Pioneer Elite VSX-45 and VSX 90 AV Receivers Preview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
We were able to get a look at Pioneer’s Elite VSX-45 and VSX-90 receivers today and were pleased with what we saw. With these new receivers being 4k video ready and having networking features like Bluetooth and Wi-Fi as well as interface upgrades they're loaded with features to modernize your home theater. The VSX-90 comes with Dolby Atmos on board for those wanting to dive into the latest immersive surround format for just under $700, though its limited to only two height channels.

Read: Pioneer Elite VSX-45 and VSX 90 AV Receivers Preview

Do you think it's worth having Dolby Atmos in a receiver that can only support two height channels or would you use it in a standard 5.1 or 7.1 configuration?

Last edited:
hk2000

hk2000

Junior Audioholic
These seem under powered, no? And to me, not to include Pre-outs is a deal breaker. The VSX 90 IMO includes everything one would want in a preamp, if only you could use it as such.

Bizarro_Stormy

Bizarro_Stormy

Audioholics Whac-A-Mole'er™
I'm a huge Pioneer fan, but... they both seem kinda "blah"...

$450 for an "Elite"?
Looks as though they're diluting the Elite name at that price point...

Plus, I'd much rather have DTS:X than ATMOS...

and what's the deal with airline food..?

Last edited:
S

surajkandukuri

Enthusiast
Will i be able to use Elite VSX-90 as a preamp to outlaw 7700 or emotiva xpa-7 ??

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Will i be able to use Elite VSX-90 as a preamp to outlaw 7700 or emotiva xpa-7 ??
No, the VSX-90 does not have preouts.

hk2000 said:
These seem under powered, no? And to me, not to include Pre-outs is a deal breaker. The VSX 90 IMO includes everything one would want in a preamp, if only you could use it as such.
We are the niche, not the majority. Most people buy a receiver to use it exactly as featured.

Bizarro_Stormy said:
Looks as though they're diluting the Elite name at that price point...
Probably trying to gain the market share that Denon, Marantz, and Onkyo hold in the mid-fi receiver market. Even a top model standard Pioneer will get looked over when next to these brands to the casual consumer who thinks of Pioneer the same way they do about Sony. Slap the Elite on the receiver and suddenly you can tack on an extra $100 and gain that market share. How much you want to bet that we start seeing Pioneer Elite at your regular Best Buy stores?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis