Pioneer FS51 vs Aperion Intimus 4T Towers

B

Bulldawg165

Audioholic Intern
I currently have a pair of floorstanding Pioneer FS51's and I'm wanting to upgrade to something a little bit better. I've found a pair of Aperion Intimus 4T towers as well as a matching center channel on the used market that I'm thinking about getting. Their asking price is $475 but they may have wiggle room.

Has anyone heard both of these speakers? How would they compare for two channel music listening? Would it be a significant upgrade that is worth the cost or should I wait and try to spend a bit more for a legitimate, hands down upgrade?

The towers seem to have good reviews online. In case it matters, I will also eventually add a subwoofer to the mix, which will probably be an SVS SB-1000 or 2000.

Thanks guys!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I owned the 51s briefly. I returned them because they're not that great. The 52s are noticeably better IMO. I've not heard the Intimus, but I'd expect them to be an upgrade since even the 52s are.

B

Bulldawg165

Audioholic Intern
I owned the 51s briefly. I returned them because they're not that great. The 52s are noticeably better IMO. I've not heard the Intimus, but I'd expect them to be an upgrade since even the 52s are.
Thanks for the quick response. I'm sure they will be an upgrade, but $475ish worth of an upgrade is the question. If I'm dropping that kind of coin (yes, miniscule compared to others but I'm a noob to this hobby) then I want it to be a very noticeable difference and be something I can be happy with for several years

B

Bulldawg165

Audioholic Intern
Note this subjective review here of the Pioneer FS52 towers, compared to
some Aperion speakers.
Pioneer SP-PK52FS Review - Watch CNET's Video Review - page 2
wow. that's comparing the intimus 4T towers to the newer floorstanding models and not the 51s I have, but it doesn't give me much hope that the 4T's will be a significant upgrade. Thanks for posting that. It'd very helpful but I would've never found it considering it isn't in a review for either of the two models I mentioned.

B

Bulldawg165

Audioholic Intern
Well I actually heard back from Pioneer and they said that the PSB image T65's will be ok with my amp at moderate listening volumes. I can get these used for $700. Think I should do it?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
wow. that's comparing the intimus 4T towers to the newer floorstanding models and not the 51s I have, but it doesn't give me much hope that the 4T's will be a significant upgrade. Thanks for posting that. It'd very helpful but I would've never found it considering it isn't in a review for either of the two models I mentioned.
I recall reading that article some time back too, but forgot about it. Based on that, the 52s would be a better upgrade and would probably cost you similar :)

Sorry, no experience with the PSBs.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Well I actually heard back from Pioneer and they said that the PSB image T65's will be ok with my amp at moderate listening volumes. I can get these used for $700. Think I should do it?
I would audition them first - and see if you like them - then decide.

My upgrade would come in the form of bookshelf speakers, with a subwoofer.

B

Bulldawg165

Audioholic Intern
I recall reading that article some time back too, but forgot about it. Based on that, the 52s would be a better upgrade and would probably cost you similar :)

Sorry, no experience with the PSBs.
Pioneer FS52s would cost about half the price of the used Intimus 4Ts :)

I would audition them first - and see if you like them - then decide.

My upgrade would come in the form of bookshelf speakers, with a subwoofer.
That's what I'd prefer as well but I have a three year old and a bookshelf on a stand is much more likely to be knocked over and ruined than a heavy tower

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Pioneer FS52s would cost about half the price of the used Intimus 4Ts :)
I got my 52s for less than the average price of 22s :) Frys sale. They are certainly better than their price suggests and, in my opinion, a definite improvement over the 51s. Not sure what you're after though, so I'll agree again that auditioning will likely give you a good idea of what price range you're going to be looking at vs. level of performance. Aperion has 30 day in home auditions, so perhaps try a pair of the Intimus bookshelf speakers and get a feel for them? Can you audition the used T65s?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think that would be too much of a lateral move to be worth it. If you want to upgrade, get some speakers that will unquestionably be an upgrade. Otherwise you will just be on the incremental upgrade treadmill which will end up costing a lot more money in the long run. Save up and get some killer speakers that are going to be keepers.

B

Bulldawg165

Audioholic Intern
I think that would be too much of a lateral move to be worth it. If you want to upgrade, get some speakers that will unquestionably be an upgrade. Otherwise you will just be on the incremental upgrade treadmill which will end up costing a lot more money in the long run. Save up and get some killer speakers that are going to be keepers.
Are you talking about the Intimus 4T's or the PSB Image T65's? I figured the T65's would be a substantial upgrade over the Pioneer FS51's I'm currently using

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I was talking about the 4Ts. I would expect the PSBs to be significantly better, but if it were me, I would aim higher still. Save up and get something you couldn't ever see yourself upgrading from is my advice.

B

Bulldawg165

Audioholic Intern
I was talking about the 4Ts. I would expect the PSBs to be significantly better, but if it were me, I would aim higher still. Save up and get something you couldn't ever see yourself upgrading from is my advice.
I see your point. I will definitely upgrade again at some point but when I do these will likely serve man-cave duty and I will buy something with a little more WAF for the living room/common room.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis