Pioneer Elite SC-LX701/801 & SC-LX901 Network AV Receivers Preview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Pioneer's exclusive Elite line has always represented the company's best. Topping the Elite line are three new Dolby Atmos/DTS:X network AV models. The SC-LX701 and SC-LX701 are 9.2 channel monsters with nine channels of on-board amplification for full 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos and DTS:X support. The flagship SC-LX901 ups the ante with 11 onboard amplifiers. Factor in HDMI 2.0a, HDR, BT.2020 color support, hi-res music streaming, FireConnect wireless speaker support and that classic Pioneer sound and you have a solid offering with a focus on performance not gimmicks....well except maybe how they've rated amplifier power. Read on to find out.

Read: Pioneer Elite SC-LX701/801 & SC-LX901 Network AV Receivers Preview

M

MandM

Junior Audioholic
Curious how many parts these new Pioneer and Onkyo receivers share? Are they assembled in the same factory? The new remote sure looks familiar.:D

V

vinod.r

Audiophyte
Hi guys,

Could you please correct the MSRP column. The model no seems to be wrong. :)

I keep wondering what happened to good ole honest ratings of 20-20, all channels driven figures. At least, is it available in the manuals the companies provide?

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Curious how many parts these new Pioneer and Onkyo receivers share? Are they assembled in the same factory? The new remote sure looks familiar.:D
Certain key parts are the same..
Class D amplifiers, FETs from IR
Audio DSPs from TI
DACs from ESS
Internet/Wi-Fi module from Libre systems

Assembly will be done in the Onkyo Malaysia factories (2).

Note that Gibson now owns both brands so like D&M(Denon & Marantz) they are combining resources for development, tooling, production and software. Another point not often discussed is royalties.. Royalties for Atmos & DTS-X are significantly high, just as the royalties were for HD above SD, by combining their respective quantities combined royaties are now reduced by 35%..

Just my $0.02... ;)

D

DocSteve

Enthusiast
i bought a Pioneer sclx 701 last week from Best Buy. Very easy to set up using 7.1.2. Atmos pioneer speaker, Monitor Audio silver rx front and center and surround, using polk audio rear back channels and dual velodyne compact subwoofers. Incredible sound, easy to navigate works well with LG uhd 65 tv, roku 4 and samsung uhd bluray. Cable provider is comcast/xfinity. Room dimension 20X30. Sweet spot couch against back wall. Using the MCACC was so easy to set up. Any questions please ask.

P

Pace

Audiophyte
Pioneer actually DOES tell you how much power you can get out of their receivers all channels driven. For 901 it is 850W, 801 810W and 701 760W (and atleast with previous generations these have held true in measurements quite well with all load impendances). And complaining about that additional line of spec with single channel 6ohm output of 200W on these receivers aswell, given that they do state the full bw power output at 8ohms and 0,08% THD, makes you seem rather biased against receivers manufactured by Onkyo...

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
I recently installed a Integra DRX R1.1 and thought it was one of the very best sounding receiver I have ever heard especially for a full 7.2.4 Atmos setup. I was shocked on the clarity and dynamic range this receiver has. No surprise Onkyo decided to go with Pioneer's Amps as they are dynamic and seem to be very powerful over most other receivers I have installed.
Pioneer and Onkyo team up seem to be a great match. Now you can get Pioneer Performance with Onkyo preamp setup which many like. Then others can still take advantage of the Elite line as they have not seem to have lost a step.

B

bedelk

Audioholic Intern
Hello. Sorry to dust off this old tread, but I purchased this receiver last year at a huge discount and it's been great so far in my home theater setup. However, after watching the YouTube videos, etc. i'm wondering if my system would benefit from an external amplifier to power the front stage: Klipsch R-34-c & 2x R-820-F?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hello. Sorry to dust off this old tread, but I purchased this receiver last year at a huge discount and it's been great so far in my home theater setup. However, after watching the YouTube videos, etc. i'm wondering if my system would benefit from an external amplifier to power the front stage: Klipsch R-34-c & 2x R-820-F?
From that little info how would we know? What are you trying to achieve with the more powerful amp? Simply hooking up a more powerful amp wouldn't have any benefit in and of itself.... :) They're both relatively sensitive speakers and an avr should drive them quite well, altho that would somewhat depend on your spl goals and how far away from the speakers you sit. Try using this first http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

B

bedelk

Audioholic Intern
No specific SPL goals, my days of car audio are over ;).

That said, I run a 5.2.4 setup off of this Pioneer AVR and it's plenty loud. I was more curious if the speakers (front stage or even the Atmos speakers - 8in Yamaha) would benefit from a separate amp. I don't want to spend money just to spend money, but I am looking to get the most out of my setup.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No specific SPL goals, my days of car audio are over ;).

That said, I run a 5.2.4 setup off of this Pioneer AVR and it's plenty loud. I was more curious if the speakers (front stage or even the Atmos speakers - 8in Yamaha) would benefit from a separate amp. I don't want to spend money just to spend money, but I am looking to get the most out of my setup.
Just what do you think the benefit of a separate amp as being in this case?

B

bedelk

Audioholic Intern
I suppose I was looking for information/tips from experts (based on the AVR i'm using) that would tell me that the power to my speakers is significantly lower than the factory specs would indicate (which seems like a foregone conclusion) and that moving to a 2 or 4 channel external amplifier (Outlaw or Emotiva as an example) would make my speakers (insert adjective) "come alive". Much to your earlier point, the system itself is plenty loud (the wife hates it as she'd be content watching a 13" B&W TV through headphones), but I'll be honest and say that I enjoyed my 5.1 setup on my Sony STR-V333es much better. If it's a fools errand, then i'll re-direct my time and money elsewhere.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I suppose I was looking for information/tips from experts (based on the AVR i'm using) that would tell me that the power to my speakers is significantly lower than the factory specs would indicate (which seems like a foregone conclusion) and that moving to a 2 or 4 channel external amplifier (Outlaw or Emotiva as an example) would make my speakers (insert adjective) "come alive". Much to your earlier point, the system itself is plenty loud (the wife hates it as she'd be content watching a 13" B&W TV through headphones), but I'll be honest and say that I enjoyed my 5.1 setup on my Sony STR-V333es much better. If it's a fools errand, then i'll re-direct my time and money elsewhere.
If you're not looking to go louder, than the amps in your avr are powerful enough. I'd suggest starting your own thread on the subject and telling us what exactly are you not happy with about the sound of your speakers. Include details like room size, shape, speaker positions, etc. A lot of how good or bad speakers sound can be heavily dependent upon the room their in and their position in it. We may be able to help you out with some simple ideas for placement/toe angle, etc. that will have more sonic benefits than a more powerful amp.

B

bedelk

Audioholic Intern
Thanks, i'll do that... the quick and dirty is I miss the stadium/arena setting on my old AVR... I felt like i was there.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, i'll do that... the quick and dirty is I miss the stadium/arena setting on my old AVR... I felt like i was there.
This is often the difference, a receiver's particular implementation of dsp.

Perhaps using a speaker full range vs speaker with sub/bass management might have an advantage with a more powerful amp....but the "come alive" stuff IMO is more often just an excited guy with a new amp.

PS I do have several avrs and power amps, but didn't find the come alive thing with any combination of such, perhaps played a bit louder/cleaner with the external amp but I'm just not listening as loud as I used to either (being nicer to my old ears).

B

bedelk

Audioholic Intern
I'll start my own thread soon and see where this goes... :)

B

bedelk

Audioholic Intern
Apologies for keeping this thread alive, but the light bulb went off yesterday... previously I must have been too excited with my new amp.

The receiver was bought over a year ago and since I've upgraded my front stage (L,R,C) and both subs. I've also moved the Atmos ceiling speakers a bit when I was sound proofing the ceiling with Rockswool. After talking to a co-worker it became apparent that I need to run the MCACC again (which hasn't been run since last December). What a difference !!! I haven't seen a basketball game on it yet, but the sound imaging in initial race in 'Ready Player One' was way more accurate to what I was seeing on the screen.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis