pioneer bs 22 issue

N

newton75

Enthusiast
hi :)
i have the pioneer bs 22 with a daiton dta 120 type T (really?) amp
i just noticed that one of my speakers is buzzing at high volumens when i hear the voices in the songs , i did a little research and i think is the tweeter ,., what do you think ? and if it is the tweeter where can i get a replacement? or a better one . i dont care if i need to get 2 in case that they are diferent .. txf for all your answers

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like you may have damaged the tweeter for sure. These things can take quite a bit of abuse too, as I had driven mine with everything from 30w to 200w at elevated levels and had zero issues with them. Replacements should be easy enough to get, but that won't fix the issue of sending them clipped signal.

Dennis Murphy offers an upgraded tweeter and x-over for this speaker, but he likes to sell them as a complete package. You'd probably have to work something out to send yours to him for rebuild.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
hi :)
i have the pioneer bs 22 with a daiton dta 120 type T (really?) amp
i just noticed that one of my speakers is buzzing at high volumens when i hear the voices in the songs , i did a little research and i think is the tweeter ,., what do you think ? and if it is the tweeter where can i get a replacement? or a better one . i dont care if i need to get 2 in case that they are diferent .. txf for all your answers
Swap the wires on the speakers and see if the problem swaps to the other speaker. That is the first thing to try........

N

newton75

Enthusiast
i was ussing them with a leppay 40 wpc and now with a dta 120 wich is 60 WPC i dont think it is abuse , i think they came damaged and now that i can drive them at higher volumens i can hear the issue . is only one of them , swapped the wires listened to each of them separately and is only one .

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
i was ussing them with a leppay 40 wpc and now with a dta 120 wich is 60 WPC i dont think it is abuse , i think they came damaged and now that i can drive them at higher volumens i can hear the issue . is only one of them , swapped the wires listened to each of them separately and is only one .
How long have you had them and how long is the warranty on them. Do you still have your purchase receipt?

Can you see where I'm going with this?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That's the right place to contact him, but I can't find the thread on the AAL speakers here. He will know what you're talking about.

Sounds like you bought them used? Previous owner abused them then. I played mine at abusive levels with 200W and they handled it, but that was unclipped. No speaker is immune to clipping IMO.

N

newton75

Enthusiast
bought them brand new , no rcp XD 1 year with them . im ok if i have to purchase a pair of tweeters if possible the question is where

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd still try to get them warrantied first since you are the original owner. The best place to check would be with the place you bought them from for replacement original tweeters - that's the easiest route, or contact Pioneer directly for a repair shop that can get them for you. When I had a speaker with a tweeter that cracked during a move, I ordered the replacement through a Paradigm dealer.

N

newton75

Enthusiast
im overseas i cant go for the waranty , shipping will cost a lot , i would like to purchase new tweeters or contact dennis to purchase his tweeters and cross overs if possible , where can i contact him? the contact button on the web page is not working , ill call amazon to see if they can sell me tweeters , i purchased the speakers from them . 100dlrs pair , if you can point me to a retailer that sells the tweeters ill apreciate it :), thanks for all your answers

N

newton75

Enthusiast
im reading about the modifications on the bs 22 , dennis swapped the tweeters for vifas tweeters , it seems to be a drop in replacement .does anyone know which one should i get , there are like 5 diferent tweeters , should i get one with the same impedance ? i guess so XD i have basic knowledge about electronics , but i would like to get the best sound quality . any suggestions ?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
im reading about the modifications on the bs 22 , dennis swapped the tweeters for vifas tweeters , it seems to be a drop in replacement .does anyone know which one should i get , there are like 5 diferent tweeters , should i get one with the same impedance ? i guess so XD i have basic knowledge about electronics , but i would like to get the best sound quality . any suggestions ?
I don't think it is a "drop in" replacement. I'm pretty sure if you swap to the Vifa, then you gotta modify the crossovers. You can also PM dennis on this site, he usually responds within a couple days.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think it is a 100% drop in replacement either, certainly not for the x-over. Any other tweeter besides the original will require a new crossover, so the best upgrade option is what Dennis offers since he's already designed it to work properly. Realize if he does sell you the kit, you will have to do the upgrade yourself.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I don't think it is a 100% drop in replacement either, certainly not for the x-over. Any other tweeter besides the original will require a new crossover, so the best upgrade option is what Dennis offers since he's already designed it to work properly. Realize if he does sell you the kit, you will have to do the upgrade yourself.
If you ever needed a sign or a reason to do the AAL upgrade, it doesn't hit you in the face any harder than this.

Bad tweeter. Replace with stock or replace with the DM design, it really is a no-brainer, do the upgrade.

I know he has been hesitant to sale it as a kit though.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
If you insist on a replacement, get hold of Pioneer directly and try to order the ones that were designed for this unit. Nothing will be "better" than the ones designed to work with that box, woofer, and crossover.

N

newton75

Enthusiast
thanks for the advice , i sent a msg to dennis told him that i would like to purchase 2 x- overs from him and i will get the Vifa DX25TG09-04 from parts express , i guess that will be the best option to do a upgrade and fix them at the same time .
for the replacement i went to the pioneer website store , and was unable to find a replacement for the tweeter .they sell remotes and other stuff ,.
what is a AAL upgrade ?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The AAL upgrade IS the new tweeter and x-over for that speaker.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
thanks for the advice , i sent a msg to dennis told him that i would like to purchase 2 x- overs from him and i will get the Vifa DX25TG09-04 from parts express , i guess that will be the best option to do a upgrade and fix them at the same time .
for the replacement i went to the pioneer website store , and was unable to find a replacement for the tweeter .they sell remotes and other stuff ,.
what is a AAL upgrade ?
I would for sure upgrade the tweeter, and change the crossover.
The BS-22 in stock form is nice - however the upgrade is Better!

There is an easier change - which calls for the new tweeter and
a simple capacitor change - this will give more clean detail >>
However it will not smooth out the frequency respone, like the
deeper reworked crossover - which will flatten the response.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis