Pioneer 563a or Philips

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
<font color='#000000'>I have a Philips DVD793CH 5 disk DVD player and a Pioneer 563a DVD player, both are progressive scan. I have not compared the two on video, which one should have the better picture? I use the philips for movies and the pioneer for SACD and DVD Audio. The philips is an older model, do you think I would even see any difference in picture quality between the two if I comapared them?</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Jeff,
What is your opinion on the cd audio playback on the Pioneer at to dvd-a, sacd, AND redbook cd? &nbsp;There are some people who are modding this unit at dvdaudio, but there doesn't seem to be any consensus.
Lyndon</font>

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
<font color='#000000'>Lyndon, to be honest I have not even listened to regular cd's with the pioneer, I let my Denon process the stream from the philips. I only listen to DVD Audio and SACD with the pioneer and they sound stunning, Also my Denon has DTS 96/24 which is just as stunning. I almost can't listen to regualar CD anymore, the other formats spoil you.</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>About that Pioneer 536a (or 563a?): when playing SACDs, does it output a full DSM bitstream or convert it to PCM?

Want to make the leap to this newfangled stuff!</font>

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
<font color='#000000'>On SACD it upconverts to PCM, however it still sounds fantastic. You can't fault it much for a $180 dollar player. It does not sound as good as the Denon I just bought, but I do not think that the conversion is the issue because everything on the Denon sounds better and it should because it cost me $600. Do you want to buy my pioneer Rip? still brand new and under waranty just sitting in a box waiting for a loving home.</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>You devil, you! Nah, I'll wait till I can go hi-rez in both formats! Either that, or wait &amp; see which format bites the dust...too bad SACD seems to be ahead in the market because from what I understand, DVD-A seems to be the better format and the hardware is less expensive. It's like &quot;Beta-vu all over again&quot; except that Sony might be on the winning side this time.</font>

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
<font color='#000000'>Rip, they are both at such a high quality level I have not been able to say which one is for sure better. Some of the SACD's that I have are stunning. I don't mind two formats so long as there is software. DTS 96/24 sounds stunning as well but very little available so far. I hope they start putting more concerts in DTS 96/24.</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>My local Best Buy is selling the Pioneer for $149 right now! &nbsp;That's a great deal.</font>

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
<font color='#000000'>Yeah but I am selling mine for $110 and I will fedx it next day for free
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Josh784

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I have the Pioneer, and the only SACD I've bought so far (and the only one I've seen in stores) is Dark Side of the Moon. &nbsp;

I don't have the greatest stereo, Yamaha HTR-5550, the Pioneer player, Axiom M2i speakers and Velodyne VX-10 sub, but the SACD just seems more lively than the standard DSotM CD, althought that could very likely be the player.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>You cannot beat the 563a for $150. &nbsp;I picked one up Monday at BB for $150. &nbsp;Watched Matrix Reload and T3. &nbsp;I was easy to see that the prog scan looked better than the Interlaced on both movies and that the Matrix Reload is a much better video transfer than T3. &nbsp;Video on this little box is on par with my Marantz dv8400 ($1600 retail machine).</font>

JVC

JVC

Banned
<font color='#000000'>I think both formats are here to stay.......... They keep coming out with new titles for both. We still have cds and cassette tapes. They both have thrived, in seperate circles. I think dvd-a and sacd will too.
I also have the 563A and love it. DSOTM is awesome! I love the part with the guy running from speaker to speaker, in &quot;On The Run&quot;.
I also have the Fragile dvd-a, by Yes. It is very good too.
Y'all enjoy..........</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis