Pioneer BDP-140 and Elite BDP-52FD and BDP-53FD Blu-ray Players Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Pioneer Electronics has made Blu-ray players for as long as Blu-ray has been around. In prior years, however, they had partnered with Sharp in manufacturing their players and the results were far from noteworthy. While Sharp is doing fantastic things with their new Elite LED Television line, Pioneer decided to take back their Blu-ray players and do them in-house. Today we got to see the three new models which range in price from $199 to $499. The three players are the entry level Pioneer BDP-140 and two Elite models, the BDP-52FD and BDP-53FD. The players each have reduced loading times significantly and they can be used wirelessly with Pioneer's optional AS-WL300 network adapter. They can also stream audio and video from Pandora, YouTube and NetFlix.

Discuss "Pioneer BDP-140 and Elite BDP-52FD and BDP-53FD Blu-ray Players Preview" here. Read the article.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It is about time! I hope they will take back the Plasma TV too. It looks like the BDP-53FD can be a good alternative to the Oppo BDP-93 for those who don't need the MCH analog outs.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
BD Player Weaknesses

Most BD Players today suffer from some Major Weaknesses in my mind.

Such As:

1.) They can NOT stream NetFlix Movies in 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus Audio and 1080p Video (called NetFlix 3), as NetFlix is converting most all their Instant Play streaming titles to this format per NetFlix.

2.) Many players can NOT support via uPnP DLNA playing these filetypes:

.flac
.mp4
.avi

So far what I do know is that the LG BD-670 Model will support no. 2 excluding .flac playback, but not number 1 yet, but LG states they are working on a firmware upgrade for NetFlix 3.

Panasonic 110/210 models will work with NetFlix 3 Now, but do not support number 2 weakness.

What BD Player to date supports both Number One and Two above?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Most BD Players today suffer from some Major Weaknesses in my mind.

Such As:

1.) They can NOT stream NetFlix Movies in 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus Audio and 1080p Video (called NetFlix 3), as NetFlix is converting most all their Instant Play streaming titles to this format per NetFlix.

2.) Many players can NOT support via uPnP DLNA playing these filetypes:

.flac
.mp4
.avi

So far what I do know is that the LG BD-670 Model will support no. 2 excluding .flac playback, but not number 1 yet, but LG states they are working on a firmware upgrade for NetFlix 3.

Panasonic 110/210 models will work with NetFlix 3 Now, but do not support number 2 weakness.

What BD Player to date supports both Number One and Two above?
PS3 can do 100% of 1) and 2/3 of 2) because it can't play .flac
For $249.99 one has to consider the PS3 as a BD player even if they don't use it for games and other things. You may be right though, as I also do not know of a player that can do everything you listed.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
PS3 can do 100% of 1) and 2/3 of 2) because it can't play .flac
For $249.99 one has to consider the PS3 as a BD player even if they don't use it for games and other things. You may be right though, as I also do not know of a player that can do everything you listed.
I think it might be the LG BD-670 if and when they get NetFlix 3 incorporated w/in it, even though it will not play .flac files via DLNA.

For whatever reason, I just don't want a gaming system as my BD/File DLNA Client and player.

In fact, my gut keeps telling me to bite the bullet and go OPPO-BDP93, and they will have a firmware upgrade for NetFlix 3 for sure, just no one knows when.

I will just wait, and see the direction that LG and OPPO take in the next couple months - maybe a nice XMAS Gift. ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis