Pioneer Elite A-20 Integrated Amplifier: Audiophile on the Cheap?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Why can't they put the same amp from a $200 AVR into an integrated amp and charge way less than $300? Peace and goodwill.
Because...

The problem is that it is a low manufacturing volume product compared to an AVR so the AVR will provide the same sound with more power overhead for less money despite its added complexity and features.
Some of it is about pricing the product at what the market will bear, and part of it is about manufacturing costs. While this integrated amp could (and surely does) contain some of the same components as those found in the rest of Pioneer's line up, it will have some unique components. Buy a million widgets for a popular product and they'll cost less than buying 25000 of the same widget for a less popular product.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Do these $200 receivers typically have phono inputs? RIAA equalization and phono pres take extra circuitry and parts. That could be a good example of the cost differentials.
Solid point, but you can buy an external phono preamp for about $20 at full retail. I bet Pioneer can put them into their products for much less.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Dang it. This preview is like a gateway drug. I noticed that it was a Pioneer Elite (like my receiver), and long story short...now I want an SC-79. :D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Dang it. This preview is like a gateway drug. I noticed that it was a Pioneer Elite (like my receiver), and long story short...now I want an SC-79. :D
While I do like my Pio elite, my next receiver will probably be something else. One thing is I'm not convinced that class D is really mature yet. I also don't really care for the gloss finish.

Maybe a Yammy, that is what I had before the Pio (pre-HDMI days) and I loved it.

Otherwise, maybe Anthem, Marantz, Denon.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
While I do like my Pio elite, my next receiver will probably be something else. One thing is I'm not convinced that class D is really mature yet. I also don't really care for the gloss finish.
You might still like their VSX line of Elites. Non-glossy and not class D.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I love the glossy black finish of the old Elites. Both my VSX 92 and my A-35R have it. The VSX 92 has very strong amps. I don't think they had class D in those days did they?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis