 db. When it's not in use, it's covered with a dust cover. The thing looks BNIB. The best they would do was to give me 30% off the estimate. Now I'm stuck with a 40lb door stop.

Anyways, picked up a Marantz SR6007. Just did a quick setup with it last night. Sounds much warmer than the SC35. I like the sound of it, but seems too warm/bassy. I haven't properly dialed it in yet. I'll be playing with the settings this weekend.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Had a nice long talk with Pioneer yesterday and no dice. Let's say that this will be my last Pioneer product ever. I told them that there's probably less than 250 hours on the receiver since it had the last major overhaul from August 2012. They told me to send it in directly at my cost and they will diagnose it and then let me know the cost of parts and labour. I finally talked him down to a budget cost for the repair. Most likely the amp is toast, it will cost $438 + $135 for labour. I was not happy hearing this!!! What guarantees do I have if this thing decides to go again. I put on an average of 3 - 4 hours on the receiver per week at a volume of -28 db. When it's not in use, it's covered with a dust cover. The thing looks BNIB. The best they would do was to give me 30% off the estimate. Now I'm stuck with a 40lb door stop.

Anyways, picked up a Marantz SR6007. Just did a quick setup with it last night. Sounds much warmer than the SC35. I like the sound of it, but seems too warm/bassy. I haven't properly dialed it in yet. I'll be playing with the settings this weekend.
You are correct not to put money into that Pioneer. I don't think unless there is a simple fault like a voltage regulator, that modern equipment is serviceable. If there is major trouble, they never seem to be fixed. So if that happens again get a new unit. Unless your unplug your receiver when not is use, (not advised) you should not be putting dust covers over them. There is low but significant power usage in standby and you block the ventilation. This may have been a factor in your problems.

I played with one of those Pioneer Ice amp receivers once and I thought it sounded just awful. So you are well shot of it.

I doubt your Marantz is bassy, but your speaker system/room may well be.

I bought one of my sons a Marantz receiver for Christmas. It is used in 2 channel mode, and is driving a pair of speakers of my design that won the audiophile sound off. The speakers sounded as they should, and although these are medium sized towers with no sub the bass was tight and it will take a really good sub to improve them.

R

r_malvia

Audioholic Intern
You are correct not to put money into that Pioneer. I don't think unless there is a simple fault like a voltage regulator, that modern equipment is serviceable. If there is major trouble, they never seem to be fixed. So if that happens again get a new unit. Unless your unplug your receiver when not is use, (not advised) you should not be putting dust covers over them. There is low but significant power usage in standby and you block the ventilation. This may have been a factor in your problems.

I played with one of those Pioneer Ice amp receivers once and I thought it sounded just awful. So you are well shot of it.

I doubt your Marantz is bassy, but your speaker system/room may well be.

I bought one of my sons a Marantz receiver for Christmas. It is used in 2 channel mode, and is driving a pair of speakers of my design that won the audiophile sound off. The speakers sounded as they should, and although these are medium sized towers with no sub the bass was tight and it will take a really good sub to improve them.
Thanks for the advice on the covers. I always thought it would be good to keep the dust from settling on the circuit boards. Guess I'm wrong about that one. I do find that the Marantz runs just as cool (or hot) as the ICE amp in the Pioneer. I have it in an open air space, so no worries about it overheating.

Yeah, I did a very quick setup last night. I know I need to adjust the settings to my liking. Overall, I'm liking the sound!!! Such a different signature from Pioneer and Yamaha.

T

tedpioneer3

Audiophyte
Thanks for the advice on the covers. I always thought it would be good to keep the dust from settling on the circuit boards. Guess I'm wrong about that one. I do find that the Marantz runs just as cool (or hot) as the ICE amp in the Pioneer. I have it in an open air space, so no worries about it overheating.

Yeah, I did a very quick setup last night. I know I need to adjust the settings to my liking. Overall, I'm liking the sound!!! Such a different signature from Pioneer and Yamaha.

r_malvia, Did you ever determine the issue with your sc35? My sc35 is doing the same thing you describe here and it is off warranty.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

r_malvia, Did you ever determine the issue with your sc35? My sc35 is doing the same thing you describe here and it is off warranty.
Even if he knew the case of his failure, which he does not, it would not necessarily be the cause of your problem. In fact the causes are most likely different. All we can say about the two units, is that they both have excess current draw, triggering the protection circuit. More likely than not the causation for the high current draw is different.

I would replace the receiver and not put money at risk with repair.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Like TLS Guy said, its hard to say if it is the same reason or not and we don't know the cause of earlier case. You are much safer on buying new receiver with warranty as your receiver might be toast.

V

Vitor Almeida

Enthusiast
I had the same problem with my receiver (same brand and similar model (Pioneer LX-73 here in Europe)).
They repaired it (> $350) from a similar problem two years ago. Now I have another problem with it (HDMI out 1 doesn't work) - Repair price above $400. A new digital card from a Web store costs more than $500. Result: I bought a new Marantz 7011!
I am still trying to buy a second hand digital card to repair it myself but it isn´t easy here in Europe! I bought one from US through EBay but they sent me the wrong card. :( They returned the money but ...
Shame to you Pioneer (and other brands) for the bad and very expensive support service and repair material (cards) !!! I need to see near EU consumer protection agency if this is a legal behavior!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I had the same problem with my receiver (same brand and similar model (Pioneer LX-73 here in Europe)).
They repaired it (> $350) from a similar problem two years ago. Now I have another problem with it (HDMI out 1 doesn't work) - Repair price above $400. A new digital card from a Web store costs more than $500. Result: I bought a new Marantz 7011!
I am still trying to buy a second hand digital card to repair it myself but it isn´t easy here in Europe! I bought one from US through EBay but they sent me the wrong card. :( They returned the money but ...
Shame to you Pioneer (and other brands) for the bad and very expensive support service and repair material (cards) !!! I need to see near EU consumer protection agency if this is a legal behavior!
The release date of the Pioneer SC-35 was 2010. For a receiver that is a long time ago. Since then things are getting worse. There are more and more circuits and facilities being crammed into one box, including more power amps.

Receivers at best, unless you are lucky, are about six to seven year wonders now and may be less.

I have never been a receiver fan, and with current trends I'm even less prone to recommend them. I personally would not use them ever in a main installation.

Their attraction is that they are cheap, but I suspect expensive in the long run.

I would advise a pre/pro, with external power amps as a better solution.

Personally I think the pre/pros should also be simplified. No Atmos, and no streaming facilities. They should be very simple devices, just providing, switching, decoding, voltage gain and volume. The we might get back to units that would last 20 the 30 years.

What is at the route cause of your dissatisfaction is the whole absurd receiver concept.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...picked up a Marantz SR6007. Just did a quick setup with it last night. Sounds much warmer than the SC35. I like the sound of it, but seems too warm/bassy...
Should be neutral as long as you use Direct or Pure Direct Mode or use Audyssey BYPASS L/R + Dynamic EQ and turn OFF the Dynamic Volume.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Personally I think the pre/pros should also be simplified. No Atmos, and no streaming facilities. They should be very simple devices, just providing, switching, decoding, voltage gain and volume. The we might get back to units that would last 20 the 30 years.
I once used four Class-A Analog stereo preamps for my 7.1 Setup. 100% simple. Should last 30 years. :D

Parasound Halo also makes a 7.1 Analog Preamp that is also basic and simple.

Last edited:
V

Vitor Almeida

Enthusiast
I agree that the receiver isn't new but they shouldn't have a programmed time life. And they should have replacements cards that do not cost almost more than a new one.
I also think that the AV receivers should be upgradable! New software and/or new board(s) and it should keep working well (like an upgrade of a PC).

I also would like to have separated pre/pros but I don't want to empty more my bank account. I can survive with a receiver like, first, a Sony STR-DB925 (still working in the office room), then a Pioneer LX-73 (SC-35) and, now, the Marantz 7011. After all this time the speakers are the same: B&W, and the TV was upgraded to a LG 65E6V but the old Panasonic plasma is still working. The problematic equipment is the Pioneer!!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I agree that the receiver isn't new but they shouldn't have a programmed time life. And they should have replacements cards that do not cost almost more than a new one.
I also think that the AV receivers should be upgradable! New software and/or new board(s) and it should keep working well (like an upgrade of a PC).

I also would like to have separated pre/pros but I don't want to empty more my bank account. I can survive with a receiver like, first, a Sony STR-DB925 (still working in the office room), then a Pioneer LX-73 (SC-35) and, now, the Marantz 7011. After all this time the speakers are the same: B&W, and the TV was upgraded to a LG 65E6V but the old Panasonic plasma is still working. The problematic equipment is the Pioneer!!
NAD does indeed have modular/upgradeable AVRs, but the problem is that an expansion/upgrade card also costs several hundred dollars, so the value still just is not there.

For an AVR produced in 2010--It is obsolete, get over it. I don't like that state of affairs either, but unfortunately it is the reality. Even if the parts are readily available they are not cheap and even after all that time and $, you are still left with an obsolete AVR.

In my field, once a piece of instrumentation goes End of Life, it is pretty common for the vendor to guarantee support for ~7 years after EOL. Some vendors may say 5 years, some may say 10, but 7 is about average. After that, they will offer "best effort support". And, I can tell you from experience that sometimes that is actually "drag your feet support", to try to push you to the newest offerings.

I'm dealing with a very similar situation at work, an analytical instrument is 10 years old and has started malfunctioning. The board is $10k, just the board no labor or warranty on the instrument is included. An entire replacement instrument is $24k, with a 3 year warranty, but that model is EOL and there are only a handful left on the shelf. After those are sold, I am forced into the new model.

Basically, not my decision to make, I just need to take the info to management and let them tell me how to proceed.

That's just the way the electronics industry works.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If I were buying a new AVR these days, I would wait for Amazon to have their 50% off sale and buy a Denon X4000-series AVR for $699 brand new.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis